I do not follow your Filipino logic.

I was dating a girl and she liked me enough to marry me, so I wasn't a total loser.
Oh screw me, I thought it said 'a girl I didn't end up marrying' and that got ME confused.

We should make a contest thread to see who can make the worst Batman movie, and it has to be worse than Batman & Robin.

Depressing-to-know-yet-good-because-it-never-actually-materialized-fact: When Joel Shumacher was still making Batman movies, Frank Miller himself wrote a draft for a Batman: Year One adaptation, with this plot:

After the death of his parents young Bruce Wayne remains lost on the street and is eventually taken in by Big Al, owner of an auto repair shop with his son Little Al. Driven by a desire for vengeance towards a manifest destiny of which his is only dimly aware, young Bruce toils day and night in the shop, watching the comings and goings of hookers, pimps, and corrupt police officers across the street to a cat house. We are then introduced to detective James Gordon as he struggles with the corruption he finds endemic among Gotham City police officers of all ranks.

Bruce's first act as a vigilante is to confront a dirty cop named Campbell as he accosts "mistress Selina" in the cathouse, but Campbell ends up dead and Bruce narrowly escapes being blamed. Realizing that he needs to operate with more methodology, he initially dons a cape and hockey mask. However, Bruce soon evolves a more stylized "costume" with both form and function, acquires a variety of makeshift gadgets and weapons, and re-configures a black Lincoln Continental into a makeshift "bat-mobile." In his new disguise as "The Bat-Man," Bruce Wayne wages war on criminals from street level to the highest echelons, working his way up to Police Commissioner Loeb and Mayor Noone, even as the executors of the Wayne estate search for their missing heir. In the end, Bruce accepts his dual destiny as heir to the Wayne fortune and the city's savior, and Gordon comes to accept that, while he may not agree with "the Bat-Man"'s methods, he can't argue with the results.

No casting ever took place, though Val Kilmer, Ben Affleck, Keanu Reeves, and Christian Bale all expressed interest for the role of Batman. Kilmer would only do it "if it were to be more humorous," while Bale cited the role as "a dream come true." His agent then told MovieHole.net that Bale had been approached for a number of Batman projects, including Year One. He stated that Bale preferred the Year One version because the script was more "unique." Bale would of course end up being cast for the lead role in Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins.

Originally Posted by the watcher:
Out of pure curiosity how would you rate all the movies against the Batman: The Movie, staring Adam West??

The show is often fun for what it is, but the movie just isn't. It's not funny, it's just boring. Before someone says "It's supposed to be campy!" that's not what I said. I know it's supposed to be campy. It's also supposed to be fun, which it's not. The ending (and the majority of the movie, for that matter) is wholly unsatisfying.

The only truly hilarious parts are the Shark-Repellent Bat Spray, "There are some days when you just can't get rid of a bomb!" and the truly maddeningly funny "Lest we forget that brave sea lion gave its life to protect us from that torpedo, Robin...".

year one whould have been cool if they did it stylized in the way they did sin city. I think it would have been a very cool flick.

The only truly hilarious parts are the Shark-Repellent Bat Spray, "There are some days when you just can't get rid of a bomb!" and the truly maddeningly funny "Lest we forget that brave sea lion gave its life to protect us from that torpedo, Robin...".

:lol: Lol, I haven't seen the movie/show in years, and I still remember those parts....

year one whould have been cool if they did it stylized in the way they did sin city. I think it would have been a very cool flick.

That's basically what All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder is. Except, the way Frank Miller pitched his Year One adaptation during the Shumacher era, now that was just....ugh. Alfred Pennyworth as an old black mechanic named Big Al? Batman wearing a hockey mask? Batman driving a souped up Lincoln Continental as a Batmobile (and before you say anything, a TANK is a hell of a lot cooler)?

E for Excellent?

As for the old Batman: The Movie - it's been years since I've seen it beginning to end, but my son absolutely loves it. He watches it all the time.

Batman - 5/10
Some decent ideas, not properly executed. Jack Nicholson is boringly over-the-top, I don't find Keaton very convincing, and the whole affair is just a little too Burton-ish. Plus, a soundtrack by Prince. What the ****?

Batman Returns - 3/10
Ugh. Devito ruined The Penguin. And Catwoman was too "femme fatale". I like my Catwoman with a sense of humor and a bit more moral ambiguity.

Batman Forever - 2/10
Five words.
Jim Carrey as The Riddler.
'Nuff said.
(*vomits*)

Batman and Robin - 1/10
I wish it was so bad that it's good...It should be so bad it's good...but it's just bad. I've tried to watch it but I just can't stand it. See, terrible movies that cost as much as this movie probably did and have so many people behind them as this movie did are frustrating. When someone is given millions of dollars and they produce a piece of insulting, unwatchable trash, it's just kind of sickening. On the other hand...

Batman: The Movie - 16/10
...This is great.

Last edited:

...except that that's never what Year One was supposed to be when Miller wrote the GN (not that awful movie pitch). Dark Knight Returns would work as a stylised, heavily special effected, green-screen movie, but Year One should be the most realistic Batman story ever. There are about two things in that story that require slight suspension of disbelief and both of them are gadgets that Batman uses that are fairly credible as being possible in real life if anyone was bothered to do the R&D (the glider and the Sonic Transmitter thing that he also uses in Batman Begins).

Last edited:
I just watched Batman Forever for the first time in nearly two years and for the first time since I was 5, I was completely blown away by it. Since it's been so long since I've seen it, it was a lot easier to just completely blot out any previous memory I had of the film (or Batman & Robin, for that matter) and just pretend like I was viewing it for the first time.

There's no use in trying to form a proper review having only stopped watching the film ten minutes ago, so I'm just going to mention some of the things I enjoyed the most:

- I'm used to the European cut of the film, so when I got to see the original US cut on the Special Feature DVD, there were many fun little lines of dialogue that made the film seem a bit more violent and edgy (in the European cut, Two-Face briefly shoots one of his men in the back in anger whilst in a helicopter. If you blink, you miss it. In this US cut, he absolutely shoots the living **** out of the guy and you see his body flailing around madly. It's brilliant!).

- The Val Kilmer Batman suit at the start of the film as well as all of the bat-vehicles in the film, rule. Flat-out own. After two films with the world-famous Burtonmobile, I can understand why the designers felt the need for a change and I think they really succeeded in this film. The batmobile in this film may be a bit flashy, but it's also dark and menacing and tends to look like a living creature (which was the rationale behind the ill-fated nipples as well, for anyone who wants to know). It just really suits the look of the film and anytime you see Batman driving it, you want to be driving it. Obviously the Batplane/wing and the Batboat were just slotted in at the end to sell toys but that didn't mean it wasn't entertaining and their inclusion didn't seem completely forced (like in Batman Returns with the Batsub and Batman & Robin with the Bathammer and the Batsled).

- I've said it once and I'll say it again: Everything about Robin rules in this film, from start to finish.

- Chase Meridian is undoubtedly the best Batman love-interest to date and here's why: a large part of Batman is about child-wish fulfillment. Well, think of Batman as a game a bunch of five-year olds play at recess. Batman is the leader of the game. Vicki Vale is just some scared little girl who got caught up in the game, only having some vague interest originally. Selina Kyle is just a weird, oddly tough little girl who plays the game just as well as Bruce but has taken the game too far. Chase Meridian meanwhile, is like a mother to Batman, who takes care of him and is strong enough to understand why he plays the game and still be able to remind him that she'll be there if he wants to stop. Rachel Dawes is just someone's annoying kid sister who suggested the game in the first place, but whom nobody actually invited to play.

- For what it is, the neon design of the film actually works. This film was made in the height of the 90s and was designed not to take itself as seriously as the previous installments. The neon-look was supposed to make it look like a comic book. It succeeds. Finally, I have accepted that.

- For pure nuggets of entertainment, I don't think any of the other Batman films come as close to Batman Begins as this one does. There are so many outrageously fun moments:
- The Batmobile chase, followed by the batmobile driving up a friggin' wall.
- Batman being caught in a fire and activating a shield around his cape.
- Bruce traveling to the Batcave via a tunnel from Wayne Enterprises.
- The fight at the Ritz Gotham.
- Robin's arrival, the assault by air/sea, the Batwing/plane becomes the Batsub.
- Batman rescuing Robin and Chase Meridian from certain death and discovering something about himself.

Seriously, I now have no doubt in my mind that this film is miles better than Batman Returns and with a few tweaks, could easily be as good as the 1989 movie. There. I said it.

Last edited:
Batman Forever, which I just watched a week ago, is terrible and worse than Batman and Robin.

Also, they refer to the batsuit as being made of rubber. So negative points for that.

Batman and Robin - 1/10
I wish it was so bad that it's good...It should be so bad it's good...but it's just bad. I've tried to watch it but I just can't stand it. See, terrible movies that cost as much as this movie probably did and have so many people behind them as this movie did are frustrating. When someone is given millions of dollars and they produce a piece of insulting, unwatchable trash, it's just kind of sickening. On the other hand...

Batman: The Movie - 16/10
...This is great.

Sometimes you just CANT get rid of a bomb!

Batman Forever, which I just watched a week ago, is terrible and worse than Batman and Robin.

Also, they refer to the batsuit as being made of rubber. So negative points for that.

You also abhor Batman Begins and Superman Returns = Your opinion is wrong. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back