Our solar system has lost a planet

Except for the fact that we vote for the Senators. The community didn't vote for these 500 people to represent them. They just decided "Hey, we're going to form a committee and decide for the rest of the astronomical community what a planet is!"

Which isn't even accurate. The IAU is formed up of 9785 members. Only 424 voted. That's like if only 5 Senators voted for a bill to be passed out of the 100 that are a part of the Senate.

Since it was designated as a planet for 76 years by your precious scientific community, shouldn't you be confused as well?

Why?

Things change all the time Lynx. All the time.

Hell, in Genetic Research alone, new theories come up completely erasing old thoughts and ideas. Stuff that's been around for a long time as well.

Why can't you accept the change?

If people never changed their ideas, we would be living on a flat world right now.

And check your info on the community voting for them. It's a conference held every three years, were the representatives of nations are invited. I'm assuming a representative is someone who is voted into a position. So yes, this is the same exact thing like a Senate.

Last edited:
Why?

Things change all the time Lynx. All the time.

Hell, in Genetic Research alone, new theories come up completely erasing old thoughts and ideas. Stuff that's been around for a long time as well.

Why can't you accept the change?

If people never changed their ideas, we would be living on a flat world right now.

It's not the same thing. Not at all. A theory in the field of Genetics is something that helps us better understand genetics. Old theories disappear because they are proven inaccurate, or a new theory better explains something over the old The definition of a 'planet' doesn't help us understand the universe better. It's just a definition. There isn't much different between a 'planet' and a 'dwarf planet'.

And check your info on the community voting for them. It's a conference held every three years, were the representatives of nations are invited. I'm assuming a representative is someone who is voted into a position. So yes, this is the same exact thing like a Senate.

"The XXVIth General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union was held from August 14 to August 25, 2006 in Prague, Czech Republic. On 15 August the Assembly decided to restore to individual members the right to vote on scientific matters, which had been removed from them at the XXVth Assembly in 2003. Among the business before the Assembly was a proposal to adopt a formal definition of planet. During the General Assembly the text of the definition evolved from the initial proposal that would have created 12 known planets in our solar system (adding initially the asteroid Ceres, Pluto's present moon Charon, Eris and would retain Pluto as a planet) to the final definition of a planet resolution that was passed on August 24 by the Assembly, which classified Ceres, Eris and Pluto as dwarf planets, and reduced the number of planets in the solar system to 8. The voting procedure followed IAU's Statutes[1] and Working Rules[2]. The General Assembly lasted 12 days and had 2412 participants[3], most of them for only part of the duration of the Assembly. 424 of the 9785 individual IAU members attended the Closing Ceremony 24 August 2006. Following the August 24th, 2006, parts of the scientific community did not agree with this ruling, especially the specific wording of the resolution, and criticized IAU's authority to name celestial bodies. In the ensuing public debate a number of laypersons, especially school children[citation needed], expressed (at times strong emotional) disagreement with the vote. Another, less vocal, fraction of the scientific community backs the resolution, including the discoverer of the would-have-been-the-10th-planet-Eris, Mike Brown."

Out of the 9785 members that were allowed to vote, only 424 voted. So no, it's nothing like what you're saying.

That's like if only 5 Senators voted for a bill to be passed out of the 100 that are a part of the Senate.

Things like that do happen on occasion, in both Senate and Congress. Not every politician who holds a seat votes on potential bills/laws 100% percent of the time. I'm sure it's the same in the Scientific community.

Things like that do happen on occasion, in both Senate and Congress. Not every politician who holds a seat votes on potential bills/laws 100% percent of the time. I'm sure it's the same in the Scientific community.

5%? No. 50% is even pretty rare.

You're so cute when your angry.

But seriously, this is how a vote happens alot of the time. The people that care will vote. Out of the three thousand that were there, only 40 or so voted, and there vote counts.

I really fail to see what you are so riled about.

And I found this funny website

www.plutoisnotaplanet.com

Last edited:

You might be surprised. Whenever you read or watch on tv that "lawmakers passed a bill today..." I'm almost positive at the very least, 10% of the lawmakers had no vote or say on the bill. You're getting technical, I made my point already. Voting is hardly 100%. We should know this as voters.

So I bought this really awesome light-up/motorized mobile of the Solar System yesterday. Set it up in the afternoon in the TV room, and later moved it to my room. In the evening, I went into my room and noticed that suddenly Pluto was missing from its wire. I was sure it had been there when I brought it in. I looked around on the floor for a few seconds and then, swear to god, I actually scowled and said "Houde."

I later found it under my nightstand a few feet away.

So I bought this really awesome light-up/motorized mobile of the Solar System yesterday. Set it up in the afternoon in the TV room, and later moved it to my room. In the evening, I went into my room and noticed that suddenly Pluto was missing from its wire. I was sure it had been there when I brought it in. I looked around on the floor for a few seconds and then, swear to god, I actually scowled and said "Houde."

I later found it under my nightstand a few feet away.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the Day.

Houde lives under your bed.

That shaking you feel under there at night is just him and SexyNurse.

Latest posts

Back