Nintendo Wii discussion

Re: Nintendo's Revolution gets an official name

sjmole said:
Actually like i said in a previous post I use to love nintendo. First day game cube came out I bought it with Lugi's mansion (cool game btw) I always have have faith in nintendo but this time from I've seen and from what i've heard this will be the first time EVER that I don't buy a nintendo console.

Also the comment about ps3 control pad. Sony recived complaints and have said at E3 this week they will be showing us the NEW control pad most likely the same as psone and ps2.

X-box pad is bigger yes but more comftable than what the new wii one looks like.

and as for "Nintendo right now has the best controler out of all the next-gen systems" Can I have some of what you've been smoking?
The XBOX control's comfortableness is ok. But it needs to be better.

As for that last comment. Sure you can have what I'm smoking. It's called commen sense with opinion. You should try it sometime.

Ice said:

As for that last comment. Sure you can have what I'm smoking. It's called commen sense with opinion. You should try it sometime.

:lol: wow you didn't like my lil joke at the end huh?

Ice said:

I'm sure you said "commen sense with opium".

Gamecube controler is too small
Wii controler looks like the one from my TV with a plug
Nintendo doesn't have the best controller since Super Nintendo.

Last edited:

Random said:
Nintendo has ruined this perfect advertisement

Thats awesome...my only complaint is a third of it was credits.

E said:
I don't think so...someone said 16, but I think she's only 15.

Eeee...better wait a few years, then.

Planet-man said:
Wii?

That's the worst name for a game system I've ever heard. I'd actually be ashamed to say I bought one. Add a vibrating phallic-shaped controller and they've sealed the deal.

"Hey mom, can I go over to Billy's house to play with his new vibrating Wii?"
:sick:

sjmole said:
It's like nintendo are trying to kill it's self.

First there console looks worse than 360 or ps3

The controler-dvd-remote-thingy is just bad. First time i saw it I was like WFT????

Oh, no, something NEW!!! How dare they!! Just remember, the PS3 and Xbox are both using controllers which most likely evolved directly from the original NES handheld. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony or Microsoft trying to copy this idea as well should it prove successful (key word being "should").

then the one good thing they had going for them was the cool name Revolution and thought "wait that name sounds cool quick give me 3 random letters W ... I ... I yeah that sounds crap enougth for us."

If the name is the only reason you were interested then I think thats the least of your problems. ;)

Ice said:
But they're not.

On the contrary, it looks better.

"What **** the?"

But the controler is not bad. In fact, its THEE best thing coming out of the next-gen consoles. What's PS3 having? Blue-ray DVD? Ok, cool. But that's nothing new. 360? Nothing I know of. From what I hear, you have to BUY something just to make it back-wards compatable. Stupid mistake. The control may LOOK weird, but it will be one of the greatest things ever because of the way you get to use it.

Preach on, Reverend Ice!

"Wii" does suck. "Revolution" was a better name.

I can agree with that.

sjmole said:
The nintendo Wii has that controlpad but be honest it sucks. It's a novelity that soon wear out. COuld you imagin playing mario kart while swinging a dvd remote around your head?

It will also have a standard handheld controller option, so its up to the specific tastes of that person.

A better question...can you imagine playing Zelda with that controller? I can. How about Metroid? Again, sounds like a much cooler way to go about it. Of the three major gaming companies, Nintendo has always been the forerunner of introducing a new way of doing things and having it pulled off successfully (NES, Gameboy, etc...admittedly Virtual Boy doesn't count).

I will give nintendo credit they are trying new things but it's too late. I predict Wii will be flop. by 2008-2009 I see nintendo only making hand hold consoles like ds or gba but not making consoles. They will proberly end up like sega did and make games for other consoles. E.g mario on playstation 4 or somethin

We'll have to see. I definitly think they need to broaden their game list and get more multi-platform games on their roster for the Wii than the Gamecube had, but I still don't see that happening anytime soon, if at all.

Victor Von Doom said:
To chime in on Ice and Mole's conversation....

Sorry Mole...no offense or nothing but your predictions are completely wrong.

I used to work at Best Buy...and based off sale numbers--Gamecube outsells the PS2/XBox/360 almost every quarter. Obviously kids are the ones who are gonna be playing the games so they know what is cutting edge...but it's the parents who purchase these systems. I'll tell you now---trying to convince a parent to spend $150 on the system, $25 for memory card, $25 for the controller, $50 for the game, plus an extra $25-30 for other random accessories like monster cables, upright-stands, disc cleaners, etc....is almost impossible. Especially when the child is 10-12 years old and I can get them to buy a $100 system plus an extra $100 in games and accessories. $200 for everything on a system that makes bright colorful kid friendly games geared towards their child sounds a lot better than $300-$400 on a system that is geared for the older crowd with more mature games. When you add on the in-store insurance policy....it's no contest.

Yeah the other consoles can double as a CD/DVD player and whatnot---but so what? In America we have those things already. You can get a run of the mill DVD player at any store for like $30. And CDs??? Please...in the age of mp3s...having CDs is like carrying around a big ol' boombox on your shoulder. So those extra features don't matter. And the online features---so what? There aren't a lot of parents that are willing to pay another bill just so their kids can play a video game (and if those kids do have parents who will---lucky them. When I was a kid we were so poor that our idea of fun was to see who could mow the lawn quicker......kids today are so spoiled....anyways off rant).

And the whole controller shape thing---not even an issue. 3rd party controllers will be made using the same technology and will be compatible with the new systems using the old controller style many are customed to.

So the fact remains...whatever is new....will be whatever sells best. And Nintendo will never go out of business.......kinda like Coca Cola.

You rock.

sjmole said:
Yes but the new control pad is just wrong on so many levels.

Dude, how can you say that by only seeing a picture of it? Thats completely presumptuous and ignorant. You haven't used it yourself, nor even seen it used. So how can you say it doesn't work? From the industry insiders who have used it, they're all saying really positive things about it (and not even people who work for Nintendo and have to say that). We'll see what happens at E3 in terms of that...I expect we'll learn lots more.

ProjectX2 said:
I'm sure you said "commen sense with opium".

:lol:

Red Rock. Ja!

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Gamecube controler is too small

I preferred it over the PS2 and Xbox...but maybe cuz I was more used to it.

Nintendo is usually first in line to come up with good ideas. They came up with the vibrating controller, I think, in the rumble pack. The trigger button. This might work. After all before nintendo, every game out used a joystick. They might be on to something. I just want to try it out first. Who knows, Wii might become a cool name. Who knew what the hell a "SEGA" was?

Times have tried the new Wii controller:

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo's Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I'm Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.

John Schappert, a senior vice president at Electronic Arts, is overseeing a version of the venerable Madden football series for Nintendo's new hardware. He sees the controller from the auteur's perspective, as an opportunity but also a huge challenge. "Our engineers now have to decipher what the user is doing," he says. "'Is that a throw gesture? Is it a juke? A stiff arm?' Everyone knows how to make a throwing motion, but we all have our own unique way of throwing." But consider the upside: you're basically playing football in your living room. "To snap the ball, you 'snap' the remote back toward your body, which hikes the ball," Schappert says. "No buttons to press, just gesture a hiking motion, and the ball's in the hands of the QB. To pass the ball, you gesture a throwing motion. Hard, fast gestures result in bullet passes. Slower, less forceful, gestures result in loftier, slower lob passes. It truly plays like nothing you've ever experienced."
Link to the story here.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Times have tried the new Wii controller:

Link to the story here.
:rockon:

I didn't even finish reading tha quote and I already knew this was going to be even better than I've imagined. This is going to be one ****ing awesome birthday for me when this come out.

Here are some unconfirmed information from the NeoGAF forums that is said to be in the latest EGM magazine in the USA.

• The Wii will have a $249 price tag
  • The Wii will always be "online" - even when the console is switched off
  • There will be a built in speaker on the controller
  • Virtual Console games will not have improved graphics
  • TurboGrafx-16 will have it's 1st party games out at launch, 3rd party games will come as demand increases
  • Estimated Virtual Console prices are - NES: a few $, SNES: 5$, N64: $10.
  • Virtual Console games are pro-scan enabled.
  • The Wii will see more 3rd party exclusives than the Cube

Ultimate Warrior said:
The Wii will always be "online" - even when the console is switched off

Every hacker's dream!

Ultimate Warrior said:
Estimated Virtual Console prices are - NES: a few $, SNES: 5$, N64: $10.

This is a huge selling point for me. Little pricey though.

Ultimate Warrior said:
The Wii will see more 3rd party exclusives than the Cube

I don't think it could get less if they tried.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Here are some unconfirmed information from the NeoGAF forums that is said to be in the latest EGM magazine in the USA.

• The Wii will have a $249 price tag
  • The Wii will always be "online" - even when the console is switched off
  • There will be a built in speaker on the controller
  • Virtual Console games will not have improved graphics
  • TurboGrafx-16 will have it's 1st party games out at launch, 3rd party games will come as demand increases
  • Estimated Virtual Console prices are - NES: a few $, SNES: 5$, N64: $10.
  • Virtual Console games are pro-scan enabled.
  • The Wii will see more 3rd party exclusives than the Cube
:heart:

Is it November yet?

I still think the name is stupid. Even on tv shows, they're still calling it the revolution.

J. Agamemnon said:
I still think the name is stupid. Even on tv shows, they're still calling it the revolution.
As it should have been. :neutral:

Ice said:
As it should have been. :neutral:

Just accept that they've Wii-named it and Wii-sume with your life.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting a Revolution....I'm getting both Zeldas' and I'm getting a better job to buy all this!!!:p :p :p

J. Agamemnon said:
I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting a Revolution....I'm getting both Zeldas' and I'm getting a better job to buy all this!!!:p :p :p

Wii're all ver-Wii happy for you.

I think their strategy worked...I never wanted Wii before they changed the name.

Even though the name is just plain silly.

I want to play with that controller. Think of the things you could make Mario do:shock:

Latest posts

Back