Pros And Cons Of Superhero Movies

I think it's a little presumptuous to try to find one reason, and say that a good superhero movie is about 'staying slavishly faithful' or 'not trying to please everybody' or 'star cast'. There is no ONE way to make a good superhero movie. Hell, there isn't even ONE way to make a profitable superhero movie (good or bad).

With regards to Sin City and the involvement of Frank Miller... (though it's not a superhero movie, but that point is moot) Does anybody sincerely believe that superhero movies would be better if Stan Lee or John Byrne or Mark Waid was involved with Fantastic Four?

On a more future-oriented note, I'm actually feeling relatively optimistic about Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Downey and Norton are hardly my ideal picks for who should play these characters, but if you stop and think, choosing actors who have a very specific and cultivated approach to their careers, is a very good thing.

This was my problem with Fantastic Four: The actors attached to the film have little to no clout or negotiating power to shape the nature of the film. They aren't bad actors, they're just in a position where they can't deliberate with the rest of the crew to make a better film.

Downey and Norton are hardly the most internationally recognized or highest paid names in the business, but they have the reputation in Hollywood to fight to infuse their own performances with some kind of point or purpose, and in that sense I'm kind of glad that the scripts for both films weren't done when they signed on.

I mean, I'd say that the Spider-Man films aren't perfect, but you have to admit that for all the backlash that Maguire and Dunst get for their relatively open disinterest in meeting their contractual obligations, they've made it certain that the scripts have to carry some kind of acting meat in them to sustain their interest, and that puts Ziskin, Curtis & Raimi in a place where they can't just hire some idiot
Don Payne
, I mean hack, to cobble together garbage.

Actors like Alba and McMahon just don't seem visibly interested in arguing to improve the work they're given and although people like Norton and Downey aren't necessarily GUARANTEES that a film will be good, you can bet your money that they won't take scripts that include, "Do you know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning?"

I think it's a little presumptuous to try to find one reason, and say that a good superhero movie is about 'staying slavishly faithful' or 'not trying to please everybody' or 'star cast'. There is no ONE way to make a good superhero movie. Hell, there isn't even ONE way to make a profitable superhero movie (good or bad).

With regards to Sin City and the involvement of Frank Miller... (though it's not a superhero movie, but that point is moot) Does anybody sincerely believe that superhero movies would be better if Stan Lee or John Byrne or Mark Waid was involved with Fantastic Four?

I forgot to ad that point, that it wouldnt work with a comic like spiderman bescause there is just 40 years of stories with tons of different writters. Sin city was all done by Frank Miller so he knows whats best for those characters and those stories

Also good point of Downey and Norton, I think what more movies needs are people to stand up and say no thats stupid

Also good point of Downey and Norton, I think what more movies needs are people to stand up and say no thats stupid
Bill Murray and Christopher Lloyd are supposedly two of the most notoriously difficult actors to work with, but you'd be hard pressed to find a really really really ****ty performance from them, even in the worst of their films.

On a semi-related note, my appraisal of Chris Evans of Fantastic Four is climbing up due to his relatively eclectic choice of films. He hasn't impressed me in anything he's been in, but his career is shaping up to be far different from what you would've expected from a generic hunk-ster type from Not Another Teen Movie.

(He also made me 228,000 dollars on the HSX, totalled from the various times I've bought and sold shares of him.)

Why is it a lot of times they find it neccessary to modify the film from the comic? Besides the fact that a lot of comics or more gruesome or violent than the film the comics are based on?

I suppose if it's any of the cartoony superheroes, they're gonna make it a PG to get families in, which i don't think is a bad idea in theory (just poorly executed).

The most recent james bond film was much more like the books, not at all corny much more violent. But it's completely different to the old james bond films, It's not much of a sit round after a big christmas dinner, with the family sort of film; but still good in it's own right.

But when i watch old superman films they're still pretty good even though the graphics aren't good. To be honest apart from doc-ock, I haven't enjoyed either spidey film..just too power ranger-ey. Why can't they make PG films that adults can enjoy anymore..

..oh yeah I loved incredibles too, i have a poster of that in my room..it was GREAT. I much prefer when people make films like that which are influenced by things like the watchmen or fantastic four, rather than remake them exactly, cuz the books are ALWAYS better. There have been really good films based on books e.g. one flew over the cuckoo's nest, the shining, godfather trilogy. But die-hard fans always prefer the book. Yes I'm really looking forward to the Watchman film cuz it could be really really good...but probably not as good as the comic...and what's worse if people watch it and it's rubbish, it puts them off reading it and kinda spoils it a bit as well.

The PROS:

- Things like flying and web-swinging become a billion times cooler.

- Convoluted rubbish, sidekicks and silly costumes are more often than not thrown out in favour of a more serious incarnation that can be enjoyed by not only comic-book geeks but the regular moviegoers as well.

- Comic-books and superheroes are made cool again.

- I get to keep my sanity.

The CONS:

- One man's 'convoluted rubbish' and 'silly costume' is another man's goldust.

- With certain Universes (*cough* Marvel *cough*), because all of the characters are owned by different companies, you lose one of the things that makes the 'Marvel Universe' so much fun (like the Kingpin being enemies with multiple different heroes, the Daily Bugle being the newspaper read in every Marvel comic, etc.).

- With the exception of Liam Neeson, I think we have yet to find an actor playing a comic-book villain who is truly taking the proceedings seriously.

- Unless every superhero film becomes as gritty and realistic as Batman Begins (and I'm not saying I want that to happen), people really aren't ever going to treat superhero flicks as anything other than popcorn fun.

The only point I'd have to squabble with you about is the idea that the other villains weren't taking it seriously... but the only other person I think that really captured the role was Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn (if you ignore the idiotic costume :p ).

Liam Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul ftw.

The only point I'd have to squabble with you about is the idea that the other villains weren't taking it seriously... but the only other person I think that really captured the role was Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn (if you ignore the idiotic costume :p ).

Liam Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul ftw.

And Doc Ock. Plus sandman seems to in interviews at least.

Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina were exactly whom I was referring to when I was talking about actors not taking it seriously. There are ways of being maniacal without being hammy, and Dafoe wasn't that. Molina was just plain cheesy throughout.

Last edited:
I agree about Molina (to an extent), but not so much with Dafoe...

But neither can hold a candle to Neeson.

I agree about Molina, but that was just how the part was written. I still think he was the perfect choice.

Dafoe? He played that part perfectly, because the hamminess was crucial for the character to work. He could've just been another manical psycho, but having him act the way he did made him fun, fascinating, and all around just perfect in the role.

On top of that, two things that prove he knew exactly what he was doing and was fully commited to the part. One, the way he played Norman, and two, the fact that he insisted on doing all his own stunts, learning how to use the Glider, etc. That's commitment.

Also, Gothamite, when you say no one but Liam Neeson, I'm assuming you genuinely forgot Sir Ian McKellen?

Ian McKellan was good in the first X-Men, GREAT in X2, and didn't have his heart in it for X-Men 3.

Top Five Comic Book Movie Villains
1. Liam Neeson - Ra's Al Ghul
2. Ian McKellan - Magneto
3. Willem Dafoe - Norman Osborn
4. Collin Ferral - Bullseye
5. Cillian Murphy - Scarecrow

Ian McKellan was good in the first X-Men, GREAT in X2, and didn't have his heart in it for X-Men 3.

I agree with this list

I would change list to

3. Michael Clarke Duncan - Kingpin
4. Willem Dafoe - Norman Osborn
5. Terence Stamp - General Zod

I'm inclined to agree with this, but I would also be inclined to include Jack Nicholson or Kevin Spacey in here somewhere. Dead right about Ian McKellen's conviction in the films.

Sorry for not including him, Planet.

I would say that a huge con of superhero movies is the fact that sometimes..the actors sent to portray heros or villains...is not always good.I thought Willem Dafoe,was a average Norman Osborne.I thought Liam Neeson was a good Ra`s Al Ghul,Christan Bale and Tobey Maguire were good actors for Batman and Spider-Man.

Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst was the worst casting in superhero movies.

Molina played a fantastic Ock. I didn't care for Ock until his performance.

1 - Ra Al Gul - Liam Neeson
2 - Doctor Octopus - Alfred Molina
3 - Scarecrow - Cillian Murphy
4 - Lex Luthor - Kevin Spacey
5 - Magneto - Ian McKellan

Since when did this thread go from 'pros and cons of superhero movies' to 'ranking the movie villains an heroes'?

Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst was the worst casting in superhero movies.

Not a ****ing chance. Tobey is perfect as Peter, and I've never had a problem with Kirsten. She was especially good in Spidey 3.

SR had the worst casting of any of the superhero films. Routh and Huntington were perfect, but Bosworth was just awful, Langella(although a good actor) is NOT Perry, and Kevin Spacey was..... questionable.

Tobey takes the common man element out of Peter Parker, and turns him into a "oh, woe is me" character who doesn't pop jokes when he's bouncing around the city... I have hated the casting of tobey maguire since the first spider-man movie.

And I'm not even going to touch your defense of Dunst, but in the future, I hope they cast people who give a damn about the characters.

Latest posts

Back