Newarama shows the cover to Ultimate Power #1 on Joe Fridays & more.

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to pop in here and put an end to a few assumptions.

First off, everything I do on X-Men will be an effort to make things more different from the 616, even it it doesn't immediately SEEM that way. I agree with you all that they should be as different as possible.

Also. Cable will not be Scott's son, or related to him in any way. In fact, I'll tell you right now, that Cable is not ANYONE'S brother, son, mother, father, uncle or any other relation. He's going to be different.

As far as his LOOK goes, yeah, it's a little similar to the 616, face aside... but Cable is HARD to change unless you make him a teenager and I DIDN'T want to do that (for one, that was DONE in the 616--X-Man). He's worn 10,000 different costumes, sometimes in the SAME issue, and sometimes on the same PAGE. So unless you make him completely different. He's going to be kinda similar. You don't complain about Cyclops having a VISOR do you? Or Rogue's white streak of hair or Wolverine's CLAWS.

Same thing.

Besides, I think the ORIGINAL Cable, Rob's Cable from New Mutants and X-Force looked DAMN cool... and so I wanted Ultimate Cable to reflect that.

Character-wise... he's totally different, as you'll see in the issue.

So, give it a shot, it's a cool issue and a cool arc and it leads to HUGE shake-ups in the book (which I think the book needs).

And future stuff... yeah, Cable is from the future... sorry about that. I think it's cool. I don't think it'll ruin the book. I don't see why it's okay for Ultimate FF or Ultimates but shouldn't be in this book. Maybe Spider-Man... but I think X-Men has a LONG history with time-travel. And y'know, I'm trying to make it not suck.

Besides, it's not like time travel is going to be a HUGE part of the book. It's just going to be mentioned here and there in relation to Cable. The X-Men do not go to the future or anything.

Anyway, I'll be around, and if you have more questions, it'd probably be easier to find me over at my message board, which I think some of you have already done.

Keep reading!

-Robert

Robert Kirkman said:
Hey, everybody. I just wanted to pop in here and put an end to a few assumptions.

First off, everything I do on X-Men will be an effort to make things more different from the 616, even it it doesn't immediately SEEM that way. I agree with you all that they should be as different as possible.

Also. Cable will not be Scott's son, or related to him in any way. In fact, I'll tell you right now, that Cable is not ANYONE'S brother, son, mother, father, uncle or any other relation. He's going to be different.

As far as his LOOK goes, yeah, it's a little similar to the 616, face aside... but Cable is HARD to change unless you make him a teenager and I DIDN'T want to do that (for one, that was DONE in the 616--X-Man). He's worn 10,000 different costumes, sometimes in the SAME issue, and sometimes on the same PAGE. So unless you make him completely different. He's going to be kinda similar. You don't complain about Cyclops having a VISOR do you? Or Rogue's white streak of hair or Wolverine's CLAWS.

Same thing.

Besides, I think the ORIGINAL Cable, Rob's Cable from New Mutants and X-Force looked DAMN cool... and so I wanted Ultimate Cable to reflect that.

So, give it a shot, it's a cool issue and a cool arc and it leads to HUGE shake-ups in the book (which I think the book needs).

And future stuff... yeah, Cable is from the future... sorry about that. I think it's cool. I don't think it'll ruin the book. I don't see why it's okay for Ultimate FF or Ultimates but shouldn't be in this book. Maybe Spider-Man... but I think X-Men has a LONG history with time-travel. And y'know, I'm trying to make it not suck.

Besides, it's not like time travel is going to be a HUGE part of the book. It's just going to be mentioned here and there in relation to Cable. The X-Men do not go to the future or anything.

Anyway, I'll be around, and if you have more questions, it'd probably be easier to find me over at my message board, which I think some of you have already done.

Keep reading!

-Robert

Mr. Kirkman - it's an honor to have you join us. Welcome to The UC.

Great points about the visor, and you just put my mind to ease about Cable. Thanks. :D

Welcome Kirkman.

It's nice to get feedback from creators now.

I'm looking forward to it. Truly, I didn't enjoy your last few issues that much, so I'm hoping you do great things.

I do enjoy Marvel Teamup and Marvel Zombies.

Last edited:
*walks in*

<insert suck-up comment here>

*walks out*

Though Invincible is a heck of a lot of fun.

MaxwellSmart said:
If this is were closer to April 1st I'd think this was a joke by E or Ice.

I swear on my children it's not me.

If it's Ice I would kill him. But it's not. :D

Robert Kirkman said:

Same thing.

Keep reading!

-Robert
Welcome Zombie Master. I hope you continue to bless us with your wisdom.

Good point about Time Travel being okay in say UFF and not here. One of the nice things about the Ultiamte Line is that its still small enough that it should have an overall cohesion. If something can be done in one title others should have acess to it as well.

Personally, I'd take Cable being a relative of Scott/Jean before time traveling anyday.

MaxwellSmart said:
Personally, I'd take Cable being a relative of Scott/Jean before time traveling anyday.
I think the X-Men are way to intrebred in 616, we don't need to bring that to the Ultimate Line. I mean if they were as connected in real life they'd all have banjos and an extra toe.

Baxter said:
I think the X-Men are way to intrebred in 616, we don't need to bring that to the Ultimate Line. I mean if they were as connected in real life they'd all have banjos and an extra toe.

Post of the Day.

Well I'm glad that Cable won't be related to Scott, and I don't really mind the time travel too much (as long as its toned down, and we don't find out that Bishop is from an alternate future reality, or something like that).

I wonder how far in the future Cable is from, and how old he is going to be.

*Drunk*
Robert Kirkman said:

Let's not go too overboard. Some of the younger generations only know the Ultimate Universe as their only X-Mythos. Ridding us of the complexity of Cable, that many seem to hate, is very cool. But please don't think that we want everything to be drastically different in the UU.
*thumbs up* Since I started reading 616 Cable beginning with Fabian's take on him, the whole Summer's relationship really meant little to me anyway. He's a great character on his own.

Same thing.
Exactly. Just like people who want big "differences" but are all right with the fact Spider-Man's origins are basically the same.

Give it a shot? Dude, we even read UIM. You could turn Ultimate Cable into Ultimate Speedball and we'd still read it.

*Skeptical* But I'm a big fan of your works and was impressed with what you were doing with UXM anyway, so I'll stay open for you.

Robert Kirkman said:

Keep reading!

-Robert
Well, that's pretty damn cool of you to stop by. Maybe you won't get a chance to get back to the site for a bit but I'll just toss it out that I've recently become a big fan of your works. And as the "#1 reason to avoid this site", I welcome you. Hope you can get back to us soon or occasionally.

*/drunk*

All right now talking outside of Kirkman. Time travel? meh. *crosses fingers* Can't wait to see how he got the "techno arm" though and the glowing eye. Both musts for the character. Physical appearance is good. Story = let's wait and see.

Robert Kirkman said:

Same thing.

Keep reading!

-Robert

ANOTHER writer on this board?! Wow, we're getting popular! Welcome, Robert!

Anyways, my biggest thing was the time travel. It's cool that he's not related to anyone, I just feel time travel is beyond the scope of X-men and was a mistake in 616. It gets away from the mutant agenda, ya know? When I first heard about you introducing the Shi'ar, I had a similiar reaction (Since aliens were another thing I thought was a mistake to bring into the X-books), but since they weren't aliens, I was cool with it.

I really like Cable. . .I just never liked the time travel/Scott's son aspects of him. I was excited when I heard you were introducing him. And your points about Scott's visor or Wolverine's claws do make sense.

Still, I'll check it out. With Cable appearing, I'm hoping you tackle Apocalypse soon since you're on the book for the long run now. Here's to hoping you have some good stuff planned for the next year or so!

PS Keep up the good work on Walking Dead and Invincible, too!

Who was the writer we had before Kirkman? :?

Time Travel can work, its convuluted Time Travel that gets tricky in the sort of way that I think people get so frustrated with...

I mean, look at The Flash. Bart Allen, the current flash is the grandson of the second flash, whose wife birthed twins in the 30th Century... Then get into all the stuff with the original Professor Zoom coming back in time only to find out he will become P.Zoom and then goes crazy and thinks he's Barry Allen, only to get sent into the future, where he will eventually come into the past and be the nemesis he found out he would become... Its all confusing.

Cable is the same, and I think you satisfied us in the sort of way that at least I needed to hear... By discarding his relationship to Scott Summers, we can probably assume he wasn't yanked into the future by his elderly younger sister from another universe to become the new War Jesus... Not that I have a problem with him being a War Jesus, but I do have a problem with an old rachel summers deciding her younger brother should be the new lord and saviour...

What, I think one can then assume is that he comes from a future where Xavier's blatant ignorance of the existance of Apocalypse leads to a future where he becomes all-powerful ruler of earth, with a small human/mutant faction rising up against him...

By coming back in time, he is essentially willing to erase his entire life, and everything he ever loved, in the dire hope that something better can happen... That is noble, and could lead to a great character addition to the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

I am making a lot of assumptions of course, but what else am I suppose to do?

Also: Welcome to the boards, Mr. Kirkman. I hope this is more than just a quick popping in, and that we can expect to hear from you more often...

I look forward to an exciting run on Ultimate X-Men, and would love to hear what you have to say about certain things you think have worked on the title, and other things you think really haven't worked... Also, it seems like you are exploring Colossus' pseudo-relationship with Jean-Paul, and I was wondering if we might see more of that in the near future... I could ask questions forever... Just look at my posts back on the Bryan K. Vaughn forums' question thread... I can come up with tons of questions, but that doesn't mean you'll answer them...

So instead of overwhelming you with anything, I simply express sincere hope that we'll see you again!

EDIT:

Also: I just realized what Wolverinesque scars on his face implies that A) Wolvie might become a Horseman and/or B) Wolvie is going to still be alive and kicking however many years down the line Cable is from.

Interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mr. Kirkman! For me, the time travel bit isn't the issue. I just wanted to cut off the relation between Cable and Cyclops like in 616. Glad to know there won't be any.

Welcome Mr. Kirkman...

After hearing your comments on Cable....I feel a little better about the upcoming arc. Still iffy on the time travel stuff though. But meh...I still think that no one aside McFly and Doc should time travel. :wink:

I am VERY glad to hear that he will not be realted to anyone. His looks never bothered me. I agree that you don't need to completely change someone's look just to "ultimize" them. Drastic changes like Nick Fury are cool to see every once and while....but when you start changing everything about everyone....at what point are they even that character anymore.

E said:
Post of the Day.

Dude......post of the WEEK!

Latest posts

Back