No AIDS for muties in the UU?

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
For those who don't know, in 616 no mutant is able to get AIDS at all. Now, with the realism put into the Ultimate Universe, should this be the same, or should they also be able to get it?


I am being totally serious here.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
That's ridiculously retarded. Yes, they should be able to get AIDS if they are exposed to it. Who made up that rule? What writer established that?

If you say Claremont I'm going to throw my computer out the window.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
UltimateE said:
That's ridiculously retarded. Yes, they should be able to get AIDS if they are exposed to it. Who made up that rule? What writer established that?

If you say Claremont I'm going to throw my computer out the window.
Chuck Austen.

No surprise, huh?
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Well, I hate to defend Chuck Austin, but if Mutants really are a diffrent species than Humans its possible for some desieses to not be transmissable between the two. Of course that also means that mutant-human children would most likely be sterrile. Hear that Scarlet Witch!
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
They should be able to get AIDs. They should also be able to get the Legacy Virus, the only disease that only affects mutants in the UU.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Sometimes a species evolves when it needs to overcome a sickness, od disease or whatever, so the genetics are strong enough to repel the disease. AIDS is a flourishing disease among humans, maybe one reason Mutants evolved from humans was to surpass the ability do be affected by AIDS. They could certainly reciecve it, and even pass it on, but Mutants may be immune to it's effects.

Obviously Wolverine could refute it. :D
 

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
When was this established, because I always assumed that AIDS didn't exist in the 616 universe or UU? On a biological note, it doesn't make sense that mutants wouldn't be able to catch AIDs. While your dog or cat can't catch a flu, a pig or sheep can catch Mad Cow Disease. Unless they say that a general mutant trait is that they have better developed immune systems than humans, then it makes no sense for all mutants to be immune to any human disease.
 
Last edited:

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
MaxwellSmart said:
When was this established, because I always assumed that AIDS didn't exist in the 616 universe or UU? On a biological note, it doesn't make sense that mutants wouldn't be able to catch AIDs. While your dog or cat can't catch a flu, a pig or sheep can catch Mad Cow Disease. Unless they say that a general mutant trait is that they have better developed immune systems than humans, then it makes no sense for all mutants to be immune to any human disease.
Natural mutation is limited to small changes, before mutants are actually a completely different species. Marvel mutants are still human, just with a little extra. Since there's such an incredibly variety of mutations, it makes sense that some are immune and some aren't. Not every mutation is successful.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Hawkeye101 said:
Sometimes a species evolves when it needs to overcome a sickness, od disease or whatever, so the genetics are strong enough to repel the disease. AIDS is a flourishing disease among humans, maybe one reason Mutants evolved from humans was to surpass the ability do be affected by AIDS. They could certainly reciecve it, and even pass it on, but Mutants may be immune to it's effects.

Obviously Wolverine could refute it. :D

The only problem with this theory is that AIDS has only been around for the last few decades...mutants have been around just as long if not longer in both universes, so how could that apply? Even if mutants didn't show up until after AIDS did, its still nowhere near a long enough amount of time to cause a mutation/evolution like this.

And the idea of mutants not being able to get AIDS itself is kind of stupid. Maybe Austen and Card should team up on a book and write the worst, most inane comic story ever...just for ****s and giggles.

Caduceus said:
Natural mutation is limited to small changes, before mutants are actually a completely different species. Marvel mutants are still human, just with a little extra. Since there's such an incredibly variety of mutations, it makes sense that some are immune and some aren't. Not every mutation is successful.

And AIDS being the incredibly resistant to treatment disease that it is, with an incredible rate of mutation all its own, it would stand to reason it should be able to change itself enough to also affect mutants.
 
Last edited:

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
The problem I have with it is that just because someone has a mutant ability it doesn't mean they should have an immune system that responds totally different to a virus, unless like was brought up before their mutation SPECIFICALLY deals with their immune system, like Wolverine. Cyclops, for example, doesn't have any different of an immune system than a normal human.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
UltimateE said:
The problem I have with it is that just because someone has a mutant ability it doesn't mean they should have an immune system that responds totally different to a virus, unless like was brought up before their mutation SPECIFICALLY deals with their immune system, like Wolverine. Cyclops, for example, doesn't have any different of an immune system than a normal human.

I guess the assumption is that the mutant gene goes hand in hand with whatever gene controls immune functions...like he said, Austen is responsible, that says it all right there.
 

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
UltimateE said:
The problem I have with it is that just because someone has a mutant ability it doesn't mean they should have an immune system that responds totally different to a virus, unless like was brought up before their mutation SPECIFICALLY deals with their immune system, like Wolverine. Cyclops, for example, doesn't have any different of an immune system than a normal human.

But wouldnt something that makes your Immune System completely innaffective affect Wolverine the most.
 

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
UltimateE said:
The problem I have with it is that just because someone has a mutant ability it doesn't mean they should have an immune system that responds totally different to a virus, unless like was brought up before their mutation SPECIFICALLY deals with their immune system, like Wolverine. Cyclops, for example, doesn't have any different of an immune system than a normal human.
Exactly. More than one change shouldn't, as a rule, happen naturally.

Bass said:
I thought the whole point of the Legacy Virus was to be a metaphor for AIDS.
I believe that was also the case.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
I can't believe Austen was actually allowed to get away with a story like that in the first place. It's horrifically distasteful, and not in a quirky, endearing way.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Fuzzy Birds said:
I can't believe Austen was actually allowed to get away with a story like that in the first place. It's horrifically distasteful, and not in a quirky, endearing way.

So is the two-penised Nightcrawler. I mean whats he going to do next, start writing the Fantastic 4 and turn Reed into a porn star due to the ability to stretch any part of his body?
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Fuzzy Birds said:
I honestly, honestly don't want to know. Sometimes, I'm so glad I don't read mainstream 616.
That was never mentioned in 616. That's something that Austen said on the X2 DVD, but it came out more like a joke.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Well, Mutants are called Homo Superior, and Human are Homo Sapien. (Homo superior actually means greater wisodm) Which means they are NOT the same species, which is why I was under the impression when you talked about X-Men/Brotherhood/Morlock like mutants it was capitalized, and mutants like albinoism are still the lower case 'M'.

In any case if humans and Mutants are infact two separate species, all protiens are different between species so therefore, there have to bw a few diseases that Mutants are in fact immune to that humans are not. Mutants may even cause a disease among themselves that humans are immune to.

However, Mutants and Humans are in the same genus (Homo). So they are acctually quite similar and are capable of producing fertile offspring. Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cows, Sheep, there are actually the English words for the genus of a species, not the species it's self, because under dog, we still have labradore, huskey, great dane, german shepards, etc. So it is still possible for Mutants and Humans to share diseases. Lions and Tigers are the same genus, along with house cats, but the diseases that can pass between tigers and lions can't pass between house cats, os it's all a real tossup as to weather Mutants can be affected by AIDS, and who says it has to have the same effect?
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Meh....its Austen. His run is treated like a mainstream UTU, just with less respect.

What happened was the school's nurse was giving out to Husk for not using protection with Archangel, and she just blurts out mutants can't get Aids due to the mutant gene.....****ing **** that Austen chap.

Edit: Oh come on, I can't even say **** now? ****ing swear filter.
 

Latest posts

Top