Peter Parker expelled from high school?

Ultimate Spidey gets expelled = many, many conflicts and possible stories = good idea = Bendis won't do it. Main reason is it would take time to write and plot effectively since it would change the series dynamic and Bendis can't devote that time to this comic. He's spending too much time hitting ctrl+H in his word processor and changing all the proper nouns in his "My Only Story" file so he can keep his deadlines, the ****ing hack.

But then didn't he fail out of Columbia University?
actually, he failed to graduate the first time because he missed a gym class because he was out as spidey (if i remember correctly anyway) he had to go back before eventually finishing it, he also dropped out of grad school so he could concentrate on everything else in his life but he was never exactly kicked out.

and about the whole expulsion/suspension/detention stuff...i figure we're gonna see the conclusion to that at the end of the silver sable arc. i doubt he will be expelled & i don't think it would be a good idea if he did, i can see them suspending him for a few weeks-a month though, if bendis had a few good arcs they could link it together. maybe concentrate on the spiderman part of his life until it all comes to a head in issue 100 or the end of the clone saga or whatever, then go back to the whole peter parker thing when the spidey parts of his life have calmed down, leaving him 2 deal with all the **** that spidermans caused peter parkers life to turn into.

Anyone bring up the possibility of him dropping out yet?

I think that idea has more merit than him simply getting kicked out.

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
actually, he failed to graduate the first time because he missed a gym class because he was out as spidey (if i remember correctly anyway) he had to go back before eventually finishing it, he also dropped out of grad school so he could concentrate on everything else in his life but he was never exactly kicked out.

I've never heard of gym as a required class in any university, much less Columbia. :roll:

I've never heard of gym as a required class in any university, much less Columbia

i know but i'm pretty sure that is the reason, he was going to NYU anyway i think (dunno if that makes a difference what with me being english & all)

i will go check now anyway

UltimateE said:
I've never heard of gym as a required class in any university, much less Columbia. :roll:

Some sports-related classes are, depending on your major. Not sure about specific colleges different requirements, but I had a friend who's major in physical therapy required several weightlifting and other physical classes...which makes sense given his field of study.

and here is the link...
http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/spiderman_amazing/185.html

for those of you who can't be bothered to look here ya go...

The last 1/3 of issue #185 deals with Peter's Graduation from ESU. Aunt May is recovering in the hospital from her latest heart attack and is visited by Joe Robertson, who wheels in a television set. Robbie's son has borrowed some Daily Bugle video equipment so that May can witness Peter's graduation ceremony. As Peter arrives at the ESU campus, he is greeted by Harry, Flash and Betty Leeds who are there to witness the event.

When Peter goes to pick up his cap and gown, he is not on the graduation list, but is given a spare cap and gown to keep the line moving. There is no seat reserved for him with the graduating class, but he finds an empty seat of a guy who is sick and takes it. Jonah Jameson is the guest speaker and he gives his typically long winded speech that lasts hours. When the graduates are called one by one to accept their diplomas, Peter's name is skipped and he can't believe it.

It turns out that he missed graduating by 1 credit because he did not take a mandatory gym class. Peter curses himself for being too busy as Spider-man, but decides that he can make up the class over the summer and get his diploma in September. In the end, Peter is happy to be done with college and eager to take on the challenges of the "real" world.
it was also ESU instead of NYU (if that makes any difference)

Anyone bring up the possibility of him dropping out yet?
i cant really see that as a possiblility, although he doesn't seem to want to be peter parker anymore (which i doubt will change for a while) he still wants to do well at school, he just seems to see what they are teaching him atm to be a waste of time because he knows it already.

Last edited:
Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i cant really see that as a possiblility, although he doesn't seem to want to be peter parker anymore (which i doubt will change for a while) he still wants to do well at school, he just seems to see what they are teaching him atm to be a waste of time because he knows it already.

I don't see where you're getting the "he still wants to do well at school"

I honestly don't think he cares anymore.

I don't see where you're getting the "he still wants to do well at school"

I honestly don't think he cares anymore.
i s'pose, i kind'a mis-typed. I meant more that he still wants to LEARN, he just doesn't wanna go to school to do that work. From what ive been seeing he still wants to learn he's just ****'ed at what they're teaching & the way they're teaching it. if he had something to challenge him he'd wanna be there. in (i can't remember what issue but it was in the warriors arc) he thought about how they were "teaching 10th grade at a 6th grade level" & thought his teacher was an "idiot". just because he doesn't seem to care about most of peter parkers life doesnt mean he doesn't wanna learn

might just be me 'cos i'm the same when it comes to school. i hate it 'cos it doesn't challenge me (i'm a smart kid) so i ended up skipping a lot, now i HAVE to go to EVERY lesson or else i get kicked out, cos i'm in non-compulsory school now. (but i digress)

DIrishB said:
Some sports-related classes are, depending on your major. Not sure about specific colleges different requirements, but I had a friend who's major in physical therapy required several weightlifting and other physical classes...which makes sense given his field of study.

Whatever Peter's major was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't sports related and wouldn't require a gym class.

I think they should have the principle expell him, but they decide not to see all he has to deal with (the death of his Uncle, death of Gwen, the diaster with Harry, all happening within one year) Im mean that alone it tough enough without Spider-man. But I think thatr could be a good story, maybe Fury will play a hand in it, him being a control freak.

And he just cant stand being in class anymore, seeing Gwen's empty desk, break up with MJ. But mainly I think he sees how pointless it is, being Spider-man should him a lot of crap that happens in the world, and sees high school as something thats not worth worrying about. Plus sit around listen to all the dumb conversation people are having, he just cant take it. When you have super power, save live, see some of the worst mankind has, these things high schoolers worry about are just so insignificant compared to it

And I have heard of colleges actually having gym classes.

What if Fury set up Peter to go to school at the Baxter Building?

I doubt such an arrangement would last long...

But I don't think Peter getting immersed in the Superhero community would be bad at all...

I mean, it would only be a "till you graduate" kind of thing, and for the first time he'd be able to work on his Stuff professionally...

Random said:
And I have heard of colleges actually having gym classes.

Not as a requirement for a science degree.

UltimateE said:
Whatever Peter's major was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't sports related and wouldn't require a gym class.

I know, I was just countering all semantic-like.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Majors? I thought we were talkin' about High School.

We were, until we went off on the 616 Peter almost not graduating from ESU due to the missed gym class tangent. Pay attention.

UltimateE said:
Not as a requirement for a science degree.

Depends on the science. Lab-based type sciences...nah. Physically and/or anatomically related sciences, you bet.

And everyone talking about Peter not caring about school and stuff, I don't think thats true. I definitly think Spider-Man is more of a priority for him, as he thinks he can do good through it, despite all the bad that also happens to him as a result. And I don't think Pete would want to disappoint Aunt May in terms of dropping out of school or something like that. I honestly just don't see the title going in that direction.

Whatever Peter's major was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't sports related and wouldn't require a gym class
i read the issue, it's because of him needing an extra gym credit he never got.

I think they should have the principle expell him, but they decide not to see all he has to deal with (the death of his Uncle, death of Gwen, the diaster with Harry, all happening within one year) Im mean that alone it tough enough without Spider-man. But I think thatr could be a good story, maybe Fury will play a hand in it, him being a control freak.
i like that idea, they could have it at the end of the silver sable arc, like they had the aunt may & MJ stand alones, where they could have the headteacher, or someone interviewing either peter, or most of his supporting cast to see what they think about whats going on with him. you could see what kong, liz & flash think of him, maybe his teachers, people like that.

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
i read the issue, it's because of him needing an extra gym credit he never got.

Okaaaaay...That wasn't my point. I wasn't disputing that it happened.

My point is that it was idiotic because he was a science major and no university would *require* a gym class as part of the curriculum.

Bad writing.

UltimateE said:

My point is that it was idiotic because he was a science major and no university would *require* a gym class as part of the curriculum.

Bad writing.
Actually most colleges require general education classes be completed and a physical education class is necessary to fulfill general Ed classes.

i knew what you meant, but you worded it as if too say you weren't convinced so i was just proving my point, quite true though.

it was the seventies, what do you expect :p

Latest posts

Back