newuniversal Discussion (Spoilers)

Brian Michael Bendis writes every issue! Greg Land introduces his new style, actual cut-outs from spank rags!

(I'd buy it anyway)

Then...the terrorists have won.

What do you mean nothing happens? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Lots happened.

As this is Laccora's best work by far.

I'm with MWoF on this. Loved the art....but the story is an intro story so I gotta be patient.

I'll continue to read this just to see what happens. I mean when was the last time Warren Ellis steered me wrong?

Oh wait....that's right--Ultimate Extinction.

You know what I want to see?

One.

One person gets superpowers and is the only human being on the planet to get them. I think at this point that kind've personal journey would be a lot more interesting and entertaining then the "World of Heroes" theme everybody's got going.

Ex Machina?

And as for the complaining about this being a start to a story...well...yeah. It's an introduction issue. I'm all for a big build up, as long as it doesn't turn into something like House of M where after 6 issues you can summarized everything with two sentences, of course the whole series can be summarized with three words, "No More Mutants". In fact, that would have been a great issue...not a miniseries.

I mean when was the last time Warren Ellis steered me wrong?

Oh wait....that's right--Ultimate Extinction.

That was Ellis on autopilot. I really liked it, but I can see not liking it.

Ultimate Extinction is one of the very, very rare instances where you'll ever hear me say that a story needed MORE issues than it had. I liked it mostly but was very unsatisfied with the rushed ending.

I'm used to Morrison having huge build-ups and storylines that wrap up in a few pages, but this was new to Ellis for me.

It was all the characters moments that made Extinction as good as it was.

But, there was plenty of action in between. Which is nothing like newuniversal, which was sorely lacking in the action department.

It doesn't matter. The first issue, especially, should get people wanting to read more issues. It should be a good example of the series as a whole. Tell the introductions within the story. There's no point in having a first issue that isn't representative of what the comic will be. People could read this, be bored to tears, and not come back. It's asking too much for someone to hang around six issues until we get to the good stuff, particularly at three bucks each.

I had the same problem with Ultimate Spider-Man 1. I didn't even buy it. Eventually, I heard a lot about the Ultimate Universe I thought I'd like and had some extra cash, so I bought the trade.

But writing for the trade is ridiculous if you're still expecting people to buy the monthlies.

Your argument seems silly... I can't think of many first issues that don't leave things hanging so to grab interest. If you're looking for instant gratification comics with no dangling plot-threads then maybe you should pick up an issue of Archie.

But by all means, you don't have to be reading this series... but im just curious what sort of first issues you're looking for?

Your argument seems silly... I can't think of many first issues that don't leave things hanging so to grab interest.

My thoughts exactly. First issues are normally very slow by nature due to the fact that it is all set-up. To say that #1 sucked because something didn't go "boom" on page 3 is just pure elementary thinking.

Any GOOD story has just that---a story. Not mindless explosions. You want Warren Ellis blowing stuff up on page 3---read NEXTWAVE. But if you want a good Warren Ellis story...wait for it.

If you're looking for instant gratification comics with no dangling plot-threads then maybe you should pick up an issue of Archie.

Wrong. Because even then there's always the question of Betty or Veronica? :p

But by all means, you don't have to be reading this series... but im just curious what sort of first issues you're looking for?

I too am curious about this. I'd like to hear of an example where the first issue just came outta nowhere with the action. Especially an ongoing series.....not a mini.

I can understand both points. A good example of how both can work are the first issues of Y and Ex Machina. There's not much action, but they both set up what is going to happen in the future. They also leave awesome cliffhangers, which bring the reader back for more.

Wrong. Because even then there's always the question of Betty or Veronica? :p

If he was good he could get Betty AND Veronica. :heybaby:

Oh God, I'm turning into ourchair.

I too am curious about this. I'd like to hear of an example where the first issue just came outta nowhere with the action. Especially an ongoing series.....not a mini.

I'm baffled as to what this is missing or what it didn't have compared to other books/first issues. So I'm curious too, if anyone wants to answer.

First issues done well, recently and from Marvel, include Ant-Man, Iron Fist and Blade. Blade and Ant-Man have individual adventures featuring the main characters in costume and action while also developing an ongoing storyline for the series to come. Iron Fist doesn't have a stand alone adventure, but it does have kung fu fighting action, develops an ongoing storyline and still has time to do all the character things.

I can't believe anyone thinks people talking to each other is a good first issue. The best first issues aren't slow and plodding at all, but interesting and exciting.

Now, you could argue that newuniversal was interesting. I would disagree. But at least the white event happened in this issue, so I will cut it some slack. If Bendis was writing this series it wouldn't happen until issue five.

I can't believe anyone thinks people talking to each other is a good first issue. The best first issues aren't slow and plodding at all, but interesting and exciting.
Finally read this, and I'm going to disagree whole-heartedly with Joe Kalicki here.

Yes, it was primarily a "talking heads" issue, but the conversation necessarily either developed/established the characters, or served as a functional introduction to the various inter-related plot threads. It was dialogue-oriented, but definitely NOT "slow and plodding".

The build-up to the White Event, and its aftermath, was very well-paced, providing a nice balance of drama and necessary exposition.

I HATED the Blade relaunch (and it doesn't help that he's easily my least favorite Marvel character), so I won't comment any further on that. And while the Iron Fist and Irredeemable Ant-Man debut issues were interesting and effective, in their own ways, I don't think either story-telling approach would have worked in NewUniversal which is more concerned with introducting a whole *reality* and an ensemble cast, rather than a particular heroic legacy.

I do think a more appropriate point of comparison would be the first episode of Heroes, or the first issues of Rising Stars and Supreme Power. In which case, NewUniversal suffers from not having the charismatic performers involved in the making of Heroes, but easily won me over far more effectively than JMS' books, because it firmly established a global scope, and a sense of a plantary-level change in the way things are.

Needless to say, i'm on board for NewUniversal. I don't have the patience to tradewait this one. It's just too damn intriguing.

You would have preferred a bunch of fighting with no character development (or establishment for that matter)? Because you have Ultimate Power for that.

You would have preferred a bunch of fighting with no character development (or establishment for that matter)? Because you have Ultimate Power for that.

No. All the above issues I mentioned had the fighting and, you know, a story, but also plenty of character and subplots.

And you don't have to build a world all at one time, by the way. Revealing the universe slowly is even more effective, and easier on the reader, in my opinion.

No. All the above issues I mentioned had the fighting and, you know, a story, but also plenty of character and subplots.

And you don't have to build a world all at one time, by the way. Revealing the universe slowly is even more effective, and easier on the reader, in my opinion.
And that formula doesn't work for everything.

And that formula doesn't work for everything.

Especially when its a brand new universe, unlike mostly everything put out by DC or Marvel where the world has been previously set up, and the characters have existed for years.

When you not only have to paint a picture of a world, but also the people of that world, then you take a little bit of each and use them to comment on eachother.

For instance: Justice means something different in an America where 9/11 never happened. And in an isolationist America, small-time cops have considerably more power.

They compliment on eachother, the world and the characters. I think Ellis did an excellent job of balancing them

Especially when its a brand new universe, unlike mostly everything put out by DC or Marvel where the world has been previously set up, and the characters have existed for years.

That is the key point we're trying to drive home Joe. If this were to take place in the UU, 616, Earth2, Earth Prime or any other established universe...the exposition wouldn't be needed.

But in this instance it is.

Latest posts

Back