NBC's CONSTANTINE (Spoilery discussion)

Re: NBC's CONSTANTINE

Why not?

They've done a pretty good job with Hannibal, and a Constantine series with that tone would be a promising start.

Well, I have never seen Hannibal, so perhaps I am jumping the gun. I hope I am. Maybe I'm just jaded from the awful movie. I'd love for this to be good. I guess we will see.

Well, I have never seen Hannibal, so perhaps I am jumping the gun. I hope I am. Maybe I'm just jaded from the awful movie. I'd love for this to be good. I guess we will see.

I think many of the execs who run the networks have seen the success of certain well done comic adaptations and the money they've brought in (whether films like Avengers or television shows like The Walking Dead) and realize they need to hire the right people to script and produce the shows, people who "get" the original tone and approach of the comics they're drawn from. It took awhile, for sure, but I think they've finally figured that out.

I think many of the execs who run the networks have seen the success of certain well done comic adaptations and the money they've brought in (whether films like Avengers or television shows like The Walking Dead) and realize they need to hire the right people to script and produce the shows, people who "get" the original tone and approach of the comics they're drawn from. It took awhile, for sure, but I think they've finally figured that out.

That would be brilliant.

Last edited:

I'm always amused when we talk about how poorly made a lot of older comic adaptations are prior to, say, Iron Man, and how it took time for execs to "get it". I'm not disagreeing with you - I just think it's funny that it took a well-made movie for execs to realize or understand that they weren't making good shows or movies. As if the crappy parts of the Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, or X-Men movies haven't always been crappy and something just magically changed.

I'm always amused when we talk about how poorly made a lot of older comic adaptations are prior to, say, Iron Man, and how it took time for execs to "get it". I'm not disagreeing with you - I just think it's funny that it took a well-made movie for execs to realize or understand that they weren't making good shows or movies. As if the crappy parts of the Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, or X-Men movies haven't always been crappy and something just magically changed.

No, you're absolutely right. They'd do fun and decent originals in both the Spider-Man franchise with Raimi and X-Men with Singer. The sequels were both better in large part, And they fell apart in their respective third movies. Fantastic Four 1 & 2 were both very disappointing.

But there is an arguable influence of the MCU films on comic adaptations of all types (Film, Television, Animation) since their shared film universe idea spawned one of the most financially successful franchises in history (so far). That's definitely had some noticeable green-lighting of many new comic projects, in development maybe even before Avengers financial success was a sure thing (though it was a pretty sure thing).

But it's like you said, it took the execs awhile to get out of their own way. And amongst the comic book based films and TV series, there'll surely still be a bunch of stinkers. But there are a lot of interesting choices being made for coming adaptations, and it'll still be interesting to check out the results.

And Nolan's Bat-trilogy certainly got a huge amount of critical and commercial success. Between The Dark Knight and Iron Man's success (and Incredible Hulk's modest success) in 2008, the studios began to seriously take notice.

Last edited:

Feeling better about this already.

official-constantine-a174b.jpg

[video=youtube;uPE2oBnzROY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY[/video]

That helmet...

[video=youtube;IDYqkl0rlRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDYqkl0rlRw[/video]

What's the helmet from? Sorry, I'm admittedly ignorant of Hellblazer comics, only read a few arcs.

I've never read a single Hellblazer comic in my life, that's Dr. Fate's helmet

2208934-dr_fate_iis_cool.jpg

I've never read a single Hellblazer comic in my life, that's Dr. Fate's helmet

Lol, the sad thing is I know who Dr. Fate is, I'm surprised I didn't make the connection. Interesting. Guess this means we may see certain other DC characters in the show. Certain characters, like Dr. Fate, Etrigan, maybe Zatanna. Certainly no Batman or Superman.

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the fact that my biggest complaint is that his coat is way too clean looking.

Latest posts

Back