Namor's ankle wings

DIrishB said:
NOBODY has the genetics for wings in the real world. In terms of evolution, the human (or primate more appropriately in evolution's sake) species would've broken off from whatever genealogical line that birds came from (its theorized they evolved directly from dinosaurs and other reptiles) so long ago those genetics would've been filtered out long ago, not simply turned off. Since they wouldn't have been used in tens of millions of years, the body/DNA would eventually have no need for those genes, and basically "get rid of them" by no longer copying that particular part of DNA helix. It takes a very long time, but thats also how evolution works. Its things such as down syndrome, heart defects, etc, which are the result of what you're referring to. And in those cases, the mutation ALWAYS ends up being a bad thing. Not some cool novelty like growing wings or shooting lasers out of your eyes (and if you tell me there's a human genome for that and its just switched off you're going on my ignore list). Therefore, Angel isn't realistic by any means. And you can't "zap" a gene, you can introduce chemical and amino acid solutions to prompt a change, but its not like a light switch. How old are you by the way? You seem intelligent, its just it seems you haven't really thought out or thoroughly studied up on a lot of your theories.

I am 19 days away from 19 :D But when I say things like 'zap' I'm using my childhood comic book sound effects, I really don't mean an electrical current. However, if in fact mammals are a stem evolution from birds, then yes, humans have a Hoax gene for wings. A Hoax gene is a gene that a species carries but does not use. Over ninty percent of the genome in humans isn't used in protien creation, because the gene doesn't start as GAT (guanine, adnine, thymine) which is the beginning of a genetic sequence to build a protien. Because over time mammalic genes stated that we ammals didn't need these genes so the GAT was removed from the genetic sequence, from whatever chromosome it came from. Humans have a Hoax gene for constant replacement of teeth (think of all the money you could save from the dentist!) we have a Hoax gene for three body segments, we have a hoax gene for wings (several in fact, incect wings, forelimb wings, etc) because we are at the top of the evolutionary tract, we have most every gene (yes some are completely lost) from most every one of our genetic ancestors.

P.S. Don't put me on your ignore list! I think you're cool 8) !

Yeah. Basically everything we enjoy about superhero universes is thoroughly ridiculous when considered from a real world scientific standpoint.

It's 1) up to the reader to suspend belief in the first place and 2) up to the author to use enough finesse and/or confusion in their pseudoscientific explanations to make it possible for the reader to keep their belief suspended.

Hawkeye101 said:
I am 19 days away from 19 :D But when I say things like 'zap' I'm using my childhood comic book sound effects, I really don't mean an electrical current. However, if in fact mammals are a stem evolution from birds, then yes, humans have a Hoax gene for wings.

At one time, MILLIONS of years ago, we MAY have had a recessive gene for "wings" as you put it. No longer though. As I said, evolution has a way of flushing out unused genetics...thats sort of the point of evolution. I thought someone who knows as much as you claim to would have gotten that point.

A Hoax gene is a gene that a species carries but does not use. Over ninty percent of the genome in humans isn't used in protien creation, because the gene doesn't start as GAT (guanine, adnine, thymine) which is the beginning of a genetic sequence to build a protien.

I remember all this from high school biology as well.

Because over time mammalic genes stated that we ammals didn't need these genes so the GAT was removed from the genetic sequence, from whatever chromosome it came from.

Which is exactly what I said. Those genes were removed from out genetic structure LONG ago.

Humans have a Hoax gene for constant replacement of teeth (think of all the money you could save from the dentist!)

Because there was an evolutionary need for that up until a few decades ago when dentistry became a common practice (at least in our country).

we have a Hoax gene for three body segments, we have a hoax gene for wings (several in fact, incect wings, forelimb wings, etc) because we are at the top of the evolutionary tract, we have most every gene (yes some are completely lost) from most every one of our genetic ancestors.

Find me some evidence (which shouldn't be hard to do on the internet) that says we have any genes, hoax or otherwise, for wings. I guarantee the some that are completely lost are going to include the "wings" and the hollow bones required to make them work, and the feathers that go along with it.

P.S. Don't put me on your ignore list! I think you're cool 8) !

I won't, but only because you didn't say a real world version of Cyclops was possible. ;)

Well, okay, yes the wing genes may infact be entirely gone, and we have only mapped out about ten percent of our genetics. If we do still have them, the genetic sequence doesn't start with GAT, so no protiens for a pair of wings grows. It's like this, you have the genetic make up in your big toe for your eye color. However, in your big toe, the eye color gene is 'off'. Nothing happens. The wing thing is the same thing only over several million years. And as far as I know there is no way for humans to become solar batteries and re-direct the energy as red beams from our eyes. :D

Hawkeye101 said:
Well, okay, yes the wing genes may infact be entirely gone, and we have only mapped out about ten percent of our genetics. If we do still have them, the genetic sequence doesn't start with GAT, so no protiens for a pair of wings grows. It's like this, you have the genetic make up in your big toe for your eye color. However, in your big toe, the eye color gene is 'off'. Nothing happens. The wing thing is the same thing only over several million years. And as far as I know there is no way for humans to become solar batteries and re-direct the energy as red beams from our eyes. :D

Exactly what I've been saying...and I think we've mapped more than only 10% of the human genome, though I could be wrong, I'll have to check. You don't need to keep explaining this to me though, I understood it even before you started, I was only trying to point out that due to the rules of evolution we haven't had a need for wings in tens of millions of years (if not more) and therefore those genetic markers have long since been left behind. Like I said, evolution, thats the point of it, getting rid of traits we don't need or use in favor of traits we do need and will use.

DIrishB said:
Exactly what I've been saying...and I think we've mapped more than only 10% of the human genome, though I could be wrong, I'll have to check. You don't need to keep explaining this to me though, I understood it even before you started, I was only trying to point out that due to the rules of evolution we haven't had a need for wings in tens of millions of years (if not more) and therefore those genetic markers have long since been left behind. Like I said, evolution, thats the point of it, getting rid of traits we don't need or use in favor of traits we do need and will use.

Okay fine, mommy was sleeping with some of Big Bird's ancestors behind daddy's back. :lol: And how old are you?

It's so much more complex (and in some ways completely different) than you're making it sound. What became dinosaurs and what became mammals branched apart from a common ancestor almost 250 million years ago. Then over a period of nearly 200 million years, some dinosaurs evolved into small, somewhat bird-like carnosaurs. And they weren't bird-like in order to become birds, but due to millions of years of mutations and natural selection that best adapted them for their careers as swift killing machines.

Very late in this evolutionary process, they developed feathers. Not to fly with, but to serve a separate need. All of these happy accidents eventually made possible working wings (albeit with millions of additional years of evolution) and birds as we know them became a reality. Even as closely related as Cretaceous-era Coelurosaurs are to modern birds, it's not as if a little mutant Deinonychus was born with wings and started flying around.

So yes, our ancient relatives had a genetic code with the potential for wings, but only after an additional couple hundred million years of evolution under the most unlikely and exacting of circumstances.

Last edited:
14rdb said:
It's so much more complex (and in some ways completely different) than you're making it sound. What became dinosaurs and what became mammals branched apart from a common ancestor almost 250 million years ago. Then over a period of nearly 200 million years, some dinosaurs evolved into small, somewhat bird-like carnosaurs. And they weren't bird-like in order to become birds, but due to millions of years of mutations and natural selection that best adapted them for their careers as swift killing machines.

Very late in this evolutionary process, they developed feathers. Not to fly with, but to serve a separate need. All of these happy accidents eventually made possible working wings (albeit with millions of additional years of evolution) and birds as we know them became a reality. Even as closely related as Cretaceous-era Coelurosaurs are to modern birds, it's not as if a little mutant Deinonychus was born with wings and started flying around.

So yes, our ancient relatives had a genetic code with the potential for wings, but only after an additional couple hundred million years of evolution under the most unlikely and exacting of circumstances.

*bows*

Split from the UFF Namor thread.

Continue...

icemastertron said:
Uh...so yeah...Namor. Anyone think they'll give him the wings on his ankles? I doubt Millar would. He'll just fly without them.

I think, if he's going to have wings, they should just put them on his shoes or boots or something. I like the idea of having wings on heels, but it would seem too silly for a guy in the UU.

Goodwill said:
I think, if he's going to have wings, they should just put them on his shoes or boots or something. I like the idea of having wings on heels, but it would seem too silly for a guy in the UU.

No offense to anybody but this little spat seems a little, um.... is there a word for what I want to say? Stupid? Who cares if he's gonna have wings or not. Just wait until the damn story comes out. The argue and bicker about the wings/no wings. :lol:

Hawkeye101 said:
No offense to anybody but this little spat seems a little, um.... is there a word for what I want to say? Stupid? Who cares if he's gonna have wings or not. Just wait until the damn story comes out. The argue and bicker about the wings/no wings. :lol:
I'm gonna have to agree. Namor's wings gets it's own thread? How about a thread on Namor Speculation and we could talk about it there.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm gonna have to agree. Namor's wings gets it's own thread? How about a thread on Namor Speculation and we could talk about it there.

There was a Namor Speculation thread. Don't know what happened to it... :?

I find it amusing Hawkeye101 calls Goodwill an idiot for talking about Namor's wings, while Hawkeye101 went crazy trying to explain scientific explanations for wings and he was wrong anway.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The thread was split off (not by me). I mentioned the wings of Namor to get back on topic for the Namor thread. :?

Namor's dad ****ed a seagull.

FACT.

ProjectX2 said:
There was a Namor Speculation thread. Don't know what happened to it... :?

I find it amusing Hawkeye101 calls Goodwill an idiot for talking about Namor's wings, while Hawkeye101 went crazy trying to explain scientific explanations for wings and he was wrong anway.

I find it amusing when old people fall down...but that's just me.

personally, i would never compare Namor and the greek God Hermes, it would be the stupidest thing ever to have an underwater king with wings.

Latest posts

Back