Pat Hingle, who played Commissioner Gordon in the original four Batman movies (the only person to appear in every one of the movies, except for Michael Gough) has died, at the age of 84.

At the time the first Batman movie came out I thought he was a good actor for the role, and while I still think he's a good actor, it's amazing how much better Gary Oldman is in the role. Maybe that speaks more of the quality of the films Oldman is in compared to Hingle, but it's still amazing how different the roles are.

At the time the first Batman movie came out I thought he was a good actor for the role, and while I still think he's a good actor, it's amazing how much better Gary Oldman is in the role. Maybe that speaks more of the quality of the films Oldman is in compared to Hingle, but it's still amazing how different the roles are.

Hingle was fine for the part he was playing in those films (which wasn't a very large one). Hingle was just playing Commissioner Gordon, the relatively unexplored secondary character most people knew from the comics of 1939-1986 as well as the TV show. Whereas, Gary Oldman is playing Jim Gordon, the chain-smoking former Chicago cop, with a failing marriage and two kids. Basically, the three-dimensional hero of many, many stories post 1986.

If you look at Commissioner Gordon in Detective Comics #27, it's Pat Hingle with glasses. If you look at Lieutenant Gordon in Batman: Year One, it's Gary Oldman with a cigarette.

first of all
why is this thread under 'general movies' instead of 'comic moves'?

second of all, I honestly just watched Batman and Robin for the firs time ever last week. I'd seen all the others, but never that one. What an emotional roller coaster. Within five minutes, I was angry, then laughing, then I felt like crying. And that loop just continued for the whole movie.

Alicia Silverstone is quite possibly the worst actress I've EVERRRR seen!
there were cartoon noises when people slipped on ice
one or two ice puns would have been corny, but dozens of terrible ice puns warrents a new word that conveys a stronger feeling than corny.
"What keeled da dinosawrs? De IICE AAAGGEE!"
Robin beat Bane by pulling out his tube?
Batman and Robin had skate blades that popped out of their shoes
Batman and Robin sky surfed out of a spaceship on the doors Kit Cloud-Kicker style! (didn't get the reference? go back and watch Tale Spin...oh e oh!)
Bat nipples (although, Batgirl didn't have them...)
and worst of all, so many crotch and but shots when Batman, Robin, and Batgirl were suiting up. Seriously! what the crap!

what a train wreck!

Re: Worst dialogue in a comic book movie

Does anyone know if Batman kills any of his villains in the previous four movies? For some reason I thought he more or less killed the Joker, but I can't remember.

Batman pretty much kills every single villain in the Tim Burton films.

He machine-guns two henchmen from the Batmobile, he kicks the black-sunglasses guy into the abyss, where he falls to his death and then he grapples the Joker's foot, so he falls and dies.

In Batman Returns, he goes on a killing spree. First of all, he kills a guy dressed as a devil by shooting the Batmobile exhaust at him and setting him on fire; next he kills a guy by strapping a bomb on him and letting him explode, then he basically kills Catwoman by pushing her off a building and then at the end, he uses his sonic activator thingy from the comics to get a load of bats to push Penguin into a pool of sewage, which kills him. He even looks a bit pissed off when he finds out that he didn't get to kill Christopher Walken. I ****ing hate Batman Returns.

In Batman Forever, the only person he kills is Two-Face and it makes perfect sense. He kills him to save Robin from the kind of dark, miserable life he has led. He sees that if he can take one more life in order to save someone from losing their innocence to a life of revenge, then it's worth it. Again, Batman Forever is a great film.

Probably the one good thing about Batman & Robin is that it is the only live-action Batman movie since 1966 where Batman doesn't kill anyone.

Batman pretty much kills every single villain in the Tim Burton films.

He machine-guns two henchmen from the Batmobile, he kicks the black-sunglasses guy into the abyss, where he falls to his death and then he grapples the Joker's foot, so he falls and dies.
Don't forget him bombing the chemical factory full of henchmen

I began reading this, but then...
One big thing is that I'm a huge fan of director Tim Burton
This is where he completely lost me. My hatred for Burton is rivaled only by my hatred of Tom Brady, Jeph Loeb, and my fourth grade Math teacher.

[E]Tim Burton (and his fans) embody everything that is wrong with the movie industry.[/E]

Last edited:

God I hated the Burton films. Batman Forever was however awesome incarnate.

[E]Tim Burton (and his fans) embody everything that is wrong with the movie industry.[/E]

You see that's just it. Anyone who likes Batman Returns usually either likes it because of of the over-the-top badassery of it or the Tim Burton 'visual style'. No one ever really seems to like it because it's about Batman. I couldn't care less if a lot of people think it's a really good film. Fact is, I'm a Batman fan and it's a crap Batman film.

And I feel like this film makes the upcoming Batman Begins seem so irrelevant. There's no way Nolan can top this film, and in making a Spider-Man style blockbuster out of Batman, he'll just embrace the commodification of Hollywood that is preventing really personal films from being made. Batman Returns is so unique because it's one of the most personal blockbusters I've ever seen. You can sense Burton's involvement in every level of this project, and maybe that's why the film wasn't successful. To make a film that some people will really love, you're going to alienate others. But, I'd rather have a film that a few people absoultely love than one that everyone likes.

EDIT: I have no respect for this man's opinions. Nolan's Batman films are two of the most clearly personal comic book movies ever made. They are so galactically far from being 'Spider-Man like blockbusters'. I guess I should cut him some slack because he wrote this before Begins was released, but I still want to throttle him.

Anyway, thanks to my rants, we're going off-topic.

Lois: No offence, I just don't think Clark would be interested in someone like you.

Lacy: Oh please, Lois! All men like me! I'm very, very rich!

Last edited:

God I hated the Burton films. Batman Forever was however awesome incarnate.

I wouldn't go that far in praising Forever, but it's good. If they didn't have Robin it would have been much better. :D

After watching Batman 89 the other day I was left wondering why so many people seem to adore it. It felt VERY dated and parts of it were just stupid. My only guess is nostalgia.

After watching Batman 89 the other day I was left wondering why so many people seem to adore it. It felt VERY dated and parts of it were just stupid. My only guess is nostalgia.

Because it was a great Batman film for it's time. Some people just remember the appreciation of making a more serious comic book film.

Well that guy's retarded.

I think his review actually points out the huge problem I've always had with the Burton films: they're far more Tim Burton movies than they are Batman movies. One of the worst things that everyone seems to be taught today is that artistic expression is only authentic when it's totally personal and uncompromising. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing wrong with caring about your audience, particularly when you're being given millions of dollars to bring to life a character adored by millions of people for decades. Not doing that is just kind of selfish.

It's ridiculous to just pass something off as nostalgia because you don't appreciate as much as other people.

I love the Burton Batman movies. I love Burton and I love Batman, so it works out.

Yeah, Batman 89 was my first real experience with Batman, so I'm sure that helps, but that's not nostalgia any more than someone not liking Batman 89 because they were familiar with a different version of the character first.

There's no way you could convince me that those movies aren't "real Batman films."

Oh, and Batman Forever is the worst of the whole series by several parsecs.

Well that guy's retarded.

Not really. He's probably one of my favourite bloggers. He's constantly posting in depth analysis's of comics, movies and TV shows. While you may disagree with one of his posts, I think you would agree with him on a lot of stuff, particularly his love for artists like Grant Morrison and Quentin Tarantino.

That guy in the truck with Gordon and Dent in The Dark Knight repeating the same thing over and over again is annoying as hell.

Oh, and Batman Forever *[and not Batman & Robin]* is the worst of the whole series by several parsecs.

?!?!

[youtube]WzoXibfTHB4[/youtube]

?!?!!?!!

The man is going solo. He is covered in a gloopy substance. And he is going solo. Still, apparently this is not the worst Batman movie ever made.

[youtube]gSn5oJb_I24[/youtube]

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yep folks, you heard her. Uma Thurman just said 'curses' and was then eaten by a vagina plant. That's actually what happened in a movie that is supposedly not the worst Batman movie, ever.

[youtube]VNaDZIrxh-0[/youtube]

?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, I guess that's all the argument you need. Batman & Robin is definitely the cooler film.

Also, Batman 1989 is an excellent Batman film and easily one of my favourite films ever made.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back