I mean, if Bruce Wayne suddenly turned black in the next Batman movie, wouldn't you be fine with the eye color?

That would be diffrent , No offence but Bruce Wayne the main charracter you can do that.

Harvey Dent in original Batman film was nothing Big. They did not plan on having two face and so it's ok. Because when Two face came to actually be in it they chose Tommy Lee Jones because he's a good actor and looks somewhat like two face's less ugly half.

You could say that the Harvey Dent in forever is not the same one as original as there is very little to tie them together much like the photographer Eddie Brock mentioned in previous movie as working for the Daily Bugle. (not saying harvey is a diffrent person but there is not enough to say he's not so I like to think he is)

now say the dark knight had Lieutenant Gordon suddenly gone from been played by Gary Oldman to been played by Gary Coleman then yeah their would be a big problem

Harvey Dent in original Batman film was nothing Big. They did not plan on having two face and so it's ok.

I'm pretty sure Billy Dee Williams signed on to the first Batman movie knowing that Two-Face was going to be in the franchise.

Uh....yup, it's right here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-face#Batman_.281989_film.29
In the 1989 - 1997 Batman film franchise, Billy Dee Williams appeared as a pre-disfigurement Dent in Batman (1989). Apparently, Williams signed for this role knowing that Dent was to become Two-Face in further installments of the franchise. To ensure that he would be given the role, Williams negotiated a "pay or play" contract guaranteeing that Warner Brothers would have to cast him as Two-Face or buy him out. However, when Two-Face was to become the main villain in the third movie, director Tim Burton had abdicated to Joel Schumacher, who decided to hire Tommy Lee Jones, and agreed to pay Williams for his cooperation allowing them to use the character.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is replacing Katie Holmes. I'm fine with that. Sometimes it's okay to change an actor when it's necessary. Take James Bond for example. He couldn't possibly be playing a young bond when Goldeneye came around. My problem is, if you're going to find a replacement for Billy Dee Williams, why not choose a black actor? It's simple logic.

Because he wanted Tommy Lee Jones for the part, and Tommy Lee Jones isn't black.

Art should not suffer because of things like that. It's unimportant. Skin colour, eye colour, hair colour, tooth colour, who cares? If the part is going to be played by a completely different person, often in a completely different way, the character continuity is already gone. Race is one minor factor of that, and a fairly unimportant one compared to some other stuff. For example: In Batman Forever, Harvey Dent now has a Texan accent, which he didn't in the first Batman movie. You're going on about skin colour when the character now hails from a completely different state? How is that not a bigger issue?

I mean, if Bruce Wayne suddenly turned black in the next Batman movie, wouldn't you be fine with the eye color?

Current-franchise-continuity-wise? It wouldn't matter to me any more so than if they'd gotten a white man who isn't Christian Bale to play him again.

I wouldn't want the character to be a black man. I wouldn't want the character to be a blonde man either. But not because of continuity with the previous film. If it's a different actor, it's a different actor. That's that.

Seriously, what is it with you and race in movies?!

Srsly.

It doesn't make sense that Tommy Lee Jones, a white man, played Harvey Dent, who was established in the first Batman movie as a black man, Billy Dee Williams. That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't make sense that Tommy Lee Jones, a man who is TOMMY LEE JONES, played Harvey Dent, who was established in the first Batman movie as a man who is BILLY DEE WILLIAMS, Billy Dee Williams.

Two different people. Many differences. And yet race is somehow all that matters.

Race is not the biggest thing that sets two people apart, and God knows it's not the ONLY thing.

They could've cast Michael Clarke Duncan as Harvey Dent and gotten a performance MUCH more different from Billy Dee than Tommy Lee Jones was, even though they're both black. Go figure.

It doesn't make sense that Tommy Lee Jones, a white man, played Harvey Dent, who was established in the first Batman movie as a black man, Billy Dee Williams. That's all I'm saying.

Totally agreed.

It's not a matter of that, it's that I don't understand how looking like a completely different person, having a completely different accent, etc, would be fine.... but looking like a completely different person who is black suddenly doesn't make sense.

It just does.

And I don't even care. As far as I'm concerned each new Batman (actor) is a completely different franchise.

And I don't even care. As far as I'm concerned each new Batman (actor) is a completely different franchise.

This is the only way to look at it. Same with James Bond.

Anyway, here's a great "live" blog of Batman 1989 that brings up some interesting (albeit critical) points about the movie that I never really noticed before. You should all check it out.

I'm definitely going to do this with one of my favourite movies some time. :)

Billy Dee Williams is black? :shock:

I hear Shi LeBouf is playing him in a remake of Star Wars.

I heard it was Nathan Fillion, or maybe it was James Purefoy, I can't remember. Lando Calrissian, space pimp of Cloud City.

caption180.jpg

What purpose did that photo ever serve in promoting Star Wars in any way whatsoever? It's almost as bizarrely mindboggling as this:

180px-Liefeld_captain_america.jpg

Latest posts

Back