Planet Hulk Movie

I like Planet Hulk, but even I'll admit it does not get interesting until like the last 4 issues

just like Pak's run on Skaar, and WWH on it's last issue

he tends to stop and smell the roses too much, meandering with unnecessary descriptions and juxtapositions. Then the last bit is a very rushed scramble that causes the story to loose alot of it's bite.

I couldn't get into Planet Hulk. I found it really boring and I couldn't get past the idea of why it had come about. The Illuminati send Hulk into space because he went on a rampage. Hasn't he rampaged thousands of times before? Why just now? And why is shooting him into space the best option? Why not combine their resources to try and cure him, confine him, help him somehow?

I can't even be bothered to start reading it because it's so far from what Hulk is about. Hulk is at its best when it's treated as a Jekyll and Hyde story, because that's what he is. To have him go into space and become a gladiator is just way too out there and is too much of a departure from the core of the character. Same goes for any cosmic-based story featuring Spider-Man or Batman.

I can't even be bothered to start reading it because it's so far from what Hulk is about. Hulk is at its best when it's treated as a Jekyll and Hyde story, because that's what he is. To have him go into space and become a gladiator is just way too out there and is too much of a departure from the core of the character. Same goes for any cosmic-based story featuring Spider-Man or Batman.

Well the story may not be the best, but was a good set up to World War Hulk, so it all depends on whether you like World war hulk.

The problem I have with a lot of these DTVs is the pacing at 75 mins everything goes by too fast, if these things were 90 mins long, it would be better.

I would have prefered instead of Planet Hulk, like a DTV about Daredevil's origins that combines aspects from Man Without Fear and DD: Yellow, but with tighter story telling.

That is, unless it's been announced that it will be following the comic book storyline closely, in which case, yeah, it probably will be awesome.

Fixed that for ya.

But that's just you.

You just don't get it.

Silver Savage.

right, him. I wonder if he'll be in the movie.

And the first UA was pretty good. The second, not so much.
I liked the second one better than the first, I think. But they were both pretty bad.

Don't watch Iron Man, the live action movie is way better. These DTVs are alright, I kinda liked Wonder woman, they aren't the best cartoons in the world, but trust I have seen cartoons far worse, like the 90s Avengers cartoons or Spider-Man Unlimited.

....I liked Spider-Man Unlimited.

But that's just you.

You just don't get it.

I don't think he wants to get it. And I'm with him.

I think it was Ultxon who said Hulk becoming a gladiator in space is like Batman becoming king of the unicorns.

I don't think he wants to get it. And I'm with him.

I think it was Ultxon who said Hulk becoming a gladiator in space is like Batman becoming king of the unicorns.

You really think the Hulk bashing in the brains of a bunch of aliens on a barren, Robert E. Howard style barbarian planet is really that antithetical to the character?

And remember now, we aren't talking in terms of comic book continuity. We're talking in terms of what works on the screen.

Last edited:
You really think the Hulk bashing in the brains of a bunch of aliens on a barren, Robert E. Howard style barbarian planet is really that antithetical to the character?

Maybe not antithetical to the character, but it's not exactly the Hulk I want to read.

To me, it's a cool image but not a very good story.

;) But we're talking about film, not print, right?

I have no interest in Marvel's animated movies and combined with my lack of interest in the Hulk comics means I don't care what we're talking about.

But that's just you.

You just don't get it.

Oh no, Venom Melendez. I DO get it. That's the point. The story is completely removed from what Hulk is and has been about since 1960-whatever. Read the original 6-issue miniseries he made his first appearance in and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The people that don't "get it" are the ones that wrote the story.

Oh no, Venom Melendez. I DO get it. That's the point. The story is completely removed from what Hulk is and has been about since 1960-whatever. Read the original 6-issue miniseries he made his first appearance in and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The people that don't "get it" are the ones that wrote the story.

Hey if you want to read the Jekyll/Hyde story the Hulk is "about" then go read the original mini. They tried something vaguely new with the character and it worked.

Your typecasting the character, that's exactly what Loeb does you know this right? though Loeb's is just "Hulk smash everything, and everyone"

I agree with E on this one, but I also agree with Zombi.

I think E's point that nobody gets what the character truly was is correct. It is a jekyl/hyde story and you could easily make a story about the hulk fighting with his inner banner to make him some kind of schitzo. I think that would be a terrific story. Especially if it was written in a manner where the reader doesn't know if this is truly a battle of two beings or just a really messed up monster that talks to himself.

personality hulks, colered hulks; those are essentially stupid ideas.

But I did enjoy planet hulk to a certain extent because it was a refreshing take on a boring title. I think if they end up doing what zombi is referring to, it will be a great flick.

EDIT: loeb doesn't typecast, he ignores all continuity, makes his own and ruins it. You can still typecast and make it great...what loeb does is nothing short of HACK.

Last edited:
Bah. Looks like ****.

Almost all of Marvel's DTV are ****ty re-hashes of stories they've printed that nobody wants to see. And the fact that they throw such little production into these efforts really makes me mad.

I'm beginning to think that Marvel is locked in some sort of bad contract with this animation studio.

Dear Marvel,

You wanna make some good DTVs? How about you get a new animation studio and then base the stories on some of your more famous events?

Avengers Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
Planet Hulk (...ok...fine...I'll give you that one but the animation still looks dumb)
Secret Infiltration/Ivasion

Assuming you guys put out 1 new DTV a year...that's 5 years worth of stuff right there! You basically start each new film with a voiceover monologue showing a couple still frames recapping what's happening in the world (think Star Wars credits and Spiderman2's opening credits by Alex Ross) and BOOM! Instant catch up and ready for the film.

You guys are wasting too much time on origin DVDs for people like Thor or Iron Man.

If you need any further help on this simple idea...please feel free to gimme a call.

Faithfully Yours Unfortunately,
Doom

Latest posts

Back