Opening This Weekend: August 9/11th -- Post Your Flicks and Discuss

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Opening August 9:

World Trade Center (Wide)
Nicolas Cage plays a real-life Port Authority police officer who was trapped with his partner under the rubble of Ground Zero.

Lunacy (Limited)
A young man in 19th century France is taken by the Marquis de Sade to an insane asylum that is literally run by the inmates.

The Trouble With Men and Women (Limited)
A heartbroken Londoner tries taking his friends advice to start dating again and meets and alluring French woman.

Opening August 11:

Accepted (Wide)
Justin Long plays a guy rejected from every college he applied to, so he and his friends start their own fake university.

Pulse (Wide)
After their friend dies, a group of college friends discover the dead are crossing over to our world through electronic devices.

Step Up (Wide)
A rebel in trouble with the law becomes the dance partner of a beautiful ballet student at prestigious performing arts school.

Zoom (Wide)
Tim Allen stars as a retired superhero called back into action to train a group of kids with super powers to save the world.

Conversations With Other Women (Limited)
A man (Aaron Eckhart) and woman (Helena Bonham Carter) see each other at a wedding and recall their romantic history.

Half Nelson (Limited)
An inner-city school teacher (Ryan Gosling) with a drug problem bonds with the student who discovers his secret.

House of Sand (Casa de Areia) (Limited)
A woman is taken to the sand dunes of northern Brazil by her insane husband and must raise her daughter alone.

Poster Boy (Limited)
The gay son of a conservative U.S. senator falls for a ultra-liberal activist who debates using him for political gain.

World Trade Center - I'm still up in the air about this one. I had no interest in seeing Flight 93.......but this one holds my interest.

Accepted - Looks funny as hell. Plus Justin Long is always consistant with being hilarious....this one looks to be no exception.

There's just nothing I want to see next weekend. I think I might do something else other than go see a movie. I've been doing that a lot lately, so I think next weekend is time for a change.

Last edited:
I havn't heard of these movies.

I definately need to get a working TV again.

Victor Von Doom said:
World Trade Center - I'm still up in the air about this one. I had no interest in seeing Flight 93.......but this one holds my interest.

Accepted - Looks funny as hell. Plus Justin Long is always consistant with being hilarious....this one looks to be no exception.
I'm truly surprised that you aren't going to see "Step Up".

Victor Von Doom said:
Lunacy (Limited)
A young man in 19th century France is taken by the Marquis de Sade to an insane asylum that is literally run by the inmates.
Is it just sound me or does this sound silly? Depends entirely on what kind of tone they go for.

The Trouble With Men and Women (Limited)
A heartbroken Londoner tries taking his friends advice to start dating again and meets and alluring French woman.
Meh.

Accepted (Wide)
Justin Long plays a guy rejected from every college he applied to, so he and his friends start their own fake university.
Could be funny, could be lame. I lean slightly towards lame but could be convinced.

Pulse (Wide)
After their friend dies, a group of college friends discover the dead are crossing over to our world through electronic devices.
...wow. Those wacky Hollywood Cats, what will they come up with next?

Step Up (Wide)
A rebel in trouble with the law becomes the dance partner of a beautiful ballet student at prestigious performing arts school.
Hahahaha! Dancing to cure crime! All the cool superheros started off as rebellious youths before the power of rhythm saved them!

Zoom (Wide)
Tim Allen stars as a retired superhero called back into action to train a group of kids with super powers to save the world.
Tim Allen hurts my soul.

Conversations With Other Women (Limited)
A man (Aaron Eckhart) and woman (Helena Bonham Carter) see each other at a wedding and recall their romantic history.
Meh

Half Nelson (Limited)
An inner-city school teacher (Ryan Gosling) with a drug problem bonds with the student who discovers his secret.
This might actually be alright as long as they don't go overboard with the sap.

House of Sand (Casa de Areia) (Limited)
A woman is taken to the sand dunes of northern Brazil by her insane husband and must raise her daughter alone.
...Meh.

Poster Boy (Limited)
The gay son of a conservative U.S. senator falls for a ultra-liberal activist who debates using him for political gain.
I wonder, are they passing this off as a comedy with a serious message underlying it, or a serious film? Either way, it could be good, or could not be.

World Trade Center (Wide)
Nicolas Cage plays a real-life Port Authority police officer who was trapped with his partner under the rubble of Ground Zero.
TheManWithoutFear said:
Definitely not seeing The World Trade Center Movie. Hollywood disgusts me.
Did you ever see Munich; as in, is this an aversion to any and all movies about that sort of tragedy? Personally, I don't really object to the principle of doing this- it's not something that should be hushed up like a dirty secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Munich, which I thought was actually very good. Although, I'm not going to see WTC. It's hard seeing a movie about a tragedy that you know is going to end tragically.

Victor Von Doom said:
Read that aloud one time. :lol:
I know how that sounds, but I can explain.

The tragedy in Munich happened right at the begin and the rest of the movie was terrorism and the main character dealing with it. The movie didn't have a happy ending, but it had a bit of an up twist.

The tragedy in WTC endures through out the whole movie. I can't say positively, but I'm assuming the two Port Authority Cops who get trapped in the rubble die. I don't need to watch a movie about two of the cops that gave their lives on 9/11. It's just too depressing.

Also, the events of Munich happened like thirty years ago. Not quite fresh in our memories. Although when I was in Munich I did see the Olympic Village where they were taken hostage.

MaxwellSmart said:
The tragedy in WTC endures through out the whole movie. I can't say positively, but I'm assuming the two Port Authority Cops who get trapped in the rubble die. I don't need to watch a movie about two of the cops that gave their lives on 9/11. It's just too depressing.

I thought the two cops part was a true story and they survived? That's what I heard :?

roguefan said:
I thought the two cops part was a true story and they survived? That's what I heard :?
Okay, I might see it if they survive, and yes, I knew it was based on a true story.

Is it wrong that out of all these movies Zoom is the one that intrests me the most?

Bah. Snake will be on planes next week. PLANES I TELL YOU!

MaxwellSmart said:
Okay, I might see it if they survive, and yes, I knew it was based on a true story.

Of course they survived, they acted as technical consultant on the movie!

Got paid 200 000$ for the right of their story, which is a nice little bonus for them (unless you are ridiculously anti-capitalist).

Latest posts

Back