Namor's ankle wings

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Uh...so yeah...Namor. Anyone think they'll give him the wings on his ankles? I doubt Millar would. He'll just fly without them.

icemastertron said:
:shock:

Uh...so yeah...Namor. Anyone think they'll give him the wings on his ankles? I doubt Millar would. He'll just fly without them.

Ah, cut the faux haughty and uptight attitude, you know you've done it.

As for Namor, I never understood the point of the little wings on the 616 version. One, they (and the little green speedo) make him look like a total fruit. Two, they're too small to be capable of producing the required amount of lift. Three, how does a water-based being develop the evolutionary need to fly? I mean, is Namor the cross-bred result of a human and flying fish?

DIrishB said:
Ah, cut the faux haughty and uptight attitude, you know you've done it.

As for Namor, I never understood the point of the little wings on the 616 version. One, they (and the little green speedo) make him look like a total fruit. Two, they're too small to be capable of producing the required amount of lift. Three, how does a water-based being develop the evolutionary need to fly? I mean, is Namor the cross-bred result of a human and flying fish?

No see, mommy was cheating with Angel's ancestors behind his daddy's back. . .

Wings on Namor's feet are as pointless as they are on Captain America's head.

DIrishB said:
Angel's ancestors were human...hence no wings. That was unique to Warren. ;)

No but the genetics to have wings are written dormantly in their genes.

UltimateE said:
Wings on Namor's feet are as pointless as they are on Captain America's head.
'Nuff said.

They look better without them. But in Namor's case, he'll look better without them.

icemastertron said:
'Nuff said.

They look better without them. But in Namor's case, he'll look better without them.

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Namor will be without ankle-wings...least I hope so. I like his look so far though, like I said he looks like a cross between a Vulcan and an Iroquois Indian. If anything he should have gills on his neck or something, but no other changes (besides the no wings) are needed. Well, maybe a bit more clothing than the green speedo as well.

The wings always seemed like a Greek mythological affectation to me anyway, so I'll be glad to see them gone.

DIrishB said:
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Angel's grandparent's, or anyone else in his family tree for that matter, didn't have wings.

I hate to break out in science.....AGAIN, but you leave me with no choice. Everybody (I'm talking real-world here) has the genetics for wings, EVERYBODY. It is just written in the human genome for them to be 'off'. This is how scientists believe evolution works. Something goes screwy during conception with one of these genes, and poof, a kid with wings. Angel, in all reality, is acctually very realistic. It's just a matter of finding one of these genes (also called Hoax Genes) and zapping them and turning them 'on'.

Did you Know, Bill Evert, the guy that created Namor, named him Namor because it is Roman spelled back words..... Also, the wings were actually fins in the begining....

Vegetable-man said:
Did you Know, Bill Evert, the guy that created Namor, named him Namor because it is Roman spelled back words..... Also, the wings were actually fins in the begining....

Groovy! :D

Hawkeye101 said:
I hate to break out in science.....AGAIN, but you leave me with no choice. Everybody (I'm talking real-world here) has the genetics for wings, EVERYBODY. It is just written in the human genome for them to be 'off'. This is how scientists believe evolution works. Something goes screwy during conception with one of these genes, and poof, a kid with wings. Angel, in all reality, is acctually very realistic. It's just a matter of finding one of these genes (also called Hoax Genes) and zapping them and turning them 'on'.

NOBODY has the genetics for wings in the real world. In terms of evolution, the human (or primate more appropriately in evolution's sake) species would've broken off from whatever genealogical line that birds came from (its theorized they evolved directly from dinosaurs and other reptiles) so long ago those genetics would've been filtered out long ago, not simply turned off. Since they wouldn't have been used in tens of millions of years, the body/DNA would eventually have no need for those genes, and basically "get rid of them" by no longer copying that particular part of DNA helix. It takes a very long time, but thats also how evolution works. Its things such as down syndrome, heart defects, etc, which are the result of what you're referring to. And in those cases, the mutation ALWAYS ends up being a bad thing. Not some cool novelty like growing wings or shooting lasers out of your eyes (and if you tell me there's a human genome for that and its just switched off you're going on my ignore list). Therefore, Angel isn't realistic by any means. And you can't "zap" a gene, you can introduce chemical and amino acid solutions to prompt a change, but its not like a light switch. How old are you by the way? You seem intelligent, its just it seems you haven't really thought out or thoroughly studied up on a lot of your theories.

Hawkeye101 said:
You broke out more bad science in one paragraph than OSC did in three issues of UIM! :lol:

14rdb said:
You broke out more bad science in one paragraph than OSC did in three issues of UIM! :lol:

LOL. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, cuz Hawkeye seems to have a general knowledge of what he's talking about, and seems like an intelligent kid. Its just he seems to miss some of the more important aspects. I mean, if you honestly think we have genetic coding that could give us abilities even close to the mutants in comic books...you're just not living in the real world. Genetics doesn't work that way. We don't have recessive (or turned off genomes as he put it) genes for wings!

Latest posts

Back