Planet Hulk Movie

Bah. Looks like ****.

Almost all of Marvel's DTV are ****ty re-hashes of stories they've printed that nobody wants to see. And the fact that they throw such little production into these efforts really makes me mad.

I'm beginning to think that Marvel is locked in some sort of bad contract with this animation studio.

Dear Marvel,

You wanna make some good DTVs? How about you get a new animation studio and then base the stories on some of your more famous events?

Avengers Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
Planet Hulk (...ok...fine...I'll give you that one but the animation still looks dumb)
Secret Infiltration/Ivasion

Assuming you guys put out 1 new DTV a year...that's 5 years worth of stuff right there! You basically start each new film with a voiceover monologue showing a couple still frames recapping what's happening in the world (think Star Wars credits and Spiderman2's opening credits by Alex Ross) and BOOM! Instant catch up and ready for the film.

You guys are wasting too much time on origin DVDs for people like Thor or Iron Man.

If you need any further help on this simple idea...please feel free to gimme a call.

Faithfully Yours Unfortunately,
Doom

Totally agree. They need to focus on bigger more popular stories. The kind of stories fans really want to see.

Or they need to focus on what works... Spider-Man. Like a Spectacular Spider-Man Movie. I'll bet at least half the board here would buy that. And probably the other seven hundred people at the "keep 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' Alive" facebook page...

Last edited:
Bah. Looks like ****.

Almost all of Marvel's DTV are ****ty re-hashes of stories they've printed that nobody wants to see. And the fact that they throw such little production into these efforts really makes me mad.

I'm beginning to think that Marvel is locked in some sort of bad contract with this animation studio.

Dear Marvel,

You wanna make some good DTVs? How about you get a new animation studio and then base the stories on some of your more famous events?

Avengers Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
Planet Hulk (...ok...fine...I'll give you that one but the animation still looks dumb)
Secret Infiltration/Ivasion

Assuming you guys put out 1 new DTV a year...that's 5 years worth of stuff right there! You basically start each new film with a voiceover monologue showing a couple still frames recapping what's happening in the world (think Star Wars credits and Spiderman2's opening credits by Alex Ross) and BOOM! Instant catch up and ready for the film.

You guys are wasting too much time on origin DVDs for people like Thor or Iron Man.

If you need any further help on this simple idea...please feel free to gimme a call.

Faithfully Yours Unfortunately,
Doom

I think the problem is that they don't focus on what makes animation great. Instead they take existing comic book story lines (most of which aren't very good) and try to shoehorn the direction and pacing of the comic book into an animated movie instead of taking the core concept and tailoring it to fit the strengths of animated film. Planet Hulk makes for a mediocre book that's fairly antithetical to the character's core concept, but could potentially make for a bad ass animated film. Civil War was pretentious, wanky, boring pseudo-philosophy. But a ninety minute animated extravaganza about heroes hunting heroes? Hell, sign me up for that ****. Imagine the badass set pieces they could pull off with that.

They don't need an "animated film continuity" in the same way DC did. They don't need vast exposition. I don't even think they need a narrative scroll in the style of Star Wars. Take the visceral, core aspects of the better Marvel events and stories, strip the meat from the bone, and shove it into an animation blender. I agree. We don't need origin stories. The audience doesn't see how Iron Man became Iron Man. Throw us into Armor Wars and if that sells well, follow it right up with World's Most Wanted. Don't give us 45 minutes of talking heads about why registration is good or bad. Give us 90 minutes of Marvel's heavy hitters hunting the street level characters through the alleys and sewers of New York. Don't give us a secret cabal of Marvel's movers and shakers rationalizing shooting the Hulk into space. Give us the Hulk ripping wicked aliens to death in geysers of blood and bone.

I think the problem is that they don't focus on what makes animation great. Instead they take existing comic book story lines (most of which aren't very good) and try to shoehorn the direction and pacing of the comic book into an animated movie instead of taking the core concept and tailoring it to fit the strengths of animated film. Planet Hulk makes for a mediocre book that's fairly antithetical to the character's core concept, but could potentially make for a bad ass animated film. Civil War was pretentious, wanky, boring pseudo-philosophy. But a ninety minute animated extravaganza about heroes hunting heroes? Hell, sign me up for that ****. Imagine the badass set pieces they could pull off with that.

They don't need an "animated film continuity" in the same way DC did. They don't need vast exposition. I don't even think they need a narrative scroll in the style of Star Wars. Take the visceral, core aspects of the better Marvel events and stories, strip the meat from the bone, and shove it into an animation blender. I agree. We don't need origin stories. The audience doesn't see how Iron Man became Iron Man. Throw us into Armor Wars and if that sells well, follow it right up with World's Most Wanted. Don't give us 45 minutes of talking heads about why registration is good or bad. Give us 90 minutes of Marvel's heavy hitters hunting the street level characters through the alleys and sewers of New York. Don't give us a secret cabal of Marvel's movers and shakers rationalizing shooting the Hulk into space. Give us the Hulk ripping wicked aliens to death in geysers of blood and bone.

I think the "trimming of the fat" goes without saying.

And not that the animated continuity is needed, since a lot of these stories could be read/viewed on their own...but having a lil continuity to see how these stories could tie into one another is a nice thing.

I liked this film. Not my favourite animated movie (that's Next Avengers) but still pretty fun.

I liked this film. Not my favourite animated movie (that's Next Avengers) but still pretty fun.

Next Avengers is your favorite animated Marvel film?

What?

Have you seen Dr.Strange yet?

I swear I don't get how your brain works.

Last edited:
I have seen Dr.Strange it was okay. But i don't really like the character so most of it was meh to me.

You LIKED Next Avengers?

It was dreck!

Dr. Strange was easily the best effort thus far. I plan on seeing Planet Hulk soon, I hope it holds up well

so i actually liked that one!

One question though. Is the animation supposed to be mimicking JRJR's art?

I only ask because the style seemed...i dunno, distinct.

Just watched this too, I really enjoyed it, kinda choked by the lack of the Surfer but I imagine there was some sort of rights complication, but Beta Ray Bill was an inspired choice to replace him.

Though I kinda wish they had the proper ending with Hulks ship going supernova and destroying everything, with Hulk heading out for earth for vengeance, but I suppose the happy ending version works ok aswell.

The cosmic character cameo's made the movie for me, I saw Gamora, Star-Lord, Pre-Herald Firelord (Pyreus Kril), Kl'rt (i think), R'kin, and a couple other Skrulls. Makes me hope for an Annihilation movie like this, though Silver Surfer was a pretty big part of that story too so I don't know if it would work.

I enjoyed this a lot. I totally geeked at the Thor, Star Lord, and Gamora cameos but I full on geekgasmed when Beta Ray Bill showed up.

Latest posts

Back