Avengers New Avengers: Secret Invasion discussion (#38-47; spoilers)

I still think Bendis is having trouble established different voices for the villains in question. They mostly seem to be using Bendis speak again. Just because these characters are C-list doesn't mean they should have their established personalities thrown out.

Wizard should be more snide, scarecrow should be more psychotic and Masque really is sluming by hooking up with hood.

I still think Bendis is having trouble established different voices for the villains in question. They mostly seem to be using Bendis speak again. Just because these characters are C-list doesn't mean they should have their established personalities thrown out.

Wizard should be more snide, scarecrow should be more psychotic and Masque really is sluming by hooking up with hood.

First of all Scarecrow is D-List and he didn't talk anyway so he wasn't donw wrong in any way.

Second, Wizard has been snide what are you talking about?

First of all Scarecrow is D-List and he didn't talk anyway so he wasn't donw wrong in any way.?

Whether Scarecrow is D-list or not (he's more c-list anyway, but he is a pretty scary C-lister, is not D-lister, he's way scarier then Stilt-Man), is irrelevant, Scarecrow is not the type to take orders, at all. Scarecrow is completely insane. Scarecrow is so nuts Ghost Rider's Penance Stare did jack to him, he once decided to make a building out of people, another time he decided to pitch fork a baby for no reason and seems to like kidnap kids. This is the not type of guy who would care about money, care about Shield imprisonment or anything the hood has to offer, he would only be in this group if he feels like it and he would disregard orders whenver he feels like it. He's completely Choatic evil. Why is he just being quite, when's far more in character to act completely nuts?

Just because he is C-lister doesn't mean you can just throw out his established personality as a complete nutter.

Second, Wizard has been snide what are you talking about?

Please, he has been written as a skidish scardey cat, not a snide smug snake. Has he called Hood an idiot yet? Called him cheap gutter trash? Becauuse that's how he would view Hood. Has he done anything Starscreamish yet?

Last edited:
Also, a number of these guys are supposed to be dead.

Blackout for example

Well Bendis can't rely on the Skrull excuse for these screw ups in this group anymore, can he?:wink:

Seriously though this is what a super villain group is supposed to be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0O5OPlDXGg&feature=related

A super villain group this big with no backstabbing or double crossing is not only boring, but completely unrealistic.

The hood is supposed to be Michael Corleone, but Michael wasn't just handed his father's empire, he had to fight for it, so unless Hood has to fight for control of his group he isn't Michael Corleone, as Bendis wants him to be.

RE: #45 & 46

It's not that the last couple of issues have been bad, but it's not really going anywhere and doesn't seem to progress the story. OK, so there have been a bunch of Skrulls infiltrating SHIELD...so? I guess it's cool that we are seeing some of the behind the scenes parts of House of M or whatever, but after the issue is done, what does it mean? You'd think that revealing that Skrulls were in major positions of power might show how that being so changed events in the story, but that's not the case.

This whole thing seems so dragged out and repetitive, and the tie-in issues are making it worse.

46 was actually worth reading, though, with The Hood and all. At least in that issue there was some sense of direction in this tie-in arc with seeing The Hood and his gang going to try something.

46 was actually worth reading, though, with The Hood and all. At least in that issue there was some sense of direction in this tie-in arc with seeing The Hood and his gang going to try something.

The Hood's group is still boring though, almost of none of them display their traditional personalities, they are still using Bendis speak when half of them shouldn't and there is no real interesting interaction, backstabbing or double crossing or anything that makes a super villain group interesting.

Last edited:
I just read 47 and in doing so, I had an epiphany:

Brian Michael Bendis is Jessica Jones and he really, really loves Luke Cage. Just read the issue. It allows Bendis to use his beloved word balloons liberally without destroying an entire issue. I'll admit it, what NA 47 delivered was a poignant love story between Jones and Cage that showed how deep that love flows and just how they ended up getting together.

But it also showed that deep within Brian Michael Bendis is a little Jessica Jones, feminine and delicate, who just loves to talk and talk and talk. Somewhere out there, I imagine there is a big, strapping young brother that Bendis has his perpetually-arched brow directed at. Let your love flow, Bendis, let it flow like a mountain stream!

But seriously, Bendis' use of word balloons is much more well-done with Jessica Jones than it is with Peter Parker. Coincidence, or am I just right?

Latest posts

Back