NBC's CONSTANTINE (Spoilery discussion)

Re: NBC's CONSTANTINE

So Constantine won't ever be smoking on the show, from some report released today.

Also, the pilot has been leaked online.

So Constantine won't ever be smoking on the show, from some report released today.

Also, the pilot has been leaked online.

That's a shame. But you know, we wouldn't want the kiddies getting any wrong ideas. Being a morally questionable magician who dabbles in the worlds of demons and angels is fine. But smoking, well kids, that's a no-no. :roll:

That's a shame. But you know, we wouldn't want the kiddies getting any wrong ideas. Being a morally questionable magician who dabbles in the worlds of demons and angels is fine. But smoking, well kids, that's a no-no. :roll:

Yup. That's network logic, for you.

I'm hoping they at least reference he used to be a smoker and developed cancer, then made the pact with demons to rid himself of that cancer.

Though, based on the logic already shown by the network, I can see them not wanting to do that out of fear cancer patients may attempt to make their own deals with the devil. ;)

So just checked out the Pilot episode.

I enjoyed it.

I'm wondering what the deal is with Chas. He's apparently killed midway through the first episode, then shows up later perfectly fine. Liv questions both John and Chas as to how he's ok, but there's no real answer given. Wondering if it'll be revealed later that John made some type of deal with a demon or angel to protect Chas from death by demon attack, or something similar.

Also, while John isn't openly smoking cigarettes in the episode, towards the end he's at a bar and its clearly seen that he's putting out a cigarette in an ashtray while finishing up a beer. So he smokes, but its offscreen.

The end of the episode had a nice twist in terms of character motivations, and sets up an interesting dynamic for later episodes.

When asked if they would have John Constantine smoke, Marshall said, "No we're not. It's the one thing, a compromise I guess. It is network; you can't smoke on network. That's one of his character traits. We're working around that. We're trying to get aspects of it in there as much as possible. We'll see."

Which they did at the end of the pilot. Like I said you don't see him taking a drag or lighting the cigarette, but as Liv finds him in a bar to discuss them joining up to investigate all the locations/incidents on her scrying map, he's clearly putting out a cigarette in an ashtray, before conversing with Liv and ordering another beer. So I guess they can't actually show him smoking, but from time to time we may see him put out a cigarette or flick a butt away (implying he was smoking in between scenes). It's a compromise they had to make due to airing on a network in prime time. But I'm ok with it, since they're obviously doing their best to keep that important part of the character there, they just have to be imaginative with it and toe the line. It makes it more interesting, in that sense, from a production/writing standpoint.

Co-Star Lucy Griffiths off "Constantine"

NBC's upcoming DC Comics-based drama "Constantine" has made a major casting move, with co-star Lucy Griffiths off the show, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The site stated reason for the move: "the show's creators opted to move in a different direction." The role will not be recast, but rather replaced by Zed -- not yet been cast -- a character from early issues of the "Hellblazer" comic.

Last edited:
Co-Star Lucy Griffiths off "Constantine" NBC's upcoming DC Comics-based drama "Constantine" has made a major casting move, with co-star Lucy Griffiths off the show, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The site stated reason for the move: "the show's creators opted to move in a different direction." The role will not be recast, but rather replaced by Zed -- not yet been cast -- a character from early issues of the "Hellblazer" comic.

Weird. Strange time to make that decision after your pilot episode has already been filmed and set up her character as helping John track down demon hot spots across the country.

Angelica Celaya will be Zed.

1919630_10152542746521469_5600872798667340129_n.png

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=103537

Lots of interesting info, there, most of all the fact there's a very real possibility The Spectre may appear on the show, possibly even as a recurring or regular character. They're still waiting to get the ok from DC, but I don't see them axing the idea, as I doubt Spectre will be appearing on Arrow or Flash (though it's possible) or in any of the DC films (except maybe the in development Justice League Dark...but given that wasn't included on the list of upcoming DC films over the next five years I'd assume that's been nixed). Right now the plans are to introduce his human persona, Corrigan, but I think it's a safe bet, should he appear on the show, we'll see him as Spectre eventually.

I don't have the link offhand, but Guillermo Del Toro has said he's not adverse to the possibility of his JL Dark series fitting into the continuity of this show.

So what does everyone think of this show. I finally was able to watch the pilot and second episode. I loved the pilot and how dark and fast pace it was. The next episode was also ok but a bit slower. I wished they could stay in Atlanta because that's where I'm at. Haven't seen the third episode yet.

Overall I like it. There are some aspects of it I am not crazy about. I particularly don't like how they have made him into a "warlock". As anyone who has read the comics knows Constantine is not someone who really adheres to the "formalities" of magic. Therefore seeing him casting spells and such is a bit out of character imo. I am hoping they start adapting more stories from the comics into the show. I figure that since they have gone through the trouble of mentioning Nergal that they will do the story where John gets demon blood. And Perhaps all the mentions of first of the fallen will lead to some type of dangerous habits storyline. I guess we will see.

Yea I agree about the warlock thing. I liked the pilot the best. I wished they would have stayed in that direction. I'll keep watching its on the fence for me right now.

I'm enjoying the show. The Pilot episode was ok. I watched it originally awhile ago when it leaked online (before they changed the ending to write out the Liv character). I re watched it and enjoyed the newer version (maybe because the Liv character was boring).

But I'm enjoying how close to the Hellblazer comic it's staying. Introducing Chas, Zed, Papa Midnight, Nommo/Dr. Mist, and Gary Lester in the first four episodes was great.

Episode 4 is my favorite so far (will watch 5-8 tomorrow night). It's a pretty close adaptation of the first issue of Hellblazer, hunger demon and all. Loved the scene with John and the shaman tripping. And the ending was quite moving (and actually better than the original comic issue in that sense), and definitely helped cement John's gray area approach to what he does. Hopefully Gary's ghost will show up in future episodes.

Also liked that they referenced Mucous Membrane (John and Gary's failed punk band) in the third episode.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show. Matt Ryan is fantastic as Constantine, and the guy who plays Chas is great (but I'm wondering about him surviving that electrical cord through the back/chest in the Pilot... don't remember him having any special abilities in the Hellblazer series, though I only read the first 20 issues or so).

Looking forward to Episode 5, which introduces Jim Corrigan/Spectre, and Episode 10 that'll introduce Felix Faust. They're definitely not afraid to include the mystical characters of the DC universe, and I'm glad to see that.

Last edited:
Overall I like it. There are some aspects of it I am not crazy about. I particularly don't like how they have made him into a "warlock". As anyone who has read the comics knows Constantine is not someone who really adheres to the "formalities" of magic. Therefore seeing him casting spells and such is a bit out of character imo.

I believe that may be influenced by Alan Moore's original characterization of Constantine in Swamp Thing, before Delano took over in Hellblazer. Moore said:

"It struck me that it might be interesting for once to do an almost blue-collar warlock. Somebody who was streetwise, working class, and from a different background than the standard run of comic book mystics. Constantine started to grow out of that."

Again, I'm only slightly familiar with the character and his world, so maybe his early appearances a Swamp Thing don't echo that.

Latest posts

Back