A long while ago I made this watch order for the seasons where DS9 overlaps with TNG and VOY.Anyone interested in doing Star Trek? It would be massive.
- Stardates are in order.
- Multi-part episodes are together.
- The 1998-99 season premieres each establish that months have passed. I simulated DS9's 3-month gap by stringing several VOY episodes together. The surrounding episodes' stardates prevented me from doing much for VOY's two-month gap. The stardates indicate a 37-day gap, so "two months" seems to be an exaggeration anyway.
- "It's Only a Paper Moon" spans more time than most episodes. There's likely a larger-than-usual gap between it and "The Siege of AR-558," two episodes earlier.
- Star Trek: Insurrection most likely takes place sometime between the opening of "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Field of Fire." Worf doesn't appear during that period, which gives him time for off-station missions.
- To decide when other undated episodes happened, I usually went by first airdate.
- I say first airdate, because TNG and DS9 went direct-to-syndication. Each local station chose when to air episodes. That doesn't change the order of episodes within each series, but it means that there's no consistent day of the week when those episodes aired.
- Exception: VOY aired on UPN, but sometimes its episodes were shuffled out of production order. For undated episodes, I looked at whether the stardates in that string of episodes are in production order or airdate order. Episodes listed out of VOY's airdate order are in bold.
- When I had to make a judgment call, I prioritized alternating between series.
Most of it is pretty standard, until you get to the 1998-99 season. There are those months that happen offscreen, VOY is out of order, and DS9's final season has very few stardates. Lots of judgment calls there.
I expanded and clarified my notes at bit.
I should also mention that I made some changes yesterday and today. As I was going through it, I realized that I had originally prioritized alternating between the shows over using airdates. The current version matches my current set of priorities.