Avengers New Avengers: Civil War discussion (#21-26; spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

So for anyone who wants to get their minds off of Xorn and real fast... here it is.

Cap sits and tries to play arts & crafts but can't get his mind off of Civil War. "Capekillers" with armor and tech designed by Stark sneak up on him and he escapes.

Falcon finds him on a rooftop that used to be owned by Fury. Falcon and Cap talk about things (insert the usual talk about Civil War and "friends") Though Falcon's take on Stark was amusing and the spiel about villains taking the initiative while the heroes bickered was smart. Cap wants to go recruiting.

First they see Spider-Man but don't approach him because basically he's Stark's butt buddy for now. Cap feels bad...

Then they pay Dr. Hank Pym a visit. Pym says he can't join the cause and has already signed the act. Cap gets pissed and wants to leave. Pym turns into Giant Man and puts his hand to block Cap and Falcon from leaving. "Capekillers" show up and Cap breaks Pyms nose with his shield and him and Falcon escape.

They say something like this is getting worse and Cap says they need to go to the next person...

2.5/5

After reading this and USM, I thought to myself "Bendis had writer's block or something for his titles".

Re: New Avengers series discussion (spoilers)

I just needed that last nudge to ditch this title completely (I keep peeking back, hoping it'll settle in), and this issue was it. Hasta la vista.

I think Bendis writes a creditable Iron Man, a good Luke Cage, a great Jessica Jones - but I don't think he understands Captain America at all, and this was awful, a sort of Drill-Sergeant-From-Hell/Punisher-Lite who wandered around feeling sorry for himself and blaming other people and barking out orders.

And when did Pym fall so far on the "hero" ladder? He was a good and interesting character, but starting back around Austen's run in Avengers, it's like someone flipped a switch and the only version anyone can write now is his evil twin.

Just... ick.

Last edited:
Re: New Avengers series discussion (spoilers)

Hmm...I didn't think it was so bad. The story wasn't exactly profound, but this is a Civil War crossover - he doesn't have much to work with.

For me, this issue helped build the stress surrounding Cap during Civil War. For that reason I give it a 3/5.

P.S. Howard Chaykin must never pick up a pencil again.

MaxwellSmart said:

I didn't care for the art at all.

In all my short years on this planet, I have yet to encounter a person with as much forehead as anyone in that issue.

MaxwellSmart said:
For me, this issue helped build the stress surrounding Cap during Civil War. For that reason I give it a 3/5.

omg the it was horrible, i almost jabbed my eye out with his pencil. but i figured it would just look bad and you guys would comment on how bad a job he does. why is cap's head so big?

Ugh.......this had to be the worst Civil War crossover/tie-in issue I've read yet (...and I read the Thunderbolts tie-in).

Art....horrible.

Writing....bland, PG-13, Ennis-wanna be internal monolouge.

Colors....was this done in crayon?

Just ugh. :sick:

This was overall pretty subpar, but it was still better than all of the Avengers Dissasembled crossover titles put together. Heck, I could even throw in most of the HOM tie ins as well.

Civil War is the best big event Marvel has done in a while.

Ultimate MJ said:
This was overall pretty subpar, but it was still better than all of the Avengers Dissasembled crossover titles put together. Heck, I could even throw in most of the HOM tie ins as well.

Civil War is the best big event Marvel has done in a while.

Civil War yes. But not The NA tie-ins. And if you mean all the tie-ins of disassembled against this one issue, I think you might me suffering from a brain hemmorage.

You mean all the Avengers Dissasembled tie-ins that were completely unrelated to avengers dissasembled? I mean seriously, they had nothing to do with the main event. Spiderman was all about him getting organic webshooters.... :shock: . Thor was the best tie-in, and even it was almost completely unrelated except to explain where he was during the whole thing. Thats a shaly connection at best.

Although I will restate that NA 21 wasnt very good, at least it had something to do with the event its a crossover with.

And if I'm suffering from brain hemmoraghing, I think its the same kind as DIB... :wink: :)

Made me cry.

Stark and Warbird are visiting Cage telling him that if they don't register by 8:00 tonight, they will be outlaws.

When they leave, Jessica tries to tell Luke to run away. Luke talks about how he cleaned his neighborhood up and this is where he'll stay.

Jessica is going to take the baby out of harm's way. Luke makes her promise that whereever she is, she won't turn the tv on. They kiss, she gets in a cab, and they're off.

Luke walks back into his home. A bunch of neighbors and kids ask if Luke's gonna register. he says he's gonna go sit in his home and watch tv because that's what he's allowed to do in this country.

At exactly 12:00 midnight SHIELD is at Luke's door insisting he opens up. At first he says he's busy and they should come back. They show the outside where SHIELD tanks and snipers are set up in the neighborhood. They're persistent and Luke takes te sofa and throws it through the door at them.

Then there's the fight Luke Cage Vs. SHIELD. When things aren't looking to good for him. His neighbors start harassing SHIELD. One guy pulls out a shotgun. Then the billy club and the shield. Cap, Falcon, and Daredevil jump in and Daredevil asks if Luke's all right (Iron Fist). They help Luke escape via stealing one of SHIELDs tanks (embarassing moment for SHIELD) Maria Hill comes in via hologram and Luke Cage tells her "The Revolution is coming". He tells Iron Fist er... DD that he sent Jessica and the baby to Toronto.

Niagra

Jessica makes a pit stop to buy some supplies and accidently sees a newsbroadcast about the scene in Harlem. She holds the baby as they announce Luke vs. SHIELD and begins to cry. She's then relieved when she learns he's escaped with the others.

5/5

Bendis knows how to ****ing write Luke Cage. And I couldn't even put to words how phenomenal the scenes between Luke and the child were. Brilliant.

I was also worried about Luke's reaction to the registration because of what he said to Matt during the "Out" Saga of Daredevil. But there's a clear difference between hiding behind a mask, which he's against, and the situation of registration which he's also against. Something I wasn't sure about until I read this. Good work Bendis.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Made me cry.

Stark and Warbird are visiting Cage telling him that if they don't register by 8:00 tonight, they will be outlaws.

When they leave, Jessica tries to tell Luke to run away. Luke talks about how he cleaned his neighborhood up and this is where he'll stay.

Jessica is going to take the baby out of harm's way. Luke makes her promise that whereever she is, she won't turn the tv on. They kiss, she gets in a cab, and they're off.

Luke walks back into his home. A bunch of neighbors and kids ask if Luke's gonna register. he says he's gonna go sit in his home and watch tv because that's what he's allowed to do in this country.

At exactly 12:00 midnight SHIELD is at Luke's door insisting he opens up. At first he says he's busy and they should come back. They show the outside where SHIELD tanks and snipers are set up in the neighborhood. They're persistent and Luke takes te sofa and throws it through the door at them.

Then there's the fight Luke Cage Vs. SHIELD. When things aren't looking to good for him. His neighbors start harassing SHIELD. One guy pulls out a shotgun. Then the billy club and the shield. Cap, Falcon, and Daredevil jump in and Daredevil asks if Luke's all right (Iron Fist). They help Luke escape via stealing one of SHIELDs tanks (embarassing moment for SHIELD) Maria Hill comes in via hologram and Luke Cage tells her "The Revolution is coming". He tells Iron Fist er... DD that he sent Jessica and the baby to Toronto.

Niagra

Jessica makes a pit stop to buy some supplies and accidently sees a newsbroadcast about the scene in Harlem. She holds the baby as they announce Luke vs. SHIELD and begins to cry. She's then relieved when she learns he's escaped with the others.

5/5
Best NA issue yet! :rockon:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Bendis knows how to ****ing write Luke Cage. And I couldn't even put to words how phenomenal the scenes between Luke and the child were. Brilliant.
It's beyond brilliant. Cage is my favorite character written by Bendis. This issue he was just written so intense it was better than Bendis has done with him before. ****, I'd buy a Cage series hands-down if it was by Bendis.

Latest posts

Back