Star Wars Canon Expanded Universe - Timeline - Reading Order

I would love love to see you add the reference books in. I really have no idea where to place them.
I'm really keen to keep this timeline focused as an 'original stories only' thing to optimise its usefulness for people like me looking to follow through the Star Wars story in order. Sorry!

I'm really keen to keep this timeline focused as an 'original stories only' thing to optimise its usefulness for people like me looking to follow through the Star Wars story in order. Sorry!

Please don't apologize. I totally understand.

How were the Forces Of Destiny Maz Kanata book-ends figured out?
The placements aren't concrete as the shorts contain no solid info as to exactly when they're taking place. What we know is that, since the shorts are framing narratives where Maz tells the stories of the individual FoD episodes, they must take place after the latest story contained in each Volume. As such, Volumes 1 and 2 must take place after the Force Awakens, and Volumes 3 and 4 must take place after the Last Jedi. Since Jedi picks up directly after Force Awakens and Maz is implied to be busy during the Last Jedi and not chilling by a lake as she is in Volume 1, we can therefore deduce all 4 volumes must take place in the year-long gap between The Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker. The Poe Dameron comic, Resistance Reborn, Allegiance and the early episodes of Resistance S2 all follow on pretty quickly from Jedi, so I picked the gap between Resistance 2x11 and 2x12 as that felt like enough time had passed for Maz to have picked up the stories, but wasn't so far through the timeline that she'd have reached the place we find her in for The Rise of Skywalker.

The placements aren't concrete as the shorts contain no solid info as to exactly when they're taking place. What we know is that, since the shorts are framing narratives where Maz tells the stories of the individual FoD episodes, they must take place after the latest story contained in each Volume. As such, Volumes 1 and 2 must take place after the Force Awakens, and Volumes 3 and 4 must take place after the Last Jedi. Since Jedi picks up directly after Force Awakens and Maz is implied to be busy during the Last Jedi and not chilling by a lake as she is in Volume 1, we can therefore deduce all 4 volumes must take place in the year-long gap between The Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker. The Poe Dameron comic, Resistance Reborn, Allegiance and the early episodes of Resistance S2 all follow on pretty quickly from Jedi, so I picked the gap between Resistance 2x11 and 2x12 as that felt like enough time had passed for Maz to have picked up the stories, but wasn't so far through the timeline that she'd have reached the place we find her in for The Rise of Skywalker.
Seams reasonable. Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out which episodes of Rebels, The Mandalorian and Resistance are un-official multi-parters and form arcs like nearly every episode of The Clone Wars did previously. The ">" symbol indicates the episode flows directly into the next one.

Here's what I have so far. Let me know if I missed any...

Rebels:
1.09: "Empire Day" >
1.10: "Gathering Forces"

1.14: "Call To Action" >
1.15: "Rebel Resolve" >
1.16: "Fire Across The Galaxy"

2.03: "The Lost Commanders" >
2.04: "Relics Of The Old Republic"

2.11: "Legacy" >
2.12: "A Princess On Lothal"

4.10: "Jedi Night" >
4.11: "DUME" >
4.12: "Wolves And A Door" >
4.13: "A World Between Worlds"

4.14: "A Fool's Hope" >
4.15/4.16: "Family Reunion – And Farewell"

The Mandalorian:
1.01: "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian" >
1.02: "Chapter 2: The Child" >
1.03: "Chapter 3: The Sin"

1.07: "Chapter 7: The Reckoning" >
1.08: "Chapter 8: Redemption"

Resistance:
1.19: "The Disappeared" >
1.20: "Descent" >
1.21: "No Escape: Part 1" >
1.22: "No Escape: Part 2" >
2.01: "Into The Unknown"

Hi,

I understand why you placed Queen's Shadow where it's place because of the epilogue. With that thinking shouldn't Master and Apprentice be moved because of the epilogue?

Hi,

I understand why you placed Queen's Shadow where it's place because of the epilogue. With that thinking shouldn't Master and Apprentice be moved because of the epilogue?
Ah, really good point! Totally forgot about the epilogue in that - I'll move it right away!

Hey, I know you are not planning on adding reference books. Any suggestions on where you would put them to read.

Forces of Destiny: May the Force Be with US Cinestory Comic
Forces of Destiny: Strength and Hope Cinestory Comic
Forces of Destiny: Meet the Heroes
Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage
Backstories: Darth Vader: Sith Lord
The Rebel Files
Droidography
The Last Jedi Bomber Command
Poe Dameron: Flight Log
Backstories: Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
Star Wars The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter (Replica Journal)
Droid Tales: C-3PO Does Not Like Sand
Droid Tales: R2-D2 is Lost
Sabine my rebel Sketchbook
Ezra's Rebel Journal
On the Front Lines
Solo Tales from Vandor
Rebel Dossier

Last edited:
I just finished reading Queen's Peril, and I noticed it's not on the timeline. It takes place before and during Episode I, but it has an epilogue told from Leia's perspective at the award ceremony from the end of Episode IV. So I would add it to the timeline after A New Hope in order to avoid spoilers.

I too would love to see an update on this now we've seen Mando season 2 and have new releases such as Queen's Peril out there. This is the most accurate list I can find. Wookiepedia's list is a bit... all over the place with it being direct chronology and others on the internet seem to have quite strange placements. I'd love to be able to follow this one when doing a big in-universe read.

I must ask though, why is Catalyst so far down the list? Isn't the last date in it 17BBY, which would put it around the same time as/before Fallen Order?

Thanks again for you work!

Updated with all the latest material except The Vow of Silver Dawn as I can't read Chinese - hopefully they might release an English version at some point? Some stories, such as Free Fall, I haven't got around to reading yet so have placed for now according to Wookieepedia - feel free to advise if you've read it or any other story and have a better placement to suggest.

GPeak - what do you mean about Catalyst being so far down the list? It's only 4 stories down from Fallen Order, practically concurrent. Do let me know if you've found any details to more accurately place it in relation to the other stories set around that time, though, and I'll happily move it.

Here is my own personal graphical timeline. It includes some legends material I will always consider canon. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sorry for the late response @Treacleman!

Also spoiler tagging this, since Catalyst spoilers.

At the end of Catalyst, Tarkin is assigned to Sentinel Base, which is where he is at the beginning of Tarkin, therefore it must take place immediately, or shortly, before Tarkin.

Also, I just finished reading Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #19, and it goes directly into #20, with Vader being in the very same room with the same people, meaning Fallen Order can't happen between them. I'd place 19 through 25 before Dark Temple.

Latest posts

Back