Preacher

GMaster

Banned
DC Vertigo's finest in my opinion, and easily one of the best comics ever created. Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon are absolutely great on this, seriously, adn Glenn provides some awesome covers. This is a must buy for everyone, and if you havn't read this already then you need to buy the Trade Papaerbacks of it, or borrow it off a friend, you won't be dissapointed.

I do like the ending, although I won't say anything more about it except that The Saint of Killer's kicks so much ***, and anyway, yeah, read it. If anyone else has read it, what did you think of it?

GMaster said:
DC Vertigo's finest in my opinion, and easily one of the best comics ever created. Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon are absolutely great on this, seriously, adn Glenn provides some awesome covers. This is a must buy for everyone, and if you havn't read this already then you need to buy the Trade Papaerbacks of it, or borrow it off a friend, you won't be dissapointed.

I do like the ending, although I won't say anything more about it except that The Saint of Killer's kicks so much ***, and anyway, yeah, read it. If anyone else has read it, what did you think of it?
* points at his Vertigo Stack * Preachers about in the middle.

It was a good series, but I think it really peaked in the middle, about Monument Valley. After that it seemed to lose the strong sense of direction that it had beforehand. Part of this was undeniably the shift in attention the main characters had. I guess I wish it just hadn't been quite so epic as it was to start so that the more low key ending wouldn't have seemed lesser.

Heh, I had a sigpic based off of Jessie Custer here for a while.

I agree about it peaking around the middle.

Cassidy was by far my favorite character....

Whats the rest of you Vertigo people's favorite title?

For me its a cross between The Sandman and Swamp Thing (Alan Moore run)

Dr.Strangefate said:
I agree about it peaking around the middle.

Cassidy was by far my favorite character....

For me its a cross between The Sandman and Swamp Thing (Alan Moore run)
Probably a tie between 100 Bullets and Sandman. I love them both for diffrent reasons.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Hard to say. Vertigo has had so much good output over the past decade that it's impossible to pick just one.

Off the top of my head? Vertigo Pop! London by Peter Milligan and Philip Bond, Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, Face by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo (w/c Fegredo claims is his best work to date), Hellblazer: Bad Blood by Peter Milligan and Philip Bond --- which is one of the rare Constantine stories that has not been republished in trade, i believe.

But when really really forced to pick, I'll go with the immensely off the wall, ahead of its time, and absolutely sick Finals by Will Pfeiffer and Jill Thompson. An immensely overlooked and underrated campus comedy that turns college into an 'extreme college' where thesis projects are taken VERY SERIOUSLY.

What annoys me about Vertigo is how huge their output is, but how scarce their trades are. Finals is one of the many many many stories that Vertigo has failed to collect in trade form and if you spot a complete set of this four-issue miniseries, I highly recommend picking it up.

You know my word is good. :D

Learn more about Finals here: http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/missed/1.html

It's not actually under Vertigo, but Watchmen was probably the best and most gripping graphic novel i've ever read. I just couldn't put it down. It is amazing. No more can be said.

GMaster said:
It's not actually under Vertigo, but Watchmen was probably the best and most gripping graphic novel i've ever read. I just couldn't put it down. It is amazing. No more can be said.
It's a commonly held notion that Alan Moore was the reason Vertigo was invented. In fact, Alan Moore never wrote anything for Vertigo even though his work on Swamp Thing and the Constantine character he created now fall under that umbrella.

ourchair said:
It's a commonly held notion that Alan Moore was the reason Vertigo was invented. In fact, Alan Moore never wrote anything for Vertigo even though his work on Swamp Thing and the Constantine character he created now fall under that umbrella.

His late work on Swamp Thing carried the Vertigo title...

But yeah, Swamp Thing and The Sandman created Vertigo Comics. Then they started Hellblazer, and Preacher, and Books of Magic sired its own Book. It just kept growing.

Dr.Strangefate said:
His late work on Swamp Thing carried the Vertigo title...
As far as I know, they were originally published under the DC Comics label, and after the Vertigo label was created/purchased they subsequently made all future republishings of his Swamp Thing work carry the Vertigo label.

ourchair said:
Don't forget about V For Vendetta. That was traded under Vertigo.

And honestly, not as much of Hellblazer has been traded as you'd think. Azzarello's run, a good bit of Ennis, and Jamie Dellano's initial 9 issues, but almost everything else is just floating. They haven't even done all of Garths contributions yet. :(

Ultimate Gambit said:
so can someone tell me what the preacher is about?
Easily. Small time Preacher Jessie Custer is giving a sermon one fine sunday morning when a cosmicly powerful entity called only Genisis kills his congregation and merges with his soul. It grants him the ability to speak with the "Word of God", making all who hear him obey. After hooking up with his Ex Girlfriend Tulip and new buddy Cassidy they all go on a trip to hunt down God himself and find out just what the hell he's been thinking these past few millenia. Theres more to it of course, but thats all you need to know going in.

Ultimate Gambit said:
thanks Baxter and this series is completly wrapped up or are they still making issues of it?
Completed. I beleve it ran for something in the niegborhood of 70 issues, all specials and mins included. It's even all traded up from vertigo. 9 volumes, wich are geting fresh printings solicited in previews right now. :wink:

Doot. Anyone who is "marvel-only" should check out Vertigo.

Its where they're hiding some of the best comics out there.

Baxter said:
Don't forget about V For Vendetta. That was traded under Vertigo.

And honestly, not as much of Hellblazer has been traded as you'd think. Azzarello's run, a good bit of Ennis, and Jamie Dellano's initial 9 issues, but almost everything else is just floating. They haven't even done all of Garths contributions yet. :(
As I mentioned above, Swamp Thing and the other titles weren't initially published under the Vertigo label, they only carried the Vertigo label AFTER Vertigo label was formed and they were subsequently republished.

The same holds for V for Vendetta. It was published in the UK-based comic Warrior and then later completed at DC Comics. It was then later made Vertigo.

The point is that Alan Moore is the reason that Vertigo exists. The imprint was spearheaded mostly so that DC could publish the edgy works of Moore and his contemporaries while maintaining outside of the generally PG-13-friendly publishing of mainline DC.

As for Hellblazer, I am aware that it is not as aggressively traded as say, the Ultimate books (then again not many titles within the WHOLE of comicsdom are). But most of what has been traded is the "definitive" stories featuring Constantine. I just felt that Bad Blood was one of those many glaring oversights.

Latest posts

Back