Batman & Robin is on TBS right now and it is even worse than I remembered it being.

I can't believe they got the actors/actresses they got with that script.

I doubt they read the script, even while filming. Just said "Okay Arnold just say an ice pun every line"

Batman & Robin is on TBS right now and it is even worse than I remembered it being.

I can't believe they got the actors/actresses they got with that script.

What script?

Re: Worst dialogue in a comic book movie

I know I've adamantly defended it in the past, but I'll point out that my opinion of Superman Returns is not what it once was. I don't hate it or anything but I'm not really in love with it either. (The same thing has happened with the Spider-Man movies for me, I've noticed, though to a lesser degree.)

I disagree that Superman Returns did the exact same thing. If anything, the biggest problem most people had with it is that it devoted itself to a past interpretation of the character rather than making it it's own. The movie definitely had it's problems but I don't think it was the same as Burton's Batmans.

It's not as if I hate Batman 89, there's a lot about it that I like and I wouldn't fault anyone for loving it, it's just Burton's attitude towards the subject that annoys me. The problem, to elaborate, is that Burton seemed to care less about Batman as a character and more as a medium for him to keep exploring the same themes he explores in every one of his movies. That's fine and all, but when you're given the responsibility to make a movie about Batman, you should make it about Batman. The comics are full of a million different unique interpretations of the character but the movies are so few and far between, I just don't think we have time for that kind of thing.

One of the best aspects of Nolan's take on Batman is that - particularly in The Dark Knight - he seems concerned with the layers of ideas and themes that are already inherent in the characters and stories, rather than shoehorning the characters into the kind of story he wants to tell. I think Burton has a hard time understanding that just because he's the director doesn't mean the characters now belong solely to him. (Remember the horror of his possible Superman movie in the 90s...)

Batman 89 was a fine movie, but two Nolan films later, it can sometimes feel a bit like Burton cheated people, seeing now what's possible.

I more or less agree with this. I don't really agree with you on the idea of Burton using the 1989 movie to explore his own themes and tones rather than Batman's. This is definitely, truly, madly, deeply true about Batman Returns, but it's quite clear from the first movie that Burton was a fan trying to please the fans and that's what he did.

Burton had a far bigger task than Nolan. Not only did he have to show a polar-opposite version of Batman to the general public; he also had to introduce Batman to a new generation who might not have known who Batman was. All Nolan had to do was make one decent film to make people forget about a bad one that had come out a few years earlier. It was just our good fortune that Batman Begins was as great as it was.

That certainly is a thing that happened in that movie.

I think I'm going to revisit the Burton Batman movies sometime soon... It's been ages.

5ec63b63030b2f4d497c9cf46bbd87bd9b2c1371_m.jpg

I hope this 3rd "Batman Begins" movie isn't the one where they jump the shark.

I feel when you move past Joker and Two Face and move into Penguin and Riddler territory that it can't help but suck. It is going to be Penguin in the new one right?

There is no topping The Dark Knight. There's no following it. It is phenomenal, and it should be left there.

Wow, they made a Batman movie you like so they should never make another Batman movie? The Dark Knight isn't Citizen Kane or anything. It's highly flawed.

And Penguin didn't stop Batman Returns from being the second-best Batman movie (after Burton's first). In fact, he was awesome.

Wow, they made a Batman movie you like so they should never make another Batman movie? The Dark Knight isn't Citizen Kane or anything. It's highly flawed.

Damn right. The script is pretty trite at points, and it's not like the film really says anything meaningful about Batman. But the fantastic set pieces and Heath Ledger's performance strongly outweigh the negatives.

Joe Kalicki said:
And Penguin didn't stop Batman Returns from being the second-best Batman movie (after Burton's first). In fact, he was awesome.

Eh, I disagree with that, but whatevs yo.

The Penguin and The Riddler are awesome.

Citizen Kane is the most overrated movie in the history of evar.

And Batman Returns is probably the third worst Batman movie ever. It has as much Batman in it as TDK and is basically just a weird black leather fetish movie.

(Especially if played by Ben Kingsley and Sam Rockwell)

:shifty:

In a perfect world, Zombipanda. In a perfect world.

Finally someone agrees with me!

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of people raving about it when it's pretty obvious they're only doing so because reviewers say it's so great. Kind of like people ranting on Gigli when they've never seen it.

Latest posts

Back