Pros And Cons Of Superhero Movies

I like Tobey as Peter Parker. Much better than Franco would've been (who first tried out for the Peter Parker/Spider-Man role).

I like Tobey as Peter Parker. Much better than Franco would've been (who first tried out for the Peter Parker/Spider-Man role).

I do too, the only problem with big screen Peter is that they kept him in the quiet nobody Parker too long. Sure Peter started like that but quickly became the more confident, joke cracking Peter we all know. That's my only problem

Tobey played a decent Peter but a horrible Spider-Man.

Agreed. I think Peter is like a shy dork and Spider-Man is like an enthusiastic geek. Tobey mumbles too much to get Spidey right.

I would of greed with you until I rewatched the first 2. He was not a horrible Spider-man just reading the script for a bad spider-man.

Let me explain. Had he of kept like he was when he was wrestling he would of been perfect. Stopping in middle of match to say "that's a cute outfit did your husband make it for you" was perfect.

Besides one line in spider-man 2 at the bank "here's your change" it was the scripts fault he was bad.

Had they kept him just like was when wrestling only changed the costume he would of perfect.

Tobey takes the common man element out of Peter Parker, and turns him into a "oh, woe is me" character who doesn't pop jokes when he's bouncing around the city... I have hated the casting of tobey maguire since the first spider-man movie.

He was popping them left and right in the first film, and even to some degree in the second.

After that, the stakes just got too high for it to be believable. Corny one-liners during scenes as epic and painful as the L-train in Spidey 2 would've been ridiculously out-of-place and mainstream audiences and critics would've torn it apart.

He cracks them when it's believable, the movies work a LOT better for it.

And finally, this has jack **** to do with Tobey. Actor # Screenplay.

And I'm not even going to touch your defense of Dunst, but in the future, I hope they cast people who give a damn about the characters.

Have you heard Christian Bale talk about how silly he thinks Batman is in general?

The biggest damn not being given here is mine about how the actors think in real life. It doesn't matter at all if their performance is good. And IMO, Kirsten's really was.

Tobey takes the common man element out of Peter Parker, and turns him into a "oh, woe is me" character who doesn't pop jokes when he's bouncing around the city... I have hated the casting of tobey maguire since the first spider-man movie.

I'm really starting to like these boards...

He was popping them left and right in the first film, and even to some degree in the second.

Hang on, hold on a second here, sorry what?

When did he ever pop a wisecrack in the first film other than the forced "Did your husband make it for you?" and "It's you who's out, Gobby..." (I can't even type the rest)? Seriously, I actually don't remember anything beyond those two crappy wise-cracks.

The second film had the fairly decent "You forgot your change!" but other than that, there wasn't really much of anything.

The third one had some decent wisecracks and overall, Pete was more like the Spidey from the comics, but still not enough, in my opinion.

Hang on, hold on a second here, sorry what?

When did he ever pop a wisecrack in the first film other than the forced "Did your husband make it for you?" and "It's you who's out, Gobby..." (I can't even type the rest)? Seriously, I actually don't remember anything beyond those two crappy wise-cracks.

"Sure beats takin' the subway!"
"Set 'im down, tough guy. I wear the tights in this town"
"Hey kiddo, let mom and dad talk for a minute"

All kinds of stuff like that. How much more did you want? Keep in mind that puns in superhero films were tainted by Batman & Robin. Any more and I guarantee you the film would start to get some flack.

Corny one-liners during scenes as epic and painful as the L-train in Spidey 2 would've been ridiculously out-of-place and mainstream audiences and critics would've torn it apart.

That sequence was pretty much the worst part of any of the movies.... The fight was good, but the cheesy bit in the subway... painful to watch.

And Furthermore... Actors follow the screenplay, sure, and yeah the dialogue was lacking here and there, but Tobey has never given spidey the right personality, and that is NOT something from the script.

"Sure beats takin' the subway!"
"Set 'im down, tough guy. I wear the tights in this town"
"Hey kiddo, let mom and dad talk for a minute"

All kinds of stuff like that. How much more did you want? Keep in mind that puns in superhero films were tainted by Batman & Robin. Any more and I guarantee you the film would start to get some flack.

Yeah.

I agree. I wouldn't mind a few more though like during goblin fight.

The fact still remains that Tobey and Kirsten were miscast from the mother****in' giddy-up.

Tobey might embody the geeky Peter Parker.....but he just doesn't have the presence to portray the hero side of him.

Kirsten..................oh I don't know where to begin with that snaggle-toothed zombie. Seriously....I've seen cadavers with more skin color.

I like Dunst elsewhere... Im one of fifteen people in the country who liked Marie Antoinette, and she was fantastic in Drop Dead Gorgeous...

She's just... Not MJ.

I still blame most of the M.J problems and Spider-man ones on the script not the actors.

Had Kirsten been given a more M.J script she would of nailed it

same with Tobey. Listen to his delivery of catch phrases in voice over on game. It works. E.g spider-man 3. Lizard gets electrocuted he says "SHOCKING I didn't think of that earlier"

had they of been given a script with more of the spider-man characters in it they would of worked.

That sequence was pretty much the worst part of any of the movies.... The fight was good, but the cheesy bit in the subway... painful to watch.

You're just changing the subject.

And Furthermore... Actors follow the screenplay, sure, and yeah the dialogue was lacking here and there, but Tobey has never given spidey the right personality, and that is NOT something from the script.

Well that's a whole different story than what you were saying about the one-liners. Even so.... I still just disagree. I've thought he was great from the get-go.

Tobey might embody the geeky Peter Parker.....but he just doesn't have the presence to portray the hero side of him.

That's precisely why he works for me. He's a geeky everyman from Queens who's in WAY over his head, but still manages to tough it the **** out. Heroism isn't some imaginary posture or air. It's exactly what he's doing, and what he's giving up to do it. I think the character was writen terrifically, and Tobey fit him like a glove.

Kirsten..................oh I don't know where to begin with that snaggle-toothed zombie. Seriously....I've seen cadavers with more skin color.

Well, she's definitely not snaggle-toothed.:roll: And you never like the pale chicks.

He's a geeky everyman from Queens...

That's just it. He's not an everyman at all, even if you say that he's 'geeky'. He has NO money, NO backbone and he nearly wets himself when girls even LOOK at him.

Spidey 3 was the first time that he even slightly resembled an 'everyman'. In the other films, he was just a hopeless case.

Latest posts

Back