Skyfall discussion

Does anyone else wish that - as much as I loved him - Javier Bardem's part was played by Pierce Brosnan?

It'd make so much sense. Brosnan came on board with Dench. Dench left him in a prison in DIE ANOTHER DAY, Brosnan's last Bond film. The idea that "James Bond" is a codename for all 007s has been a popular fan theory, and it would be a great way to do it here with Brosnan seeking revenge on Dench. I look at SKYFALL and imagine Brosnan in the role and it just works so well.

As sweet as that would have been Javier Garden owned that role as hard as possible.

I'm currently watching The Man With The Golden Gun. The James Bond franchise has come along way. Not to mention Christopher Lee's career.

Does anyone else wish that - as much as I loved him - Javier Bardem's part was played by Pierce Brosnan?

It'd make so much sense. Brosnan came on board with Dench. Dench left him in a prison in DIE ANOTHER DAY, Brosnan's last Bond film. The idea that "James Bond" is a codename for all 007s has been a popular fan theory, and it would be a great way to do it here with Brosnan seeking revenge on Dench. I look at SKYFALL and imagine Brosnan in the role and it just works so well.

And Kincade was almost Sean Connery.

Last edited:
Yeah, i was so afraid Kincade was going to be played by Connery. The nods to classic Bond were nice. That would have been too much!

That would have been cool to see. I immediately thought of the movie where Brosnan was left in prison, when Bardem gave that speech. I highly doubt they would include that though, as it would pretty much establish that fan theory as correct. I think it's an interesting theory, but it might be best left as a theory.

Anyone else notice a bunch of "nods" to Nolan's Batman films by Mendes? Maybe it's because I read an article in which he praised Nolan's Batman films as being influential, but repeatedly throughout the movie I couldn't help but draw parallels. Examples: Hong Kong scene, Bardem's plan to be captured and taken to headquarters ala the Joker, Bardem's general demeanor similar to the Joker, Bond's childhood home being burnt down, the secret passage and the fire ball that went down it (similar to Begins), as well as the way they staged the train falling into the tunnel (like the train being destroyed at the end of Begins).

Also, the whole concept that the hero is old and past his prime and the villain is part of the same organization as him. But yeah, lots of similarities.

A lot of people have been comparing the two negatively, which I think is a shame. Clearly they both have similarities and Skyfall took a lot from the Dark Knight trilogy but people have to remember that Christopher Nolan was inspired by the James Bond franchise while making those movies and took a bunch of stuff from them too, like the Hong Kong sequence and the skyhook and most of the plot of The Dark Knight Rises, which basically was a James Bond movie - The World Is Not Enough, in fact. It's a big, weird circle of inspiration.

Indeed. If its derivative or plagiarism, its negative. While they share similarities they're just not the same as each other in terms of substance.

I didn't mean to imply plagiarism, just that I was struck by the similarities I perceived. Especially, as there seemed to be more and more as the movie progressed.

I remember thinking it was like TDK except Harvey was the hero and didn't turn (Bond). And Batman was also Commissioner Gordon (M).

Think about it. Silva has a vendetta against M. He plays with her mind and destroys her life, but at the end he won't kill her. (He wants her to kill both of them).

Bond is just sort of incidental to Silva's plan. Silva tries to corrupt him as another way to mess with M, but Bond doesn't turn.

It's obviously not a perfect analogy, but that's what I thought of when I saw it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back