Should Peter become a psuedo-X-Man?

Should Peter become a psuedo-X-Man?

• Yes, he should move in.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • No, but he should hang out at the mansion.

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • No, keep your X-Men out of my Spider-Man!

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I agree that it's nice not to have the whole X-cast in USM and I won't take your bet about Kitty becoming a regular cast member because I think she will. However I have to disagree about Kitty appearing regularly being a bad thing.
I think it would be great. I understand your trepidation as a fellow MJ fan( If MJ appears in a comic I probably own it) as it has been a pretty bad year for the character in all universes(even in her own book!) and with her being "demogoblinized" in USM 101, things currently look pretty grim, but fear not.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's not Kitty coming to USM that bothers me so much, as the fact she will get special treatment, and won't be a regular supporting character. She'd never get Goblinized, or whatever, because she is such a boost to sales. And I am afriad it will take the emphasis off Peter and his own cast.
MJ will most likely be cured in the next arc, which will also lead to Harry Osborn being cured and resuming his place as a USM regular. Harry is a favorite of mine and I enjoy the dynamic he has with Peter (Close frinds with an edge).The Kitty and MJ dynamic will probably be similar as they are alike in many ways so that they can have a close friendship, yet also rivals for Peter's attention. Harry and MJ will become close again due to their shared experiences, which will probably eat at Peter:) (I always felt that Harry makes the perfect rival for Peter concerning MJ) In the end you will have four close friends and one big emotional mess!
I truly hope as well, that Death of the Goblin, is the cure to the Oz formula. And Harry comes back. We haven't seen much of the supporting cast this last year, ( another reason why I dislike Kitty so much, all we get are team-ups )
and I agree that Kitty and MJ could make a good dynamic, but I don't want to see MJ get her heart broken fifteen different ways watching Peter slowly fall for Kitty. I empathize greatly with MJ, and this last year has been torture. MJ deserves, loves and needs Peter alot more than Kitty does, and my greatest fear is having to watch my favorite character be forced into friend mode, while a newcomer makes time with her guy. That's a major beef for me: why does MJ have to move aside for Kitty?

Last edited:
I really don't think we need to worry about Kitty at all. In UXM 76 she basically said that the reason for her leaving the Xavier institute is to get away from the whole fighting the "villain of the week" thing. This makes total sense since she feels that for her and Peter's relationship to grow they need to spend more time as a couple rather than fighting villains all the time (deadpool arc). I expect when she leaves there will have to be a press release stating her desire to be a normal teenager ( she will probably have a public break up with spidey also) so when she arrives as a regular cast member in USM it will be more so as a student so that she can be with Peter. This will lead to her interacting with flash, kong, MJ, Harry, and liz(that should be interesting) more so than helping Spider-man. Since Kitty does like to help Peter as Spider-man she will become frustrated that she can't and probably pressure him into making his identity public.
That's a major beef for me: why does MJ have to move aside for Kitty?
I don't think she will be moving aside for Kitty. I think she'll get as much book time as Kitty. After her transformation she'll probably want some space from Peter to clear her head and spend more time with Harry, who can relate. It's about time for Peter to experience some of what he put MJ through!
Finally, while we always hear about the ol' Parker luck, i think it's time we recognize the ol' Watson luck. No matter how beautiful, popular, and kind hearted she is she'll always have relationship issues.

I really don't think we need to worry about Kitty at all. In UXM 76 she basically said that the reason for her leaving the Xavier institute is to get away from the whole fighting the "villain of the week" thing. This makes total sense since she feels that for her and Peter's relationship to grow they need to spend more time as a couple rather than fighting villains all the time (deadpool arc). I expect when she leaves there will have to be a press release stating her desire to be a normal teenager ( she will probably have a public break up with spidey also) so when she arrives as a regular cast member in USM it will be more so as a student so that she can be with Peter.
She's still going to arise suspicion if she shows up at Midtown High, I mean Spidey's been sighted there alot, and it bothers Peter very much. ( From Morbius part 1 )
This will lead to her interacting with flash, kong, MJ, Harry, and liz(that should be interesting) more so than helping Spider-man. Since Kitty does like to help Peter as Spider-man she will become frustrated that she can't and probably pressure him into making his identity public.
And that will be the eventual death of their relationship. They met and almost all of their interacting so far involves superhero-ing. If that is removed, what do they have? Nothing that MJ doesn't outshine Kitty tenfold in. ( Seriously, after that speech from MJ in 65 about making a difference, Kitty is up against the impossible. )
Also, Peter is all about the "great-power, great responsibility" thing, what kind of a person would that make Kitty in his eyes, if she rejects the ability to do the right thing, when she has the means? MJ doesn't have the means, yet she had done what she could. Kitty would be voluntarily copping out, and it's out of character for her too. ( in both USM and UXM. )
I don't think she will be moving aside for Kitty. I think she'll get as much book time as Kitty. After her transformation she'll probably want some space from Peter to clear her head and spend more time with Harry, who can relate. It's about time for Peter to experience some of what he put MJ through!
Finally, while we always hear about the ol' Parker luck, i think it's time we recognize the ol' Watson luck. No matter how beautiful, popular, and kind hearted she is she'll always have relationship issues.
I agree, some sick twisted womanly urge makes me want to see Peter suffer the way she has. To even be replaced the way she was. As someone who had her heart broken at 16, I know exactly how MJ has felt, Peter has no idea how much he has hurt her.
I've never really liked the idea of Harry, the thing in Hobgoblin felt forced. I really would never have gotten that from the first issues. I'm agreeing about MJ needing some space too, I just don't want to see Kitty replace her.
Anyways, thanks for your patience in debating with me, nice to know I am not alone in supporting MJ!

She's still going to arise suspicion if she shows up at Midtown High, I mean Spidey's been sighted there alot, and it bothers Peter very much. ( From Morbius part 1 )

Yep. She will need to blend in as quickly as possible and I would expect kong will be on her about the whole Spidey thing.

And that will be the eventual death of their relationship. They met and almost all of their interacting so far involves superhero-ing. If that is removed, what do they have? Nothing that MJ doesn't outshine Kitty tenfold in. ( Seriously, after that speech from MJ in 65 about making a difference, Kitty is up against the impossible. )

You are really preaching to the choir on this. I completely agree that his relationship with Kitty is doomed at the end. She doesn't stand a chance against MJ. It's this doomed aspect that makes hope for their relationship to continue. Peter needs to suffer more.
I agree, some sick twisted womanly urge makes me want to see Peter suffer the way she has. To even be replaced the way she was. As someone who had her heart broken at 16, I know exactly how MJ has felt, Peter has no idea how much he has hurt her.

Seeing someone who hurt your feelings receive their comeuppance isn't just a womanly urge it's a human one. I have felt the same way at times.

I've never really liked the idea of Harry, the thing in Hobgoblin felt forced. I really would never have gotten that from the first issues. I'm agreeing about MJ needing some space too, I just don't want to see Kitty replace her.

Yes the Hobgoblin arc did feel a little forced, but MJ's backstory had not been broached before then, well not in any real detail anyway. Maybe I'm channeling too much of Harry's character from SPloMJ.

Anyways, thanks for your patience in debating with me, nice to know I am not alone in supporting MJ!

No problem, always fun.:)

Yep. She will need to blend in as quickly as possible and I would expect kong will be on her about the whole Spidey thing.
That's another thing..I don't want to see the perpetual "OMG!! It's Kitty freaking Pryde!!" from the characters and the fans, it irritates me greatly, because she is liked because she is Kitty Pryde, not because she is anything special. She hasn't earned my affection yet, unlike MJ has repeatedly. Half the fans, and it seems Peter himself are starstruck. But could that be something Bendis is counting on?
You are really preaching to the choir on this. I completely agree that his relationship with Kitty is doomed at the end. She doesn't stand a chance against MJ. It's this doomed aspect that makes hope for their relationship to continue. Peter needs to suffer more.
True. If nothing else, I hope it makes for a beatiful re-union at a later date, when Peter finally wakes up, and wins MJ back. That issue in Irresponsible is among my favorite.
Seeing someone who hurt your feelings receive their comeuppance isn't just a womanly urge it's a human one. I have felt the same way at times.
True as well. I guess I just pick up on MJ's feelings too much, because I am a girl. I can't relate to Peter.
Yes the Hobgoblin arc did feel a little forced, but MJ's backstory had not been broached before then, well not in any real detail anyway. Maybe I'm channeling too much of Harry's character from SPloMJ.
There is cause to have pity on Harry, he seems underneath to be a decent guy. It must have taken so much from him to do what he did to his Dad in Legacy, and then in Ultimate Six. It would be supremely awesome to see him restored, along with MJ. I liked Gwen, but they have messed with her so much, I hope for her sake, she is dead and at peace. Unless it'll be something great.
No problem, always fun.:)
It's always nice to have a grown-up debate with no yelling, mocking etc.
You are however making far too much sense, you wouldn't happen to be a secret agent of Bendis or Marvel would you? :wink:

It's always nice to have a grown-up debate with no yelling, mocking etc.
You are however making far too much sense, you wouldn't happen to be a secret agent of Bendis or Marvel would you?

[snort]
I wish! I would love to write for Marvel. In truth it took me nearly three weeks to calm down enough after reading USM 101 to post a coherent thought:evil:
As for Bendis, I am only a fan of his writing in Daredevil and USM.
I enjoy reading USM so sooner or later I eventually try to come up with an optimistic spin on things to cheer myself up when things look bad:)
I am eagerly awaiting....yet dreading... the arrival of USM 102.
And god help me, I love that feeling.:)

[snort]
I wish! I would love to write for Marvel. In truth it took me nearly three weeks to calm down enough after reading USM 101 to post a coherent thought:evil:
As for Bendis, I am only a fan of his writing in Daredevil and USM.
I enjoy reading USM so sooner or later I eventually try to come up with an optimistic spin on things to cheer myself up when things look bad:)
I am eagerly awaiting....yet dreading... the arrival of USM 102.
And god help me, I love that feeling.:)
Well, know you are not alone in the dreading USM 102. Bendis actually said in his podcast that he's been getting screamed at about MJ. Hopefully that will stop him from doing anything really bad, like keeping her that way, or even worse, killing her. My worst fear is Death of Goblin will be her. I hate to say this, because I like Bendis' s writing usually, and I think he's a decent guy, but the in-depth preview of USM 102 that came out last week, I wonder if it was "damage control" to get us talking about something other than MJ. Even on his own board, there was upset ppl. ( myself included ).

He has an idea. Remember, MJ left him earlier in the series. The first couple of pages of Issue #33 will tell all you need to know about how much that bothered him.

He has an idea. Remember, MJ left him earlier in the series. The first couple of pages of Issue #33 will tell all you need to know about how much that bothered him.

While you are correct in that Peter has suffered some emotional duress during their first break up, the current situation for MJ is much worse. Not only did Peter break up with her, he is replacing her as well. Replacing her with a person that she feels she can't compete with. She knows that besides being a pretty celebrity, Kitty can relate better to Peter's problems as a super-hero. Throw in the fact that Kitty can take care of herself if a villain shows up (Peter's reason for the break up with MJ). MJ is also a naturally insecure person, Peter is not.

While you are correct in that Peter has suffered some emotional duress during their first break up, the current situation for MJ is much worse. Not only did Peter break up with her, he is replacing her as well. Replacing her with a person that she feels she can't compete with. She knows that besides being a pretty celebrity, Kitty can relate better to Peter's problems as a super-hero. Throw in the fact that Kitty can take care of herself if a villain shows up (Peter's reason for the break up with MJ). MJ is also a naturally insecure person, Peter is not.

Wow, your insight into the psyche of a woman is remarkable. Wait a sec? are you a guy or a girl? Cause if you are a guy ( as most ppl on these forums are ) seriously.
The replaced thing is bang on. That makes a girl feel like she is not unique, or given Kitty's situation, that she is inferior. And most, if not ALL teenage girls suffer with self-image/esteem, it is a HUGE deal to us. So not only does MJ have a broken heart, she is also fighting with her self-esteem. And now she feels like she is going to be alone for the rest of her life, because she can't compete. ( Yes, go ahead and mock me for the emotional response, but I WAS there emotionally at one point. ) Part of the reason I want to see MJ back with Peter so bad, is that Peter means so much more to MJ than he does to Kitty. Kitty has seen a little of the guy underneath, but she doesn't know him. There are plenty of other guys out there that could fill Kitty's needs for a guy, and who she wouldn't be second in the heart with. There is only one Peter for MJ. ( Well, that's not true, but I doubt the clones will stick around )

KEEP YOUR X-MEN AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM MY SPIDER-MAN!!!!!!

USM's quality started dropping right after annual#1 (oh wait that's where kitty came in!!). X-Men ruined my spidey.

So peter should stay away from that castle :)

Wow, your insight into the psyche of a woman is remarkable. Wait a sec? are you a guy or a girl? Cause if you are a guy ( as most ppl on these forums are ) seriously.

Thank you for the compliment! I am a guy actually.:D

Part of the reason I want to see MJ back with Peter so bad, is that Peter means so much more to MJ than he does to Kitty. Kitty has seen a little of the guy underneath, but she doesn't know him. There are plenty of other guys out there that could fill Kitty's needs for a guy, and who she wouldn't be second in the heart with. There is only one Peter for MJ. ( Well, that's not true, but I doubt the clones will stick around )

You know, I never really considered the fact that as far as Kitty is concerned, Peter is easier to replace. Good point out. Now I feel even more so for MJ.
God, what a depressing thought!:D

Thank you for the compliment! I am a guy actually.:D
you're welcome, of all the forums I've seen, you win as the most insightful guy, you trully nailed how she feels. I get tired of being one of few to see from MJ's perspective.
[/quote]
You know, I never really considered the fact that as far as Kitty is concerned, Peter is easier to replace. Good point out. Now I feel even more so for MJ.
God, what a depressing thought!:D[/QUOTE]
Kitty thinks Peter is irreplaceable at the moment, but he is not to her. The impression I got is she is looking for a nice super-powered guy, and she happened to have a crush on Spider-man. There are other nice guys like Peter, and ones where she won't be second-fiddle. Peter loves MJ. He has thought about marrying her, she's his best friend. Kitty's not going to be able to top that. For Kitty's benefit, she needs someone else.
Also, check out the solicits for Feb, USM 105 is on there, and the cover is mighty encouraging to us MJ fans. If Kitty wins there though, I am out. It would be out of character for Peter to choose her.

Since it seems like people are discussing lots of Kitty vs. MJ stuff here, how do you think the girls will react to the clones? Judging by her comments in 101, MJ seems like she's figured out that Kaine isn't Peter, or that something seriously weird is going on. I don't think she'll blame Peter for what Kaine did, but she knows that at least some of what Kaine said, Peter is thinking.

Kitty, so far, has no idea the clones exist. She's only really known Peter for, what, a month? She doesn't know him all that well and since she seemed almost ready to break up over him talking to his ex, I don't think an insane copy of him kidnapping MJ is going to go over well.

I don't really know. There are still to many questions to be answered. But to hazard a guess...I think that if MJ is cured quickly she will worry more about the clones affect on Peter and try and help him get through it. I think Kitty will have a hard time dealing with it though.

Since it seems like people are discussing lots of Kitty vs. MJ stuff here, how do you think the girls will react to the clones? Judging by her comments in 101, MJ seems like she's figured out that Kaine isn't Peter, or that something seriously weird is going on. I don't think she'll blame Peter for what Kaine did, but she knows that at least some of what Kaine said, Peter is thinking.

Kitty, so far, has no idea the clones exist. She's only really known Peter for, what, a month? She doesn't know him all that well and since she seemed almost ready to break up over him talking to his ex, I don't think an insane copy of him kidnapping MJ is going to go over well.
:) If anyone can figure out that Peter is acting weird, it's MJ. I think MJ will be freaked out, but she will be concerned about Peter, as you said. If nothing else, at least she is knowing how much Peter cares for her, ( which she needs for encouragement ) from the Tarantula and Kaine's actions, and words. What would be totally awesome, would be if a clone told the real Peter what a dork he was being for dumping MJ like that. No, Kitty is not going to like Peter's clones fighting over MJ etc..they are proving how much Peter truly cares for MJ. If Kitty actually sees Peter with MJ, she's going to know it's over.
Anyone remember this old interview?
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6235
I quote, "Another potential hazard for Peter and Kitty's relationship is the lingering feelings he has for Mary Jane Watson. "They are first loves and he didn't break up with her because he didn't love her," Bendis stated. "So that will be there. There will be Kitty/MJ interaction and it's not good news for MJ. She got the short end of the stick. That will be dealt with in time. A lot of it's going to come to a head around issue #100. Kitty and MJ will have to team up to help Peter in a time of need."
Bold is my addition, I wonder if this refers to the future issue 105? or MJ has already had her bad news? The only line I can think of that fits this is when MJ saw Peter with Kitty in 87. But I wouldn't call that interaction. MJ's had enough bad news already! Thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back