Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [SPOILERS]

Your kidding me, right? I thought Darth Vader kills Anakin.

Hahaha. Where have you been MWF? That's just what Ben says. Doesn't mean it's true. I've read the book. I know what happens.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Who are the twins? I heard rumors that it's Luke and Leia but they're like lovers in the OT... some hott stuff.
Dude. Luke had this romantic farmboy thing for rescuing Princess Leia, but they never became lovers at all. And by the end of Return of the Jedi it was revealed that they were brother and sister. Padme Amidala basically had them together as twins.

As for "Darth Vader" killing Anakin Skywalker, Vader makes it clear that Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi was lying, shielding Luke from the truth. But in a metaphorical sense, Darth Vader really did "kill" Anakin Skywalker in the sense that the power-mad Sith eclipsed the personality of the ambitious young Jedi. And Obi-Wan makes it clear that that is exactly what he meant.

elfreo said:
how does she die? because i heard anakin kills her.
SPOILER
Well, I don't know what the novelization says (a pretty important distinguishing point, because if the past novelizations are any indication, there are usually significant differences made), but basically Anakin (now Lord Vader) does a force choke on Padme Amidala after discovering that Obi-Wan Kenobi has stowed away on her ship, and accuses her of being in alliance with Obi-Wan against him. She passes out (but does not die) but after Obi-Wan and Vader have their fight, she dies shortly after childbirth, and they make it clear its because she has "lost the will to live" after losing Anakin to the dark side.

Patriot said:
immaculate conception,only solution.
I watched Episode 1 on tv the other night (It was a religious holiday here. What else would they do except have a Star Wars marathon?) and his mother was claiming that Anakin was an immaculate conception.

Caduceus said:
I watched Episode 1 on tv the other night (It was a religious holiday here. What else would they do except have a Star Wars marathon?) and his mother was claiming that Anakin was an immaculate conception.
Yeah, I remember that one. I wish they removed that whole midichlorians bull crap though. It's just unnecessary science. (Nobody needs to point out the irony of me liking Warren Ellis and hating unnecessary science, thanks.)

Patriot said:
What midochlorians crap?What was that stuff?
I think that is what makes the Force. The more midichlorians a Jedi has the stronger the Force is with him. This is all according to Episode 1.

eroz said:
I think that is what makes the Force. The more midichlorians a Jedi has the stronger the Force is with him. This is all according to Episode 1.

Right so.An immaculate conception makes so much more sense.......

Caduceus said:
After watching Episode 1, I got the feeling that Palpatine was Anakin's father. It was never said in the movie, I just got that impression and that Anakin's mother was just hiding who the father really was.

eroz said:
After watching Episode 1, I got the feeling that Palpatine was Anakin's father. It was never said in the movie, I just got that impression and that Anakin's mother was just hiding who the father really was.
Tatooine Inquisitor: I Got Knocked Up By A Sith
He Also Happens to Be Immortal, says Darth Mommy.

eroz said:
What I find absurd about the whole midichlorian thing is yeah, sure they stick a device into young Anakin and find he's got a higher than normal, almost superhuman count of Force-generating thingies but it means nothing.

I mean sure that's great news, but does that EVER factor into anything important in the story? Do we see people trying to study the biological mystery of midichlorians? Artificially recreate them? Destroy midichlorians? Bring out Force-suppressing ysalamiri and explain how it counteracts the midichlorians?

They could have just said he was strong in the force, and it would still have made sense. Superman just flies, Spider-Man just crawls and Jedi defy normal physics. If we want a pseudoscientific explanation for it, give a reason for it to matter.

ourchair said:
They could have just said he was strong in the force, and it would still have made sense. Superman just flies, Spider-Man just crawls and Jedi defy normal physics. If we want a pseudoscientific explanation for it, give a reason for it to matter.

Or Warren Ellis could just make it fun science....

ourchair said:
What I find absurd about the whole midichlorian thing is yeah, sure they stick a device into young Anakin and find he's got a higher than normal, almost superhuman count of Force-generating thingies but it means nothing.

I mean sure that's great news, but does that EVER factor into anything important in the story? Do we see people trying to study the biological mystery of midichlorians? Artificially recreate them? Destroy midichlorians? Bring out Force-suppressing ysalamiri and explain how it counteracts the midichlorians?

Totally agree with you on all of that. I don't even know what Lucas was thinking when he wrote that junk in.

As for Palpatine or anyone being Anakin's father... there's no underlying story there. He was conceived without a father, that's all there was too it. I don't think they should have done that because it was just a cheap way of saying yea, this does tie into christianity but they did it so that's all there is to it.

Patriot said:
Or Warren Ellis could just make it fun science....
To be critical, I'll grant that Ellis throws in a whole lot of mumbo jumbo in a lot of his books, often more than is necessary, but at least in his better work he manages to give it a functional purpose or to communicate a point.

Even in Ultimate Fantastic Four, he made certain that the pseudoscience points functioned as foreshadowing or establishment points. Sue being puzzled over how Ben is able to breath obviously meant that there'd be something funny about him that'd explain surviving the toxic atmosphere of Nihil's domain and in the future, Reed's pliable bacterial stack would make it both fun and believable to know that he can study and work and invent things for days on end.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't think they should have done that because it was just a cheap way of saying yea, this does tie into christianity but they did it so that's all there is to it.
I honestly think it's George's prerogative whether he chooses or not to go for the overused Christianity trope, but it makes sense no matter which way you argue about it:

George based much of the storytelling structure on Joseph Campbell's work, a comparative mythologist with a Jungian bent. And the concept of Christ-like messianic figures is not uncommon around the world even to those cultures not touched by Christianity.

If Star Wars needs to be Christ-like in story, then so be it, since it fits well with George's agenda of making it an "evocative" and "resonant" pop mythos. My only problem is if Campbell is supposed to be Jungian, and The Myth is supposed to be created by a culture's unconscious, then shouldn't it be silly to think that George can create mythology consciously, like a paint-by-numbers set?

ourchair said:

it gets him into jedi training...

eroz said:

HOLY CRAP! I had that thought once...

nigma said:
it gets him into jedi training...
Saying that all the great Jedi Masters of the Council: Qui-Gonn, Yoda, Mace Windu, all "sense" his unmatched level of potential, his strength of Force would still work as well, and would be a lot less cumbersome of an explanation.

Just got home...........
AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be seeing it again in 9 hours, but this time it will be on a digital movie screen. :D :D :D :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

It was all great EXCEPT for the TERRIBLE script (in some points) and acting (by some actors), but otherwise this movie was kickass and I'd see it 2 or 3 more times. :D

Latest posts

Back