New Questions Answered by Robert Kirkman

Re: New Questions Answered by Robert

TheManWithoutFear said:
I agree with E.Vi.L, E, and Cad. It doesn't bother me as much as some other stupid mistakes in regards to Ultimate Continuity.

Besides read Walking Dead. Kirkman can do no wrong.

The Walking Dead bored me after a while.

Invincible is still pretty good though.

There's no definite screw-up there. Just because the Greys put their daughter in an asylum doesn't make them bad people. Sometimes you need to know when to say to yourself, "She needs more help than I can give her, it's time to turn to a professional."

Potential timeline:
1. Jean Grey's parents institutionalize her after her powers manifest.
2. Charles Xavier finds Jean and creates the telepathic blocks that stunt her powers.
3. Jean's parents can't bring themselves to take her back (some event that happened between when she manifested and when they put her in the institution, or maybe a belief that it's a temporary fix and it'd hurt too much to give her up again) but her uncle is more agreeable. They still maintain contact with Xavier to get updates on their daughter.
4. Jean moves in with her uncle.
5. Jean begins attending Xavier's school and works with Scott and Xavier to form the X-Men.
6. Ultimate War begins.
7. Janet Pym visits Jean's parents to see if the last report on Jean included the location of their current safehouse.

jtg3885 said:
There's no definite screw-up there. Just because the Greys put their daughter in an asylum doesn't make them bad people. Sometimes you need to know when to say to yourself, "She needs more help than I can give her, it's time to turn to a professional."

Potential timeline:
1. Jean Grey's parents institutionalize her after her powers manifest.
2. Charles Xavier finds Jean and creates the telepathic blocks that stunt her powers.
3. Jean's parents can't bring themselves to take her back (some event that happened between when she manifested and when they put her in the institution, or maybe a belief that it's a temporary fix and it'd hurt too much to give her up again) but her uncle is more agreeable. They still maintain contact with Xavier to get updates on their daughter.
4. Jean moves in with her uncle.
5. Jean begins attending Xavier's school and works with Scott and Xavier to form the X-Men.
6. Ultimate War begins.
7. Janet Pym visits Jean's parents to see if the last report on Jean included the location of their current safehouse.
That's good thining. It's definetly possible for that to happen, and things still be fine.

Ice said:
That's good thining. It's definetly possible for that to happen, and things still be fine.
There's also the possibility that Xavier and Uncle Grey had some sort of interaction (didn't Jean have cousins in 616?) and THAT'S why he took Jean in between the asylum period and the school.

Ultimate Warrior said:
UW02-03_s.jpg

UW02-04_s.jpg

UW02-06_s.jpg

Well, if that was suppose to be her uncle, when were they gonna tell US that? :?

What if the parents that abandoned jean was her mom and step dad while her dad took her in. Still, full of holes. Dumb Kirkman.

MaxwellSmart said:
I just checked the Ultimate X-Men handbook too. Under known relatives it has "Professor Grey (father)." The man can't even read a handbook to confirm what's been established about his characters. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy...

Everyone has relatives - just because Professor Grey has been established as a character with Jean, doesn't mean what Kirkman was saying isn't true./

roguefan said:
Everyone has relatives - just because Professor Grey has been established as a character with Jean, doesn't mean what Kirkman was saying isn't true./

Yes, but I think Maxwell is trying to say is that he thinks Kirkman thinks that Professor Grey is her uncle, when in reality, he is her father.

roguefan said:
Kirkman said:
I believe Jean was abandoned by her parents and sent to an asylum. After which, her uncle adopted her. No continuity error there.
I say he's being sloppy because he states it in such a way that says he is supremely confident his knowledge about Jean's established backstory when in fact there is no evidence to support that conclussion. He could further develop her backstory and include those parts, but he says it as if it's already fact and that isn't correct.

Things would be fine if Kirkman only hadn't mentioned an uncle. What Jean says in #70 is: "When I started to hear voices and see things, my parents dumped me in a funny farm and never looked back."

I can see a young girl seeing it that way, even when her loving parents were just thinking about her well-being putting her in an institute. Even if they took her back before she went to Xavier's, Jean might still feel they abandoned her when she needed them the most.

So, Prof. Grey loves his daughter and would do anything to help her, but Jean thinks her parents don't love her and just wanted to get rid of her.

And then Mr. Kirkman goes and mentions an uncle who's never been talked about before.

Last edited:

vintsukka said:
Things would be fine if Kirkman only hadn't mentioned an uncle. What Jean says in #70 is: "When I started to hear voices and see things, my parents dumped me in a funny farm and never looked back."

I can see a young girl seeing it that way, even when her loving parents were just thinking about her well-being putting her in an institute. Even if they took her back before she went to Xavier's, Jean might still feel they abandoned her when she needed them the most.

So, Prof. Grey loves his daughter and would do anything to help her, but Jean thinks her parents don't love her and just wanted to get rid of her.

And then Mr. Kirkman goes and mentions an uncle who's never been talked about before.
Thank you. Why couldn't Kirkman see it like that?

MaxwellSmart said:
Thank you. Why couldn't Kirkman see it like that?

I thought also that explanation would be the reason Kirkman would give. I don't think anyone who gets dumped by their parents into an insane asylum whether they had good or bad intentions would appreciate their actions.

MaxwellSmart said:
I say he's being sloppy because he states it in such a way that says he is supremely confident his knowledge about Jean's established backstory when in fact there is no evidence to support that conclussion. He could further develop her backstory and include those parts, but he says it as if it's already fact and that isn't correct.

He states it in a way that he knows he goofed and explains the new reasoning that he's made up. All he has to do now is go into detail about it in the actual comic and his word would be as good as gold.

Thread title fixed. Thanks Cad for the heads up. I noticed it yesterday and meant to change it but I must have been distracted by a large shiny object or something.

You know, this could be one of those things that Millar created as part of the backstories but has never been used and Kirkman picked it up. Don't all run to heap blame on him when you have no way of knowing that goes on behind the scenes.

I am confident Kirkman will pick it up - eventually. He seems to be laying the bricks for some very interesting things here - the return of Weapon X with Sabertooth collecting blood samples and the Hellfire Club making a return. Cable will be introduced, too, and there is probably a big reason why, too. We'll see what happens.

Re: New Questions Answered by Robert Kirkman - Updated with More Answers!!

Hi-Fi said:
4)Magneto/Longshot situation. Now that you're in for the long run, any chance you'll touch on this subject?

Of course... [but not for a while.]
THANK YOU!

Sweet... I'm pretty sure that's the best piece of news from Kirk since this thread began. Ice knows how awesome that news is to me... :)

Latest posts

Back