New Punisher TV Show on Fox

The Overlord

Apparently Fox plans on showing a Punisher TV show on its network:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/10/20/fox-targets-punisher-tv-series/

A few things: one why is this on Fox instead of FX? Punisher is a character who doesn't work on network television. Two, why is this show a police procedural? Frank Castle is a fanatical and brutal vigilante who has no friends and is in danger of losing his humanity, he is not the type of character who works in a standard police procedural?

Seriously Daredevil would work better as a Network TV show, its easier to write Daredevil on a PG-13 show then Punisher and Daredevil could be both a super hero and a lawyer show.

Last edited:
It's good to know that The Punisher is going to get a fourth adaptation that's completely wrong.

I'm starting to think Marvel don't even understand the character.

THE PUNISHER should be an HBO series of 90-minute movies based on Garth Ennis' MAX run.

And even then, what would be the point? Would you improve that run? I doubt it.

But this idea: this idea is simply Ed Bernero having an idea for a vigilante TV show and realising he can sell it easier if he tries to call it THE PUNISHER rather than SOMEONE ELSE. The whole thing sounds preposterously bad, much like the ALLY MCWONDER WOMAN thing.

There's no excuse for this demographic muddling of cliches on TV when there are so many channels and places like HBO can produce shows like IN TREATMENT and THE WIRE. The quality of TV is so high, and its diversity is so broad, this kind of idiocy should have no place in the industry.

Last edited:
I'll watch it, only if he goes, "I'm getting too old for this ****".

This is so stupid, on so many levels

leave it to fox

stupid fox, seriously i don't know what it is about comics but everytime they attempt to adapt a comic they just go "eh **** it"

unrelatedly "White hearthrob live action Akira" is back on track

arrrrrrgh

Everyone just remember that this will almost certainly never make it to the fall schedule.

A few things: one why is this on Fox instead of FX?

Because Fox picked it up and FX didn't. What do you want them to do? Or hell, maybe it was Fox that asked for the show(In fact, going by the article, this seems to be the likely explanation).

Also, remember that FX isn't an option. Hell, i'm surprised that a Marvel show is being done on a none Disney owned channel.

Fox has had plenty of shows that have people getting shot and killed anyway. Not that it matters, this is Fox, so i give this a season at best.

Last edited:
Considering Rescue me is over after this last season, a gritty Punisher would be a logical replacement.

Last edited:
Because Fox picked it up and FX didn't. What do you want them to do? Or hell, maybe it was Fox that asked for the show(In fact, going by the article, this seems to be the likely explanation).

Also, remember that FX isn't an option. Hell, i'm surprised that a Marvel show is being done on a none Disney owned channel.

Fox has had plenty of shows that have people getting shot and killed anyway. Not that it matters, this is Fox, so i give this a season at best.

Punisher isn't about people getting "shot and killed" its about a brutal violent vigilante with a fanatical mission who is in danger of losing his own humanity. He has no family and no friends, so he has no real supporting cast. Does this sound like the kinda thing that works on network TV? Of course not, so they are changing Punisher into a cliched police procedural. They are taking everything unique about the Punisher and stripping it away, to create a generic cookie cutter show.

FX and Fox are owned by the same corporation though, so there is no reason why Punisher couldn't air on FX if Fox optioned it and even a remotely faithful Punisher show would work far better on FX then Fox. Can you tell me any reason why FX isn't a option if it is owned by 20th century Fox?

Punisher is not a good fit for network TV, so putting this show on Fox comes off as very foolish. Punisher doesn't fit into the box of network programing so they are changing him into something he is not, a poor man's Dexter. Frankly there are many Marvel characters who work better on network TV then Punisher, so why are they are trying to fit Punisher into this box?

Daredevil is a super hero and a lawyer, so with DD you can have a super hero and a lawyer show. That works better as a network show then Punisher.

Even if this show does get cancelled right away, that's not good either, another bad media adaption will not promote the character well for a larger audience.

Last edited:
Punisher isn't about people getting "shot and killed" its about a brutal violent vigilante with a fanatical mission who is in danger of losing his own humanity.

Actually, it is. How violent it is is irrelevant. As long as we have a vigilante that takes the law in his own hands and kills criminals to avenge the death of his family. Mind you, we haven't seen anything about it yet.

The problem is the level of violence , the problem here the the crappy plot. Punisher could work on network TV just find with a good story.

Good Punisher stories aren't good because they are violent, but because they are well written. If this actually had a good plot behind it, it wouldn't matter if it was on network TV. And again, Network TV has shows were people get killed. Unless a viewer is a bloodthirsty Psycho, a good still whats important.

As for why not FX, that should be obvious.

But again, it's moot. It's Fox, so it won't last long.

Last edited:
Actually, it is. How violent it is is irrelevant. As long as we have a vigilante that takes the law in his own hands and kills criminals to avenge the death of his family. Mind you, we haven't seen anything about it yet.

The problem is the level of violence , the problem here the the crappy plot. Punisher could work on network TV just find with a good story.

Good Punisher stories aren't good because they are violent, but because they are well written. If this actually had a good plot behind it, it wouldn't matter if it was on network TV. And again, Network TV has shows were people get killed. Unless a viewer is a bloodthirsty Psycho, a good still whats important.

Let's not kid ourselves, violence is part of the character. Frank choose a path of violence and the fact he lives a life of violence is part of what challenges whether Frank has any humanity left or not. Just because something is violent doesn't mean it is brainless schlock, there are many great works fiction that were very smart and very violent.

The story of Punisher is good, but it is a story of violence, its a study of what kind of person would do the violent things Frank does, take that out and the story is far less effective and far more generic. Punisher is about violence, the effects of violence, the consequences of violence, etc. tTake that away and you take something away from the character.

If the show is just Frank shooting and killing people, without studying the life violence he choose, its not the Punisher, its a generic action TV show.

As for why not FX, that should be obvious.

But again, it's moot. It's Fox, so it won't last long.

Yes its obvious, its obvious Fox is being stupid here and putting something that work well on cable and putting on network TV where it will not work and Fox will have spent a bunch of money on a show that's doomed to fail, instead of investing in something that could have been a success if it aired on cable. This is why network TV is mostly awful nowadays.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about it being on Fox (24 and House prove plenty of graphic content can make it to Fox's primetime) I'm worried that this story they're choosing for him is completely off character. Overall there were plenty of Marvel characters that would have fit this role better.

I'm not worried about it being on Fox (24 and House prove plenty of graphic content can make it to Fox's primetime) I'm worried that this story they're choosing for him is completely off character. Overall there were plenty of Marvel characters that would have fit this role better.

Heroes For Hire, for instance.

Latest posts

Back