My Movie Watching Project

E

Excelsior Club
Over the last week or so I've finally been catching up on some movies that I've wanted to see but haven't had a chance to. The iPad is awesome for this because I can watch them anywhere. In some ways it's even better than watching them at home - I don't have a stereo connected to my TV and the sound on the TV isn't very good, so watching with headphones, even on a smaller screen (still in HD, though) is better.

Over the last week I've watched (all for the first time):

Lord of the Rings trilogy - I feel like the only person in the world who hadn't seen these. And I only read the first book, years and years ago. Actually I think I only read parts of it - it was for a book report and I was very successful at reading beginnings, middles, and ends of books and writing solid reports on them.

Anyway, I really liked them, of course. Casting was particularly good. I don't know how closely it followed the books, having never read them (at least properly), but everything seemed smooth.

King Kong (2005) - Loved it. My only complaint was that a lot of the special effects weren't done too well; it wasn't as seamless as, say, Lord of the Rings in a lot of spots. But the King Kong vs. 3 T. Rexes was pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen and rendered magnificently. Jack Black was perfect in his role, which I wasn't expecting, and I loved loved loved Naomi Watts.

I also watched The Losers and commented about it in the general comic movie thread, but the short of it is that I liked it.

The next few movies I have slated include The King's Speech, Moon, Red, True Grit (which I'm really looking forward to) and Crazy Heart.

I don't watch movies like some of the rest of you and I don't tend to hyperanalyze them critically so my comments are kind of sparse but I just thought I'd share what I was into.

Re: All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

The Lord of the Rings, Moon and True Grit are amazing. King Kong and The King's Speech are pretty good too. I haven't seen Red or Crazy Heart yet.

I would have liked The Losers a lot more if it had an ending.

I feel like the only person who really really enjoyed King Kong. I'm also the only person who didn't really enjoy Lord of the Rings. Maybe I'm not a person.

I love both. King Kong was one of the best movies of its year, LOTR pretty much the best of all time!

Moon is also excellent, but True Grit was overpromising and underwhelming. It was decent and all, with a lot of great highligths, but it's like most of its hype and buzz was only obligatory.

The iPad is awesome for this because I can watch them anywhere. In some ways it's even better than watching them at home - I don't have a stereo connected to my TV and the sound on the TV isn't very good, so watching with headphones, even on a smaller screen (still in HD, though) is better.

Why does this feel like an add for the iPad?

Lord of The Rings is brilliant and I want to watch the Extended Blurays already.

King Kong was so bad. I hated it so much.

I feel like the only person who really really enjoyed King Kong. I'm also the only person who didn't really enjoy Lord of the Rings. Maybe I'm not a person.

I love KING KONG. I even bought those Production Diaries that came in like a suitcase packaging and everything.

I too enjoyed King Kong. I think it was a pretty great modernization of the original and is my favorite Jack Black performance besides Orange County probably.

I too enjoyed King Kong. I think it was a pretty great modernization of the original and is my favorite Jack Black performance besides Orange County probably.

My only problem with King Kong is that it is WAY too long. I remember being bored watching it in the theater.

My only problem with King Kong is that it is WAY too long. I remember being bored watching it in the theater.

True. It could've stood to have had a lot of trimming. I wouldn't say it bored me though.

The Lord of the Rings, Moon and True Grit are amazing.

Just finished Moon - it was amazing. They captured the loneliness and hurt perfectly.

Although I wish I hadn't been watching while I was eating lunch during the part where he was puking blood and his tooth fell out.

Yeah, same here. Same for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, because the versions I had were the extended ones.

I went crazy yesterday - Terminator Salvation (which I've seen but wanted to watch again - I love it), Red (good, kind of forgettable) and Moon, which I mentioned earlier.

Also, I finally saw True Grit, which I loved. Might have to watch that one again here soon.

I didn't see it in theatres, but yeah it was long. One of those films I enjoyed once, but have no intention of ever watching again.
Yeah, same here. Same for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, because the versions I had were the extended ones.

i know a lot of people feel that way about LOTR, but I love them. I was probably one of the few people who was upset with Return of the King b/c they left so much out of the ending. (War of the Shire mostly)

Terminator Salvation is terrible!

Hated it. Pointlessly ignored the distinctive way all the future wars stuff was set up in earlier films to do a generic Mad Max-looking headache-inducer. Took Christian Bale down a big peg in my books.

Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese was good, and the movie would be better if it had been focused entirely on him.

Latest posts

Back