Spider-Man Spider-Island

wow.

EDIT: Okay, so I read the whole thing.

First, the offbeat Spidey/Wolverine team-up you referred to at the beginning is called Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine.

Second. I understood the Knightfall part. All of it. And I'm proud of myself for that.

Third. I very much enjoyed reading that post. It was ridiculous and true all at the same time

Fourth. I'm extremely disappointed that the final paragraph...

Why should you care? Because he takes a silly concept and isn't afraid to be silly with it. He lets the inherently hammy characters like the central villains and Anti-Venom be hammy. He lets the Avengers be blaise because this is just another day in the city for them. And in a crossover which necessitates crossover with the greater universe, he still lets his ensemble cast take center stage, from Carlie and MJ to Jameson, to the Horizon cats. Because, despite everything you say about it being cliched and redundant, it's a story that isn't afraid to surprise you. It's a story that pretends to be about Manhattan infected with Spider-Men, then becomes a story about Manhattan infected with mutant spiders. It has Spider-Man fighting crooks back to back with Mayor Jameson on one page and then Jameson tearing open the neck of the villain who killed his wife with mayor mandibles a few pages later. It's a story prefaced by omens that surprises you with its light-heartedness, enough to make you forget the promises of gloom and doom, then whiplashes you into suddenly believing things are getting to get genuinely ugly. It's a story where the genuinely interesting web of lies (Again! Hah!) Peter Parker has been weaving to his various friends and associates begin to fringe and you're forced to believe there might actually be consequences. And Slott makes you care enough about his newest relationship to actually kind of want Carlie to find out. I don't know how the story's going to end. By which I mean, yes, the city will revert to normal and yes, Spider-Man will still be Spider-Man, but I care enough about the characters to know how these relationships will have changed by the end of it. You should care because it's a good story, a well written story, a story with an ensemble cast of believable characters who have been lovingly crafted then sent to interesting places. You should like it because sometimes there's a lot more to a story than its tag line, and a lot more to a character than geek prejudices about what types of stories are and aren't appropriate.

didn't end with "Spider-Island isn't the Spider-Man story we deserve, but it's the Spider-Man story we need."

Last edited:
wikipedia:
Morbius
was actually a Nobel Prize-winning biochemist, who had attempted to cure himself of a
rare blood disease
with an experimental treatment involving
vampire bats
and electroshock therapy. However, he instead became afflicted with a far worse condition that mimicked the powers and
blood-thirst of legendary vampirism

I read #666 and #667 and while I hate the Jackal and the premise, I can't help but adore Slott's Spider-Man. Everything is really wonderful. I'm going to go back and find all the issues from BRAND NEW DAY and catch up. He writes Spidey (and Spidey's world) so very well. Even the Jackal is somewhat fun.

Just start with Big Time his BND stuff was actually rather hum-drum

Waid, Kelly, Wells, and Van Lente were the BND rock stars

Well its over. It was a pretty good conclusion. Kaine is
totally going to be the new Scarlet Spider
. And MJ
still loves Peter!
(I hope they get back together!)

Finished SPIDER-ISLAND. Was pleasantly impressed by it. It was proper, old-school Spidey fun. While the Spider-Queen and the Jackal and Kaine and all that nonsense and the basic premise was god-awful 1990s schlock, Slott has such a wonderful love not only for Spidey, but for Spidey's world, that it becomes charming and I enjoy it despite the crappy villains. Ramos' art is terrific, and for the first time, I like Kaine. KAINE. I actually think he's cool. Wow. How did that happen? But all the crazy science experiments that turn people into monsters and that whole totemestic web-of-life crap I can't stand. I like Spidey when he's as mundane as it's possible for a man with spider-powers to be. Magic and B-movie sci-fi irks me (yet I like Venom - behold my capriciousness). But doesn't matter because I really enjoyed it. Well done, Mr Slott!

Finished SPIDER-ISLAND. Was pleasantly impressed by it. It was proper, old-school Spidey fun. While the Spider-Queen and the Jackal and Kaine and all that nonsense and the basic premise was god-awful 1990s schlock, Slott has such a wonderful love not only for Spidey, but for Spidey's world, that it becomes charming and I enjoy it despite the crappy villains. Ramos' art is terrific, and for the first time, I like Kaine. KAINE. I actually think he's cool. Wow. How did that happen? But all the crazy science experiments that turn people into monsters and that whole totemestic web-of-life crap I can't stand. I like Spidey when he's as mundane as it's possible for a man with spider-powers to be. Magic and B-movie sci-fi irks me (yet I like Venom - behold my capriciousness). But doesn't matter because I really enjoyed it. Well done, Mr Slott!

The word you're looking for is Chevy Caprice.

"Behold my Chevy Caprice." Sorry, I'm not really a stickler for grammatical errors, but this one rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

I haven't read Dan Slott in a long while, but it's nice to see him show some of that affectionate love for some of the stupidest things in the Marvel Universe, and really evokes that Spider-Man/Human Torch mini he did way back which is quite possibly one of his best works EVAR

Well its over. It was a pretty good conclusion. Kaine is
totally going to be the new Scarlet Spider
. And MJ
still loves Peter!
(I hope they get back together!)

Well you might get your wish
Carlie dumps Peter after she discovers that he is Spider-man

I just read the epilogue. Slott is a genius. There is so much tongue-in-cheek dialogue.

In regards to Madame Web's warning about Peter's loss, all I can say is that they had better not kill MJ!

Latest posts

Back