Pros And Cons Of Superhero Movies

I swear to god...next to Famke Jansen as Jean Grey, I think Dunst as MJ was some of the worst casting....ever.

I mean in the movies, she's not the ballsy chick from the comics, she's just the whiny little tart. Dunst has a whopping two facial expressions and has an acting range that makes Kristen Kruek look like an oscar winning actress.

Seriously, I'd rather have had Laura Prepon as MJ, at least she can play a character with range.

I swear to god...next to Famke Jansen as Jean Grey, I think Dunst as MJ was some of the worst casting....ever.

I mean in the movies, she's not the ballsy chick from the comics, she's just the whiny little tart. Dunst has a whopping two facial expressions and has an acting range that makes Kristen Kruek look like an oscar winning actress.

Seriously, I'd rather have had Laura Prepon as MJ, at least she can play a character with range.

God I wanna marry you....................................or at least have you do painful things to me.

I'm still of the utmost belief that they should've gotten Alicia Witt to play MJ (at the time anyways).

I have no clue as to why Hollywood thinks Dunst can act. I mean lets face it.....other than "Interview With A Vampire" and "Virgin Suicides" has she done anything that can be called real acting? Seriously.

And why does America think she's hot? As a red-blooded hetero American male----I am completely confused as to why people in my demographic think she's hot? I'm not trying to get off topic here but damn?!?!?!

Gothamite said:
That's just it. He's not an everyman at all, even if you say that he's 'geeky'. He has NO money, NO backbone and he nearly wets himself when girls even LOOK at him.

Spidey 3 was the first time that he even slightly resembled an 'everyman'. In the other films, he was just a hopeless case.

Yep.

God I wanna marry you....................................or at least have you do painful things to me.

LOL!! Oh Doom...You make me giggle.

Yeah Alicia Witt would have worked well too.

If I had my dream, they'd reboot X-Men and have Laura Prepon as Jean Grey.

but that would delay the Wolverine movie. How could you!!!!:lol:

Nah, cus I really like Jackman as Wolverine, plus with a reboot, I'd want it to be pre-Giant Sized X-Men #1 team.

Nah, cus I really like Jackman as Wolverine, plus with a reboot, I'd want it to be pre-Giant Sized X-Men #1 team.

I know I was kidding.

After the hulk film and Wolverine film. I think marvel should do a Wolverine vs Hulk movie

I'm getting really sick of modern creators killing the MJ that I grew up with. I fell in love with Mary Jane Watson when I was 6 years old and read my first issue of Amazing Spider-man. Since then, writers have just been raping her into submission. She should not be the irritating, selfish, emotional wreck that she is in Ultimate Spider-man and the Spider-man movies. I want my MJ back. Because Bendis and Kirsten Dunst have had just about enough of her.

I'm getting really sick of modern creators killing the MJ that I grew up with. I fell in love with Mary Jane Watson when I was 6 years old and read my first issue of Amazing Spider-man. Since then, writers have just been raping her into submission. She should not be the irritating, selfish, emotional wreck that she is in Ultimate Spider-man and the Spider-man movies. I want my MJ back. Because Bendis and Kirsten Dunst have had just about enough of her.

Exactly!

Granted, I'm an old lady, so I remember her through those Silver Age Rose Goggles™, but seriously, what happened to the MJ I grew up with. Y'know, the fun, independent, and most of all strong young woman. That's one of the reasons why I just can't get into the Ultimate universe, none of the characters have the heart their 616 counterparts have (okay, in most cases had).

Did you read the Sensational annual? I think you would like it.

That's just it. He's not an everyman at all, even if you say that he's 'geeky'. He has NO money, NO backbone and he nearly wets himself when girls even LOOK at him.

How does having no money make him not an everyman? Most college students living on their own in Manhattan have no money! Top that off with the fact that he can't hold down a job because he has to save lives instead... and it just works perfectly. Everyman who's in over his head and has no one he can go to for help.

No backbone? He's ****ing Spider-Man! What more do you need?

And the girls thing just isn't true. He talks to MJ and takes her picture in the lab, he has that big conversation with her in his backyard, and opens his whole heart to her in the hospital scene. I just don't get why you always say this. It's like you're inferring his whole persona from that one "just get contacts" moment.... which had more to do with the amazement at his own reflexes than anything, really.

How does having no money make him not an everyman?

Clearly we have a different view of what an 'everyman' is. When I think of an Everyman, I think of someone who isn't in any financial difficulty, but isn't loaded either.

No backbone? He's ****ing Spider-Man! What more do you need?

A backbone for things like standing up to people when they slap you in the face. A backbone for everyday things.

And the girls thing just isn't true. He talks to MJ and takes her picture in the lab, he has that big conversation with her in his backyard, and opens his whole heart to her in the hospital scene.

Those 'big conversations' in the backyard and in the hospital scene make me want to kick him in the groin. THOSE scenes (and similar scenes in the second movie) are the large parts of the reason that I think the first two movies are over-rated.

I just don't get why you always say this. It's like you're inferring his whole persona from that one "just get contacts" moment.... which had more to do with the amazement at his own reflexes than anything, really.

...and the scene in the backyard and the hospital, the scene where he tries to 'pick things up from where we left off', the attempted apology to MJ on the payphone and several others that I can't think of from the top of my head.

You know what bothers me about super-hero movies? The racoon eyes under the masks. Like when they black circles painted under their eyes so it looks like their mask goes all the way to the eyeball. I hate that. It looks cheesy and when they rip off their mask (ala Batman Returns), the circles are magically not there! Stupid.

You know what bothers me about super-hero movies? The racoon eyes under the masks. Like when they black circles painted under their eyes so it looks like their mask goes all the way to the eyeball. I hate that. It looks cheesy and when they rip off their mask (ala Batman Returns), the circles are magically not there! Stupid.

Would you rather their mask squint? :lol:

Clearly we have a different view of what an 'everyman' is. When I think of an Everyman, I think of someone who isn't in any financial difficulty, but isn't loaded either.

Most Manhattan college students who live on their own are in almost as bad a financial state he is. He has to be a bit poorer because he's losing so much job time being Spider-Man!

Sorry, but what your describing would be completely unrealistic for someone like him.

A backbone for things like standing up to people when they slap you in the face. A backbone for everyday things.

I don't get this.... he shows the same level of backbone he shows in the cartoon or comics, which is a normal one. What else would you like to see him do?

Those 'big conversations' in the backyard and in the hospital scene make me want to kick him in the groin. THOSE scenes (and similar scenes in the second movie) are the large parts of the reason that I think the first two movies are over-rated.

But they're perfect examples of him being charming and normal around women. Which is what you said didn't exist. Which is what I'm responding to.
:sure:

Last edited:
Also about the Everyman thing. Stan lee said on one of the dvds I got something like "I always liked to give peter as many problems as possible. I always thought the problem was I couldn't give him enough"

So from a movie stand point which is the more realistic he keeps the spirit of giving him problems with out too many it''s unrealistic.

Everyman to mean means someone like peter beacuse I guarantee everyone here has had problems before now with work , opposite sex (or same if you're in to that) , money , family members been sick or hurt or deaded.

If the average joe got powers i think they would be like spider-man (assuming they wanted to use power for good)

A major con of movies,is that for the most part.People will not agree on what a good actor is for a movie,some may like a hero played by an actor.Or a actress playing a supporting character,the choices could be done well(Spider-Man) or not so good(Superman Returns).In the end,its up to the people who actually see the movie to decide.

A major con of movies,is that for the most part.People will not agree on what a good actor is for a movie,some may like a hero played by an actor.Or a actress playing a supporting character,the choices could be done well(Spider-Man) or not so good(Superman Returns).In the end,its up to the people who actually see the movie to decide.
That's a problem with ANY kind of adaptation, but I don't think it's the deciding factor of whether or not a film is critically and/or financially successful.

I'm inclined to think that people felt more motivated to find fault with the actors in Superman Returns (or any other superhero movie they disliked), simply because they disliked the movie, regardless of whether or not the actors were a terrible fit.

Take for example Hulk. Sure, Connelly and Bana were so understated and pensive in their performances compared to a more lively cast, but it didn't help that they were given a relatively sedately paced film to perform in to begin with, which only enhanced those acting qualities to the point of being sleep-inducing.

Superman Returns had a decent cast --- my personal reservations against Bosworth notwithstanding --- but it was a **** movie, unfortunately, making their efforts pointless.

I just noticed something with the release of Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2 aka Fantastic Four:Rise Of The Silver Surfer.Both movies are not going to be released in the USA.SM3 was released in Tokyo,and FF2 is scheduled to be released in London.

Why are the movies not released in America?Does the comic industry rely on worldwide profits that much?

I just noticed something with the release of Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2 aka Fantastic Four:Rise Of The Silver Surfer.Both movies are not going to be released in the USA.SM3 was released in Tokyo,and FF2 is scheduled to be released in London.

Why are the movies not released in America?Does the comic industry rely on worldwide profits that much?

They are...?

Latest posts

Back