Star Wars - Timeline (New Canon)

Episode VII title revealed!

B1xf4O0IUAAea_3.jpg

I think it's an epic title. Gave me an excited shudder reading it and sent my mind off everywhere trying to figure out what it could mean.

Added the four recently announced Journey to Episode VII novels. The Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia books will all apparently shed light on what they've been doing between Episodes VI and VII, while The Fall of the Empire / Rise of the Rebellion one will focus on two friends on opposite sides of the Empire/Rebel war, spanning from the period of the ending of Episode III (Order 66 and the purge of the Jedi) to the Original Trilogy era from Episodes IV-VI. It seems to be a sort of dual tale, a similar story told from two points of view. We'll see.

Also added placeholders for two upcoming short stories in Star Wars Insider #156-157.

I also added the new calendar approach that Leland Chee (the guy who'd know before anyone else, as well as the guy--or one of the few people--who can make the call) suggested on Twitter. They'll also use the BBY/ABY years as well, now there are just two approaches.

Also, after reading the interviews of the writers for Marvel's first three SW comics found here, I'm very confidant Marvel chose the write people for the job. Genuinely excited to read these,

Why is Galactic Defense on here now?

Because, somehow, it's canon. I guess if you were to use only characters who were alive at that time (say, Han Solo and Chewbacca in the Tatooine missions, or Luke, Leia, etc in the Hoth and Endor missions, and Prequel Trilogy characters for the Prequel Trilogy planets--Geonosis, Felucia, and Kashyyyk--like Anakin, young Obi-Wan, etc), continuity wise it works.

Essentially, if nothing else, just the fact that a battle using Defense Towers and various troops did happen on those planets, account for the goings on in the game.

That's really dumb lol. I'm counting it as non-canon. Less stuff to play haha

**Sigh**

So according to Leland Chee, the guy who oversees the Star Wars timeline and acts as a member of the Story Group for the new continuity, mentioned this in a recent interview:

Recently, I asked Leland Chee about the canonicity of certain products, and Florian from Jedi-Bibliothek told me I should share the answers for the English-speaking fans (just as he did for the German fans, see link below).

Anyway, about the upcoming original Star Wars Rebels comics for the new German STAR WARS REBELS magazine, Leland had the following to say:
"Everything gets approved by members of the Story Group. With that said, they sometimes get a little bit of leeway because they are kids comics."

I guess I'll tentatively add those in. Wookiepedia still has them listed as Legends material, but that was likely just assumed as the case until this announcement, which only muddies the water further. Lucas Story Group and DC have both over complicated what should have been simple reboots, leaving lingering questions about what is and isn't canon in the new continuity.

Makes sense seeing how the Star Wars Insider stories are canon now and these comics are also published in the US. Having said that, man are they bad. Bad art, poor writing, and sometimes awful coloring. Something I really don't like is how little connection there is between everything. Even the MCU comics feel like missing pieces to a larger puzzle.

Last edited:
Makes sense seeing how the Star Wars Insider stories are canon now and these comics are also published in the US. Having said that, man are they bad. Bad art, poor writing, and sometimes awful coloring. Something I really don't like is how little connection there is between everything. Even the MCU comics feel like missing pieces to a larger puzzle.

Yup. Apparently quality isn't a strict requirement with those.

Are the Special Editions what is considered canon or are the theatrical?

Yup. Apparently quality isn't a strict requirement with those.

Have you read everything? I've still got Tarkin and Edge of the Galaxy. Was wondering what you thought of A New Dawn and Ezra's Gamble.

Last edited:
Are the Special Editions what is considered canon or are the theatrical?

The special editions are the canon version now. Currently you can't even really find the original theatrical cuts on DVD/BluRay, only the Special Edition versions. I think Disney plans on releasing the original theatrical cuts sometime in the next couple years, remember reading that somewhere.

Have you read everything? I've still got Tarkin and Edge of the Galaxy. Was wondering what you thought of A New Dawn and Ezra's Gamble.

I haven't read Tarkin, A New Dawn (started that, only 1/3 way through), or Edge of the Galaxy. I did read Ezra's Gamble.

I've been busy reading some Dragon Age novels and playing the new DA game so most of my time is on that right now. Once the new Rebels episodes start airing and I've caught up on my other timelines I'll focus on SW more.

The special editions are the canon version now. Currently you can't even really find the original theatrical cuts on DVD/BluRay, only the Special Edition versions. I think Disney plans on releasing the original theatrical cuts sometime in the next couple years, remember reading that somewhere.

Great. I don't remember if I said this here, but I grew up watching the theatrical cuts and for the first time ever I tried the Special Edition. I got halfway through A New Hope and shut it off. It's not bad and I'm not upset about it, but it's just unwatchable to me.

I haven't read Tarkin, A New Dawn (started that, only 1/3 way through), or Edge of the Galaxy. I did read Ezra's Gamble.

I've been busy reading some Dragon Age novels and playing the new DA game so most of my time is on that right now. Once the new Rebels episodes start airing and I've caught up on my other timelines I'll focus on SW more.

Here, this seems like it's made for you.

How would you guys feel about a TCW comic that connected all the episodes? Just so it flows better and that whole time period gets covered.

Actually, I figured out EXACTLY what I want to see. Freddie Prinze Jr. as Kanan in The Force Awakens (or in any of the future episodes).

Last edited:
How would you guys feel about a TCW comic that connected all the episodes? Just so it flows better and that whole time period gets covered.

I'd be down for that. And I'm sure it'll happen (or something similar) eventually. Probably not while the sequel trilogy is going on, since I figure most spin off material over the next 5 years will be set between RotJ and TFW (at least once TFA is released and they can start focusing on that period since Ep 7 will establish the characters status'), as well as stuff focusing on the SW-Rebels era, but then again, maybe.

Actually, I figured out EXACTLY what I want to see. Freddie Prinze Jr. as Kanan in The Force Awakens (or in any of the future episodes).

He'd have to play an elderly Kanan, since he was born sometime around 30 BBY, making him around 60-70 by the time Ep 7 occurs.

An interesting rumor to speculate about is who Max Von Sydow is playing in Ep 7. It's been hinted that it's a character from the Prequel or Original Trilogy era. I have a feeling he may be playing an elderly Boba Fett (who didn't die in the Sarlacc pit according to Lucas himself). The rumors also state that Sydow's character is more cybernetic than human, and given Fett fell into the Sarlacc pit (and presumably took awhile to escape), it's likely some of his body was digested by the Sarlacc, requiring him to resort to cybernetic limbs/additions to survive. Supposedly his true identity is revealed towards the end of Ep 7 and is intended to be a shock, and given all the other major characters are pretty much accounted for, in addition to the circumstantial evidence, I'm guessing he plays Fett. A Fett who was driven slightly mad by his time in the pit, and loss of much of his body, and has become a drunk living on Tatooine.

Though, that does sound awfully fan-servicey for my tastes.

Or it could very well be he's playing Ezra or maybe Kanan from Rebels, since it was hinted at that Rebels would somehow tie in directly with Episode VII. Or he may just be playing some old dude who raised Kira.

Last edited:
An interesting rumor to speculate about is who Max Von Sydow is playing in Ep 7. It's been hinted that it's a character from the Prequel or Original Trilogy era. I have a feeling he may be playing an elderly Boba Fett (who didn't die in the Sarlacc pit according to Lucas himself). The rumors also state that Sydow's character is more cybernetic than human, and given Fett fell into the Sarlacc pit (and presumably took awhile to escape), it's likely some of his body was digested by the Sarlacc, requiring him to resort to cybernetic limbs/additions to survive. Supposedly his true identity is revealed towards the end of Ep 7 and is intended to be a shock, and given all the other major characters are pretty much accounted for, in addition to the circumstantial evidence, I'm guessing he plays Fett. A Fett who was driven slightly mad by his time in the pit, and loss of much of his body, and has become a drunk living on Tatooine.

Though, that does sound awfully fan-servicey for my tastes.

Or it could very well be he's playing Ezra or maybe Kanan from Rebels, since it was hinted at that Rebels would somehow tie in directly with Episode VII. Or he may just be playing some old dude who raised Kira.

Von Sydow is 20 years older than Hamill so he could even be someone older than that. Maybe he's Darth Maul with cybernetic legs :)

How's that for fan-servicey?

Latest posts

Back