New Ultimate Spider-Man (Warning SPOILERS ahead!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This new Spider-Man aside, I think Peter Parker should be white, but that's just my opinion. Spider-Man doesn't always have to be Peter Parker, but I think Peter should be white. So if he were re-imagined today, I couldn't see him being black, Hispanic or Asian. What if Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent were black? That would just be weird, because they're so iconic. Sure, being white isn't exactly one of their defining characteristics, but it fits them.

What does that have to do with anything? Even if he'd been Jewish (as Bendis tried horribly to do), he's still WHITE. Judaism is a Religion, not a Race, it's no more a race than Catholicism or Islam.

Secondly, they're not making Peter blended race, they making the new Spidey blended race. So you concern of them not making Peter white, is kind of moot, now isn't it?

What does that have to do with anything? Even if he'd been Jewish (as Bendis tried horribly to do), he's still WHITE. Judaism is a Religion, not a Race, it's no more a race than Catholicism or Islam.

Secondly, they're not making Peter blended race, they making the new Spidey blended race. So you concern of them not making Peter white, is kind of moot, now isn't it?

Can you just try not to be a snob for once in your life? I never mentioned anything about Jewish Spider-Man in my post. That's completely irrelevant. Secondly, even if I was talking about Jewish Spider-Man, I could have been referring to ethnic Jews, not the religion. Third, me saying that Peter Parker should be white isn't "moot," it was part of the discussion that we were having about if Peter Parker were re-imagined today.

Langsta you need to watch your attitude and how you yourself reply to people. Jaggyd's post was fine and she only explained her thoughts like you have.

I for one do not mind spidey being black and will pay for the first couple of issues of this book.

If it sucks I will go straight back to downloading, I've already spent to much money on Ultimate issues written by Loeb to waste anymore money on this.

Langsta you need to watch your attitude and how you yourself reply to people. Jaggyd's post was fine and she only explained her thoughts like you have.

Whatever. I'm just tired of people being so self-righteous on this board. I said nothing offensive, and she replied acting like she's the spokesperson for the entire Jewish community. It's other people on this board who need to watch their attitude. Everyone on here is so serious and uptight all the time and this board has become quite unpleasant as a result. I guess I quit, I revoke my membership, if none of us can tolerate each other's opinions.

So according to the internet, Miles Morales appears in Ultimate Spider-Man #61 (Carnage, Pt. 2). Can anyone verify?

Well here are the AA's that appear in that issue:

Ult. Ben Reilly.
Guy in first panel where Parker and Conners meet
Passenger on bus that Punisher gets thrown into.

Its hard to say, so no answer can be given. Hopefully Bendis didn't change Reilly's name. He did work for Doc Ock and could of had access to the Oz formula. Haven't seen him since 102 and it was never shown if he was a victim to Carnage.

I have to say, I immediately understood why Langsta called her a snob. It's not that Jaggyd was actually being snobbish, rather, she was responding to several points brought up in the thread but didn't differentiate Langsta's post from those she was commenting on and misread his intent (it's quite clear that Langsta wasn't referring to the Jewish points and rather the discussion of Peter Parker being black as opposed to Spider-Man; he's quite clear when he says "this new Spider-Man aside").

So Jaggyd proceeded to tell him why an opinion he never had is wrong as if he had that opinion. That will appear very condescending because it kinda is (though unintentional).

Whatever. I'm just tired of people being so self-righteous on this board. I said nothing offensive, and she replied acting like she's the spokesperson for the entire Jewish community. It's other people on this board who need to watch their attitude. Everyone on here is so serious and uptight all the time and this board has become quite unpleasant as a result. I guess I quit, I revoke my membership, if none of us can tolerate each other's opinions.

It's a small misunderstanding. I'm sure Jaggyd didn't mean to piss you off (it's easy to lump a discussion together especially since avatars don't always make it immediately obvious it's different people posting) and I don't think anyone would be happy to see you go. However, your post makes it sound like this is a long-term frustration you've been having here, which is a shame, because I've been completely unaware of it and thus, can't defuse it on your end. :(

I'd like to apologize to you Langsta. I did come off as a bit *****y, but I was baffled by your insistence how "This new Spider-Man aside, I think Peter Parker should be white, but that's just my opinion.". I was trying to get you to understand, Peter is/was white, even if the character were overtly/openly a Jew, he's still a white kid from New York.

You seem to be waving the same straw man Glenn Beck is. They're not changing Peter, at all, it's just the kid in the suit. So the relevance of making Peter, Batman, Superman into minorities is a moot point to the discussion. So your argument was for an nonexistent issue.

I have to say, I immediately understood why Langsta called her a snob. It's not that Jaggyd was actually being snobbish, rather, she was responding to several points brought up in the thread but didn't differentiate Langsta's post from those she was commenting on and misread his intent (it's quite clear that Langsta wasn't referring to the Jewish points and rather the discussion of Peter Parker being black as opposed to Spider-Man; he's quite clear when he says "this new Spider-Man aside").

So Jaggyd proceeded to tell him why an opinion he never had is wrong as if he had that opinion. That will appear very condescending because it kinda is (though unintentional).

Actually, if you reread the post I responded to, I was more pointing out his straw man of "I don't want them to make Peter a minority". That's not the issue at hand, the issue at hand is Marvel essentially creating a legacy character in Miles, while leaving Peter unchanged.

The Jewish stuff was part of the other conversation about Bendis' writing of Peter. That like Christianity, Judaism is a religion, and doesn't change the fact that Peter Parker is a white kid.

Last edited:
So according to the internet, Miles Morales appears in Ultimate Spider-Man #61 (Carnage, Pt. 2). Can anyone verify?

Well here are the AA's that appear in that issue:

Ult. Ben Reilly.
Guy in first panel where Parker and Conners meet
Passenger on bus that Punisher gets thrown into.

Its hard to say, so no answer can be given. Hopefully Bendis didn't change Reilly's name. He did work for Doc Ock and could of had access to the Oz formula. Haven't seen him since 102 and it was never shown if he was a victim to Carnage.

There was one more black kid in the a corner of the pannel where Spidey has Boomerang and the Punisher webbed up. But he looks too old. Miles is supposed to be a 13 kid (from Brooklyn) and he was probably 12 when the Carnage arc. happened. The other kid looks at least 15. So I'd say no.

Last edited:
I hope Miles Morales is a raging racist.

I guess I'm just wondering if Bendis will be able to pull off making Miles Morales different from Peter Paker. He'll have a different personal life and stuff, but when he puts on the mask, is he just going to be the same Spidey? or even the same Spidey, just less confident in himself? if this is going to work, Miles Morales needs to be a DIFFERENT person than Peter Parker. And as much as I consistently love USM, I have very little faith in Bendis' characterization abilities.

He definitely sounded differently than Peter when he was under the mask (despite one review saying just the opposite). Not immediately noticeable if reading too fast or not as well versed in USM, but it's there.

He definitely sounded differently than Peter when he was under the mask (despite one review saying just the opposite). Not immediately noticeable if reading too fast or not as well versed in USM, but it's there.

He's less "cocky"; more timid or reserved. Not sure how that will work since that is one of Spider-Man's most noticeable and memorable traits.

I think we should let Peter Parker be whatever color Peter Parker wants to be.

This is America.

[video=youtube;JvNLlwkwP64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNLlwkwP64&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I think this Spider-man should have replaced Parker :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back