Avengers Post-Siege Avengers news

Re: Who should write the New Avengers after Bendis leaves?

I'm in the same boat. I don't understand why he has the prestige he has.

I may be absolutely wrong about this. But I feel like he was the first or one of the first main stream comic book artists to have a very unique style. All those guys before him (Kirby, Romita Sr, Gil Kane, etc) pretty much looked the same. He got his start doing a back up story in an ASM annual back in the 70s and he tried to mimic the style everyone else used and he sucked at it, but then became popular working on Iron Man a few years later.

He also co-created the Hobgoblin with Roger Stern and was the artist for Stern's classic "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut"

I don't really like his art much either, but the fact that he's the son of one of the classic great Marvel artists, coupled with a unique style and being the artist for some landmark issues of ASM, you can sort of understand it.

I don't think he would ever get hired by DC (nor would he want to work for them)

Last edited:

John Romita Jr..... SHUDDERS...

And that picture of Cap done by him looks like CRAP btw...

Iron Man promo
11152storystory_full-5215518..jpg

Somehow the new armor doesn't look quite as sleek when JRJR draws it.

Last edited:

I may be absolutely wrong about this. But I feel like he was the first or one of the first main stream comic book artists to have a very unique style. All those guys before him (Kirby, Romita Sr, Gil Kane, etc) pretty much looked the same. He got his start doing a back up story in an ASM annual back in the 70s and he tried to mimic the style everyone else used and he sucked at it, but then became popular working on Iron Man a few years later.

He also co-created the Hobgoblin with Roger Stern and was the artist for Stern's classic "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut"

I don't really like his art much either, but the fact that he's the son of one of the classic great Marvel artists, coupled with a unique style and being the artist for some landmark issues of ASM, you can sort of understand it.

I don't think he would ever get hired by DC (nor would he want to work for them)

Exactly.

Just because his art isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean he didn't earn his prestige.

Last edited:

whaaaaaa?

And what about Jim Steranko, huh? WHAT ABOUT HIM!?

For that matter, what about Curt Swan?

Last edited:

Exactly.

Just because his art isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean he didn't earn his prestige.

*sigh*

No one is saying or suggesting that he hasn't earned prestige or respect. No one came anywhere close to saying or hinting that.

whaaaaaa?

And what about Jim Steranko, huh? WHAT ABOUT HIM!?

For that matter, what about Curt Swan?

I'm not sure why you emphasized Kirby there. All I'm saying is that those guys all drew very sort of plain very 'classic' looking comic art. JRJR was one of the first to be different. You're right though, he wasn't the first. I forgot about Steranko. And I have no idea who Curt Swan is.

But i admitted that I might not know what I was talking about.

I'm not sure why you emphasized Kirby there. All I'm saying is that those guys all drew very sort of plain very 'classic' looking comic art. JRJR was one of the first to be different. You're right though, he wasn't the first. I forgot about Steranko. And I have no idea who Curt Swan is.

But i admitted that I might not know what I was talking about.

I think there are distinctions that might be overlooked today because you might be used to seeing them, from, you know, lots of people imitating Kirby.

But don't tell me this one doesn't have distinct style.
jack%20kirby.%20the%20fantastic%20four.%20this%20man.%20.%20.this%20monster.%20splash.jpg

Or that this doesn't draw on the same acid mythology of Steranko in just a different way.
devildinosaur.gif

or this
kirby_capt_victory_1982.jpg

I think there are distinctions that might be overlooked today because you might be used to seeing them, from, you know, lots of people imitating Kirby.

I'm not really into comics form that era and I don't know a ton about the artists, but my understanding is that yeah - a LOT of people imitated Kirby. I can see this being true.

But don't tell me this one doesn't have distinct style.

i wasn't trying to be down on Kirby. I know a lot of people imitated his style, that's what i mean. JRJR and Steranko, and others decided to be different and opened up the medium to all the different styles there are today. That's one of the reasons JRJR is considered a superstar artist at Marvel.

i wasn't trying to be down on Kirby. I know a lot of people imitated his style, that's what i mean. JRJR and Steranko, and others decided to be different and opened up the medium to all the different styles there are today. That's one of the reasons JRJR is considered a superstar artist at Marvel.

See, I don't think that comic book artists were all carbon copies of each other until JRJR magically came along. There's been rich variety in artists since the beginning. There was a variety of style before Kirby and there's a variety now. It may have opened up since then, but it's not something new to the art or even the industry. Ditko had a pretty unique style too. I just don't buy the thought that JRJR suddenly revolutionized comics by introducing the idea of STYLE! ;)

Incidentally, I like his stuff.

Giffen and Perez also preceded JRJR and had their own distinct styles.

Last edited:

See, I don't think that comic book artists were all carbon copies of each other until JRJR magically came along. There's been rich variety in artists since the beginning. There was a variety of style before Kirby and there's a variety now. It may have opened up since then, but it's not something new to the art or even the industry. Ditko had a pretty unique style too. I just don't buy the thought that JRJR suddenly revolutionized comics by introducing the idea of STYLE! ;)

Incidentally, I like his stuff.

Giffen and Perez also preceded JRJR and had their own distinct styles.

i don't think we're talking about the same thing.

So, i agree with what you're saying.

and incidentally, while i don't hate JRJR's stuff, i don't really like it either.

i don't think we're talking about the same thing.

So, i agree with what you're saying.

and incidentally, while i don't hate JRJR's stuff, i don't really like it either.

See, I disagree with this:

captaincanuck65 said:
JRJR was one of the first to be different.

As for who should write New Avengers once Bendis leaves:

Salman Rushdie

Latest posts

Back