Star Wars General Discussion (dedicated to Houde)

And I thought I hated Chuck Wendig before.

The article I read on this (Kotaku I think) said that his SW books have been good or well received; something like that. I was surprised - everything I've seen and read on them has been pretty bad.

I read (or listened to the audio book of) the first two...they weren't horrible, but they were pretty unremarkable. His writing in the present tense is pretty jarring though.

The article I read on this (Kotaku I think) said that his SW books have been good or well received; something like that. I was surprised - everything I've seen and read on them has been pretty bad.

I read (or listened to the audio book of) the first two...they weren't horrible, but they were pretty unremarkable. His writing in the present tense is pretty jarring though.

Lol no they haven't. I know exactly what articles you're talking about. They gloss over the boring characters and paper thin plots to focus on "YAY! GAY CHARACTERS!". Anyone who actually reads it walks away going "man, that sucked" and audiobookers go "that was whatever". Interestingly enough, and I'm sure I've talked about this before, I think it was Lords of the Sith that had the lesbian Imperial. Kotaku and Gawker sites lit up praising the inclusiveness. Then the book came out and the Imperial was a massive ***** and kept Twi'lek sex slaves. Anyone who read the book loved the character, but all the sites never mentioned the book after the intial article.

This is how Wendig got the job BTW https://twitter.com/chuckwendig/status/507677975064887296

And I thought I hated Chuck Wendig before.

Pretty sure Story Group made that decision. I doubt the writers they hire to pen the spin off novels get final word in deciding fates of characters, major or minor. The writers largely work from an outline/storyline already established by Story Group and create some original characters and plot points to fill in gaps.

That isn't disputing that Wendig may be a crap author, but it's illogical to blame him for that decision with Jar Jar.

Besides, while it's disconcerting and downright uncomfortable, it kind of works.

Pretty sure Story Group made that decision. I doubt the writers they hire to pen the spin off novels get final word in deciding fates of characters, major or minor. The writers largely work from an outline/storyline already established by Story Group and create some original characters and plot points to fill in gaps.

That isn't disputing that Wendig may be a crap author, but it's illogical to blame him for that decision with Jar Jar.

Besides, while it's disconcerting and downright uncomfortable, it kind of works.

I always went with what Pablo said on the matter. Jar-Jar was an Imperial legend and hero.

That can still be case, only an unintentional legend/hero to them, given his intentions.

That's how Pablo was putting it. I wish I had the tweets. Anyway, I don't like Jar-Jar as a sad clown. That reads as someone who it going with the OT opinion rather than the fan opinion. Fans don't hate Jar-Jar because they've seen The Clone Wars and understand his character, whiny OT purists can't stand him and want him to suffer. Jar-Jar is already suffering enough just being him. This feels like someone doubling down to appease OT people.

Last edited:
han-solo-cast-photo.jpg

That's how Pablo was putting it. I wish I had the tweets. Anyway, I don't like Jar-Jar as a sad clown. That reads as someone who it going with the OT opinion rather than the fan opinion. Fans don't hate Jar-Jar because they've seen The Clone Wars and understand his character, whiny OT purists can't stand him and want him to suffer. Jar-Jar is already suffering enough just being him. This feels like someone doubling down to appease OT people.

I don't think so. That's quite a pessimistic view, man. It's more to do with fact Jar Jar played instrumental role in Palpatine gaining power and setting in motion rise of Empire. So, there's a certain logic, a penance he's set upon himself. You're sniping at OT purists, but forget that as you just said, Jar Jar is already suffering enough. His sad clown is only a conscious self acknowledgment of his failures and the cost it had on galaxy. Though I do think that places too much blame on Jar Jar, personally.

This is cool. I'd like to see what it's like to see him getting used to the armor and his new powers.

Woke up and watched Rebels, two hours later and I'm still gathering my feelings on that Maul and Obi-Wan confrontation.
I like the parallels with The Phantom Menace, but it feels so...rushed.

Last edited:
Woke up and watched Rebels, two hours later and I'm still gathering my feelings on that Maul and Obi-Wan confrontation.
I like the parallels with The Phantom Menace, but it feels so...rushed.

It did feel a little rushed, but I admit that I liked its shift from what
was expected to be a long, drawn out battle with that simple, quick one and Maul dying in Obi-Wan's arms.

It had a simple elegance and perfectly echoed how Obi-Wan would approach
comforting his dying nemesis
. In terms of portraying Obi-Wan's character, it was damn near perfect, in my opinion. Also liked the shot at end of Obi-Wan watching over Luke from a distance (who by that time in timeline would be like 16-17 years old, couple years or so before A New Hope where he was 19).

Last edited:
It was a
samurai battle
, I feel like George Lucas probably loved it. Filoni is seriously Lucas Jr., I'm so glad he has so much power over the TV department.

Man, it's tempting to read those spoilers. We are a couple of episodes behind...

Latest posts

Back