Over/Under-rated and Over/Under-stated games

Gothamite

I think Gears of War, minus its online function, is treacherously over-rated. The graphics are great. The rest...is just shooting. It doesn't seem any more realistic and exciting than fighting giant monsters did in Superman Returns. The only time I ever had any real fun playing Gears of War was playing two-player with my friends.

007: Nightfire is the biggest load of baloney I've ever played. It doesn't resemble anything like a good or a bad James Bond film. Just a horribly Americanised, Bond-cliché. It's so bad, I never even bothered finishing it.

I think 007: Everything Or Nothing is a really under-rated and understated game. It's actually one of the best games I've ever played. I got it second hand during Christmas break and when I got to the first level on the motorcylce, I safely decided that I hadn't had this much fun with a game since San Andreas. It's such a fun experience and proof that Bond games shouldn't be first-person shooters, because it takes a lot more than a quick trigger finger to be a 00.

I think the story missions in Spider-Man 2 are really under-rated, because they are some of the funniest missions I've ever played in a game, not to mention, they feel like the kind of things Spider-Man would do. The cut-scene where you find Mysterio's apartment and Spidey says,

"A secret door concealed by a bookcase? Mysterio, you brilliant fiend!"

...is the funniest line I've ever heard in a game, ever.

As far as under-stated games go, the first Spider-Man movie game still holds up quite well, even though it feels a lot more like a PSOne game, then a PS2 game. The Green Goblin unlockable is the coolest unlockable ever and it really pissed me off that they didn't continue that alternate story in Spider-Man 2. I got really excited when I heard playable Goblin was back for SM3, but then I found out that you can't even get off the damn glider. Not only that, but everyone calls you 'Spider-Man'. Ugh.

Last edited:
Resistance: Fall of Man.

I'm not sure how underrated this game really is. It got good reviews. I don't think enough people have played this game, because not alot of people have PS3s yet. Usually once I beat a game it goes on ebay but this one I refuse to sell.

It's an awesome FPS, with a great campain and an interesting and deep storyline. I've heard some people say it's just another WWII game but it is so much better than most shooters. Online play is pretty fun too, though I've not played too much. I suggest you play it if you get the chance.

IGN Review

Last edited:
I liked Nightfire, but I agree it isn't anything to truly hype about. I never got the chance to play Everything or Nothing.

One very over-rated is that Pikmin game. IT'S BULL****! One of the most boringest and dumbest game ever, and it was highly loved. BAH!

Resistance: Fall of Man.

I'm not sure how underrated this game really is. It got good reviews. I don't think enough people have played this game, because not alot of people have PS3s yet. Usually once I beat a game it goes on ebay but this one I refuse to sell.

It's an awesome FPS, with a great campain and an interesting and deep storyline. I've heard some people say it's just another WWII game but it is so much better than most shooters. Online play is pretty fun too, though I've not played too much. I suggest you play it if you get the chance.

IGN Review

I totally agree, I LOATHE FPS games, but a guy friend of mine brought over his copy, and I swear to god, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it's the story/alternate history, of what, but it's a really fun game.

Overrated, the Halo series, there I said it. I really don't understand the appeal. As much as I hate FPSs, I can still admit, there are MUCH better shooters (Half-Life probably being the best IMHO). I just don't get the drive behind the game.

I totally agree, I LOATHE FPS games, but a guy friend of mine brought over his copy, and I swear to god, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it's the story/alternate history, of what, but it's a really fun game.

Overrated, the Halo series, there I said it. I really don't understand the appeal. As much as I hate FPSs, I can still admit, there are MUCH better shooters (Half-Life probably being the best IMHO). I just don't get the drive behind the game.

My girlfriend rarely plays games at all and bugs me to play Resistance every few days. She's beat it like 5 times and is on Super Human diffuculty which is pretty damn hard. That right there tells me how good a games it is. I can't wait for the second one.

I still haven't played Halo. I feel like I really need to just to see if it lives up to the hype.

Psychonauts (PS2) is an incredibly underrated game. It was developed by the same guy who did the Escape from Monkey Island series, and has the premise of you jumping into people's minds to help them. Each level is very different and you never really know what your going to see next.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....a worthy yet in-depth topic. What really qualifies as underrated? Each game is placed in a specific genre and each genre has it's fans.

Case in point---I hate FPS. With a passion. But I love "Killzone" and "Black". They're the only 2 FPS games I have....and I don't even play them but for like 15 minutes every 3 months.

You want a list of underrated games? Ok...

• Mark of Kri
  • Rise of the Kasai
  • Okami
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ico
  • Way of the Samurai

Those are all games that could not only be considered sleeper hits...but art itself. Especially Ico, Shadows, and Okami.

They're all great games that are overshadowed by whatever current trend game is coming out. Masterpiece games like those are being disregarded for generic overrated games like:

• GTA
  • Need for Speed
  • And a bunch more that fail the mind as of now...

"Everything or Nothing" and "Psychnauts" were both GREAT games.

Hmmmm.....a worthy yet in-depth topic. What really qualifies as underrated? Each game is placed in a specific genre and each genre has it's fans.

Case in point---I hate FPS. With a passion. But I love "Killzone" and "Black". They're the only 2 FPS games I have....and I don't even play them but for like 15 minutes every 3 months.

You want a list of underrated games? Ok...

• Mark of Kri
  • Rise of the Kasai
  • Okami
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ico
  • Way of the Samurai

Those are all games that could not only be considered sleeper hits...but art itself. Especially Ico, Shadows, and Okami.

They're all great games that are overshadowed by whatever current trend game is coming out. Masterpiece games like those are being disregarded for generic overrated games like:

• GTA
  • Need for Speed
  • And a bunch more that fail the mind as of now...

"Everything or Nothing" and "Psychnauts" were both GREAT games.

y'know, I'd almost forgotten the GTA series...

another one for my list, and as much of a Final Fantasy fangirl as I am, I hate FF7. Which is one of the most overrated games of all time.

y'know, I'd almost forgotten the GTA series...

another one for my list, and as much of a Final Fantasy fangirl as I am, I hate FF7. Which is one of the most overrated games of all time.

Of the FF games I have played FF9 is my favorite, but a lot of fans hated it.

I liked Nightfire, but I agree it isn't anything to truly hype about. I never got the chance to play Everything or Nothing.

One very over-rated is that Pikmin game. IT'S BULL****! One of the most boringest and dumbest game ever, and it was highly loved. BAH!

What killed Pikmin was the damn time limit, other than that it would be an okay game at the best

Psychonaughts (PS2) is an incredibly underrated game. It was developed by the same guy who did the Escape from Monkey Island series, and has the premise of you jumping into people's minds to help them. Each level is very different and you never really know what your going to see next.

Psychonauts is a truely ingenious game

I like more "realistic" FPS games, to be honest. The Tom Clancy series, for instance (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon) are very good games.

Halo and Gears are good, but I'll agree they're overrated. But, anything with that amount of hype tends to be. Halo is probably the best arcade shooter on consoles and Gears gives you a sense of being in the middle of a warzone (In addition to being really pretty). That's why they get the amount of hype they do. Thing is, that doesn't include games like the Tom Clancy series or primarily PC games like Half-Life/Counter-Strike, the Battlefield series, etc.

As for 007 games, everything after Goldeneye has sucked except Everything or Nothing. That was a true James Bond game.

As for underrated games, I agree with Vic about Ico, Shadows of the Colossus and Okami. They were incredible games, but people never gave them a chance. Pick them up if you have cash to burn.

Last edited:
Halo, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Legend of Zelda, and Mario games are all overrated. However, that doesn't mean they can't be good. They're all entertaining and that's all that matters.

I think Battlefront 1 and 2 are pretty underrated. Though I don't play online, so I'm not sure how big the online community is.

Blizzard's games are vastly overrated.

my computer wanked out on me and now i have to post using my PS3 so iwill not be giving reasons for my selections

underrated game: Stuntman (PS2 & X-Box)

overrated game: any FPS

Every sports game ever made, Most World War II games (IE Call of Duty, Medal of Honor), and in my opinion, most Wii titles are over rated. I'm a huge fan of Gears and a raging Halo fanboy, so I'm going to disagree with everyone there. In fact, I've already bought my Halo 3 legendary pack. Yes, that's the one with the helmet...my friend's refer to it as the "I'm a virgin" version.

Counter Strike is the most over rated FPS in the history of ever.

Every sports game ever made, Most World War II games (IE Call of Duty, Medal of Honor), and in my opinion, most Wii titles are over rated. I'm a huge fan of Gears and a raging Halo fanboy, so I'm going to disagree with everyone there. In fact, I've already bought my Halo 3 legendary pack. Yes, that's the one with the helmet...my friend's refer to it as the "I'm a virgin" version.

Your friend speaks the truth

Overrated:
GTA
Halo
Gears of War
World of Warcraft
Zelda
Final Fantasy 7

Please don't kill me.

Underrated:
Okami
Final Fantasy X
Way of the Samurai

Those are the ones that I can remember. I think Zelda was going to a good direction with Windwaker, but with TP it came backwards. If you count nostalgy it is an awesome game, taking it away makes the game just a regular, I would say 7/10.
Gears of wars is cool, but it's not everything everyone says it is. I've played Halo 1 and 2, didn't dig it, everyone say that the online part of the game is cool, but I've never tried.
GTA kinda introduced the free roam in big cities, but it's not everything they say it is.

I hate Cloud, I hate Sephiroth, I specially hate Vicent. I hate the fact that they've whored out Sephiroth in the movie. Worst pop up ever. The story is not THAT great. Although I would totally buy a third person or maybe even a FPS with Barret. MOST UNDERRATED AND UNUSED CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME. Holy ****, you have tons of things to do with Barret, he is so connected with the story of the word itself that you could make his own game. The dude was the first one to go against Shinra, after the whole mess, he is the one searching for a new way to get energy without hurting the planet. IMO he is the only character who gives a **** for the people, the others are to busy crying. Cid is cool too.

Edit: I would totally buy the Halo 3 special edition just for that helmet. It is awesome.

Last edited:
Psychonauts (PS2) is an incredibly underrated game. It was developed by the same guy who did the Escape from Monkey Island series, and has the premise of you jumping into people's minds to help them. Each level is very different and you never really know what your going to see next.
I take it you're referring to Tim Schafer.

Schafer was only involved in the first two Monkey Island games, contributing a sizeable chunk of the humorous dialogue necessary for the ancillary sections of the game, but FAR LESS involved in puzzle design and the general 'master plan' of that series.

Which is not to say he ain't great. He was lead designer and project lead for Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, two adventure games whose total combined awesomeness exceeds that of every single person who has ever been a project lead on the Monkey Island series: Ron Gilbert, Jonathan Ackley, Larry Ahern, Michael Stemmle and Sean Clark.

Latest posts

Back