Re: Sherlock Holmes (News)

I have either just seen the trailer to the next INDIANA JONES or WILD WILD WEST...

Exactly what I thought. I said to my friend afterwards how surprising it is that the same audiences who branded Wild Wild West one of the worst movies ever made seemed pretty big on a trailer in which every. Single. Scene. Looked like it was taken straight out of that very film.

And I loved Wild Wild West when it came out because it was incredibly fun. But I'll likely be pissed if this is just the same thing, but popular because Guy Ritchie is cool and RDj's in it.

Actually he's always been. One of the key aspects of Holmes as I recall is that he strives to be very well rounded, not just his mind but body as well. So he knows how to take care of himself in a fight

Yeah, evidently he knew how to fight gentlemanly style.

But Watson was more of the fighter, considering he was a ex military medicine dude. And he was not the bubbling idiot people made him out to be.

This is making me want to read the books.

In other strange thoughts, I realized that House MD is a modern retelling of Holmes. Both were drug addicts, both were super intelligent, both liked riddles, both don't believe in miracles/supernatural, and both were jackasses.

Come to think of it, Wilson and Watson are also extremely similar, though in name and sidekick status only.

Yeah, evidently he knew how to fight gentlemanly style.

But Watson was more of the fighter, considering he was a ex military medicine dude. And he was not the bubbling idiot people made him out to be.

This is making me want to read the books.
A while ago I was going to read them but never got around to it
In other strange thoughts, I realized that House MD is a modern retelling of Holmes. Both were drug addicts, both were super intelligent, both liked riddles, both don't believe in miracles/supernatural, and both were jackasses.

Come to think of it, Wilson and Watson are also extremely similar, though in name and sidekick status only.
I never notice that. Though House is too much of a jerk. I like how they used RDJ because he can pull that off and be much more likable.

In the books, evidently Holmes is a complete jerk to people, not likable at all.

Hmm, I've always seen him as arrogant but doesn't go out of his way to annoy and frustrate people like House. Still Downey can pull that off

The House = Holmes and Wilson = Watson thing is intentional.

Sherlock Holmes should be a British comedy with Hugh Laurie as Holmes and Stephen Fry as Watson. And Rowan Atkinson as Moriarty or something.

Sherlock Holmes should be a British comedy with Hugh Laurie as Holmes and Stephen Fry as Watson. And Rowan Atkinson as Moriarty or something.

That would be AWESOME.

The trailer looks like it would be a fun film...if it wasn't supposed to be Sherlock Holmes? I know it's a reboot, but it just looks like a wacky Guy Ritchie period film whose characters coincidentally have names from the Sherlock Holmes-i-verse. Nothing indicative of any perception i've ever had about any of the stories. Then again, I've never actually read any, so..

By the way, I hereby dub this film -

"Wild Wild West End".

This movie is a hell of a lot better than it probably deserved to be.

The cast is fantastic! Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes is great! Jude Law's Watson is great! Rachel McAdams' Irene is great! Mark Strong's Blackwood is great! And that guy who is a background guy in everything's Lestrade was great!

I got really excited at the end because I thought that rumour about
Brad Pitt playing Moriarty
was going to be true. Maybe for the sequel!

And I shall definitely see a sequel.

I almost fell asleep during this movie, it was way too long for a plot lacking any real mystery. Also, at one point Holmes and Irene runs towards an explosion and then seem surprised when they get knocked back.

Also, at one point Holmes and Irene runs towards an explosion and then seem surprised when they get knocked back.

I presumed they thought the explosions were going to continue along and decided to run back the opposite way.

I thought this was awesome. It was badass how
he broke down the entire fight before it even happened .... I liked how he did stuff like that in the movie, it really showed it from his point of view.

I thought the plot had some fine mystery. The mystery was more about how these things occurred since we didn't believe the magic aspect and neither did Holmes. It wasn't so much a whodunnit as a howdunnit. I liked that it was a studio film that Ritchie was still able to sneak some of his signature directing tricks into. I thought it was very good.

My wife and I saw this yesterday because we couldn't get into Avatar. We both really liked it. I agree with Proj that the casting was really good.

I thought this was awesome. It was badass how
he broke down the entire fight before it even happened .... I liked how he did stuff like that in the movie, it really showed it from his point of view.

Yes. Very Guy Ritchie-esque.

Funny thing is that I had completely forgotten that Ritchie directed it until the credits at the end, and then I realized how much of a Guy Ritchie movie it is.

Just got home from seeing it with two of my friends. We all enjoyed it. Also liked how Moriarty was never shown, always kept in the dark. It was well done.

Totally unrelated to the movie, but if anyone's in London, check out the Sherlock Holmes museum, located in the exact address of his house in the book. It's done up to be exactly like his house, based on every minute detail of the books and it is eight kinds of awesome. I had never even read a Holmes book before going to the museum and it was still the coolest thing, ever.

Latest posts

Back