I just read the whole run in the past couple of days. I really really enjoyed it, but I was pretty confused by the end.

So, during the Cold War, Leonardo DaVinci pulled together 11 of the world's top spies (why? I have no clue) and formed a secret group that went around discovering ancient and cosmic secrets until the people from Leviathan betrayed them. But, on one of the missions, Nick Fury, Jake Fury, and "Il Professore" aka Thomas Davidson found the first ever Life Model Decoy in a catacomb. That LMD attacked Jake Fury and Davidson and replicated them. Those copies then went crazy. The Davidson LMD defected from SHIELD to Hydra and then was killed by Strucker. The Jake Fury LMD went rogue and eventually killed himself. Now here's my question: did the ancient LMD they found kill Jake and Davidson? It looked like it killed them. Is the Jake Fury that was posing as Kraken the actual Jake Fury, or is he another LMD? Is Davidson still alive somewhere? And if the Davidson and Jake Fury that died were LMDs why did no one notice once they were dead? Every other LMD that gets shot spills out oil and wires.

And also, what the heck was the point of this whole thing? The whole time you think Nick is trying to take down Hydra b/c he found out he had been working for them for years, but you find out at the end that the opposite was true. So did Fury start a war with Hydra simply so he could kill Strucker, take down Leviathan, which had been dormant for years anyway, get the UN to restart SHIELD with Daisy running them, and retire? In the process he got the Howling Commandos wiped out, lost an entire field team, including his son, and Seattle was blown up.

And on top of that, if he knew JT was selling them out, why did he go to Gehenna? It was clearly going to be a trap. Why didn't he change plans, feed JT incorrect info, then after it was all over, confront and/or kill JT. Alex/Phobos died b/c Fury knowingly led his team into a trap.

So yeah, Any help?

Bendis Deus Ex Writing at its finest?

Seriously though, you bring up some good points. The premise of Fury working for Hydra all along and trying everything to get out from them and end it once and for all is abandoned for a "I'm Nick Fury and I know everything" badass moment at the last minute. It falls false.

As for DaVinci collecting all the spies for secret missions also comes outta nowhere and goes nowhere. I mean it did tie-in those voice override codes everyone was using earlier...but other than that what was the point?

Bendis Deus Ex Writing at its finest?

Except it was Hickman...

Seriously though, you bring up some good points. The premise of Fury working for Hydra all along and trying everything to get out from them and end it once and for all is abandoned for a "I'm Nick Fury and I know everything" badass moment at the last minute. It falls false.

Yes, exactly.

As for DaVinci collecting all the spies for secret missions also comes outta nowhere and goes nowhere. I mean it did tie-in those voice override codes everyone was using earlier...but other than that what was the point?
I guess it also ties into Hickman's SHIELD mini, which I haven't read. But I hear it's good.

I guess it also ties into Hickman's SHIELD mini, which I haven't read. But I hear it's good.

I think you're right, and yes - it is VERY good. It takes it a little while to come together but once it does it blows your mind.

Except it was Hickman...

Yes, exactly.

Well yeah...it was Hickman. Just joking about taking a page from Bendis' playbook....

Hickman's SHIELD mini was VERY good...but I don't think it tied anything into Secret Warriors. If anything, after reading it, all I got from it was the location of the secret meeting place and who DaVinci was without him actually saying so.

Well yeah...it was Hickman. Just joking about taking a page from Bendis' playbook....

Hickman's SHIELD mini was VERY good...but I don't think it tied anything into Secret Warriors. If anything, after reading it, all I got from it was the location of the secret meeting place and who DaVinci was without him actually saying so.

I think he's saying that it references SHIELD more than ties together. It wasn't really a back and forth thing.

As for Bendis, he actually plotted or co-wrote the first arc (or two) of Secret Warriors so you aren't wrong.

And just to make sure I understand this correctly... after this series Nick Fury retires and his secret black son loses an eye, joins SHIELD (along with his friend Phil Coulson), and changes his name to Nick Fury?

Latest posts

Back