Supergirl TV Series [SPOILERS]

But Supergirl is not appearing on the Flash, which leads to the question of will the Flash acknowledge the crossover? And will it officially be part of the Flash story/timeline? And if so, is she in a different dimension? (Probably.) Or do they both exist on the same earth?

I think it will be acknowledged on Flash, if even by just a small scene or mention. Everything else though we'll have to wait until the details for the episode are released.

But Supergirl is not appearing on the Flash, which leads to the question of will the Flash acknowledge the crossover? And will it officially be part of the Flash story/timeline? And if so, is she in a different dimension? (Probably.) Or do they both exist on the same earth?

I'd say the crossover confirms Supergirl and The Flash series take place in the same multiverse, but still different dimensions/realities. As I said previously, it seems likely Flash will travel to Kara's reality through the use of the various dimensional portals all over Central City. They MAY show him leaving his reality in the episode that airs the week before, but maybe not. They could just keep it contained within the Supergirl episode itself with Flash explaining his situation to her (that this isn't his Earth).

I do view it as officially folding Supergirl into the DC-CW verse, though tangentially since it still relies on the multiverse angle (which prevents conflict between Superman existing in Kara's world, but apparently not in Flash's/Arrow's... least not yet). This frees up continuity for both shows (without having to rely on or address the plots going on in the other show, namely Supergirl).

But given its same producers and showrunners, same actor playing Flash in both, yeah, I think its clear those two shows are now indirectly linked through the multiverse with the official announcement, I just don't think they exist on same Earth.

I'd say the crossover confirms Supergirl and The Flash series take place in the same multiverse, but still different dimensions/realities. As I said previously, it seems likely Flash will travel to Kara's reality through the use of the various dimensional portals all over Central City. They MAY show him leaving his reality in the episode that airs the week before, but maybe not. They could just keep it contained within the Supergirl episode itself with Flash explaining his situation to her (that this isn't his Earth).

I do view it as officially folding Supergirl into the DC-CW verse, though tangentially since it still relies on the multiverse angle (which prevents conflict between Superman existing in Kara's world, but apparently not in Flash's/Arrow's... least not yet). This frees up continuity for both shows (without having to rely on or address the plots going on in the other show, namely Supergirl).

But given its same producers and showrunners, same actor playing Flash in both, yeah, I think its clear those two shows are now indirectly linked through the multiverse with the official announcement, I just don't think they exist on same Earth.

Wouldn't every story ever - fictional or real - exist in the same multiverse?

Perhaps, though I don't necessarily agree with such Wold-Newton all-inclusiveness. ;)

But you know what I mean, they're directly linking the two shows through the Flash character. So, while not the same universe, same multiverse in the exact same sense as all the scenes on Earth 2 in The Flash are a different reality.

Exact same approach. So we have Earth-1, Earth-2, and now Earth-S (just a temporary designation I'm using) in the DC-CW verse.

original

this makes so much sense as they said supergirl was written as part of that universe (thus no villain has been used on both) As for what this means of grand scheme of things, Superman exists in the same universe BUT he's only in metropolis hence we not seen him. I know i know "but no mention of powers till barry" So? Constantine was around before the flash continuity wise why not superman? It's a stretch sure but so is a lot of stuff when dealing with people with super powers

this makes so much sense as they said supergirl was written as part of that universe (thus no villain has been used on both)

To be fair, that doesn't really make sense. After all, we know Constantine occurs in the DC-CW TV universe, due to his appearance on Arrow, yet no Flash or Arrow villains appeared on his show, nor did any Constantine villains appear on Flash/Arrow. That has to do with the heroes facing off (mostly) against their own rogues galleries, thus Flash, Arrow, Constantine, Supergirl, etc mostly have their own villains. Arrow, Flash, and LoT share some of their villains since those shows are much more intrinsically linked than even Constantine or Supergirl will be. Its also important to remember the legal wrangling and scheduling that prevents certain things from happening, like Supergirl returning the favor and appearing on Flash.

Essentially, CBS/Viacom (which owns both networks, CBS and CW, I think) are happy to capitalize on Flash's success by having Gustin appear to help boost Supergirl's ratings, but won't return the favor for CW (likely due to an exclusivity clause signed by the actress--that happens ALL the time with network shows built around actors).

As for what this means of grand scheme of things, Superman exists in the same universe BUT he's only in metropolis hence we not seen him. I know i know "but no mention of powers till barry" So? Constantine was around before the flash continuity wise why not superman? It's a stretch sure but so is a lot of stuff when dealing with people with super powers

I'd think a flying, super-powered alien constantly making news headlines like Kara does in Supergirl would warrant a mention on Arrow, Flash, etc if they were actually meant to occur in the same universe. Doubly so since Superman has been around for like 10 years doing his thing in Metropolis on Supergirl. Creates a HUGE plot hole due to the mentions of no metas before the Star Labs reactor accident, and never a mention of a godlike alien in Metropolis, etc. I'd rather they not force it and create continuity problems that don't need to exist when they can easily and logically follow the alternate reality approach Flash has been using for the entirety of Season 2. The internal logic already exists for that approach, and makes far more sense, than them happening in same universe does and NO mentions of them until now, coupled with the continuity issues it creates with the "no metas before the reactor explosion" thing.

While the showrunners WANTED to do so, the NETWORK EXECS didn't (at first), and a CBS exec specifically said they "want to keep Supergirl to themselves". Thus, this is likely why the crossover is only one way (Flash on Supergirl, but no Supergirl on Flash).

Also, given the huge propensity of dimensional portals in Flash Season 2, combined with the information above, makes it pretty clear they're operating in different universes. I may be wrong, but it seems like the most likely route they'll take (Barry somehow crossing over into Supergirl's dimension, whether through the existing portals scattered around Central City, or possibly as a side effect of him achieving new speed levels/powers in his quest to become faster to face Zoom).

I hope it an alternate reality just to avoid the huge plot holes of them existing in same universe will create, as I mentioned before. Just doesn't work well, honestly, and would likely come off as shoe-horned in at best were they to take the same reality route.

But, yeah, its clear Superman doesn't exist in the DC CW continuity (yet), and this has been backed up by the showrunners. Neither Superman or Batman exist in the Arrow/Flash/LoT continuity... yet. They will appear in-universe eventually based on Vandal Savage's easter egg line about "Man of Steel" and "Dark Knight", but we all know we'll never see them on TV in any relevant form due to DC's odd blackout of certain characters... in certain situations. They have Flash appearing regularly on TV, and Superman occasionally showing up in Supergirl, but thats as far as its likely to go.

I do know what you meant, except for this:

EDIT: I looked it up. Now I know what you mean. Although I'm not sure your analogy really fits.

Why not? Both your question:

Captain Canuck said:

...and the general Wold-Newton approach rely on forcing a huge number of fictional stories into a somewhat cohesive (as much as it can be anyway) timeline, its just one relies on forcing them into a single reality, whereas the other relies on a multi-verse approach for breathing room (the far more logical approach in terms of avoiding continuity screw ups). Same idea, really, just slightly different approach.

Last edited:
The Flash/Supergirl Crossover Episode Titled "Worlds Finest," Multiverse Seemingly Confirmed

12651359_890707991027666_1544551342023717394_n.png

The cover page to the upcoming, eighteenth episode of Supergirl's first season, titled "Worlds Finest," has been released online.

That's the episode which will guest star Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Flash, and will air on March 28.
As commenters have already noted, it seems likely the "Worlds" rather than "World's" is a clue that there is more than one Earth at play.

To be fair the first part was from an interview with them when they said do not expect them as they were purposely leaving it open by not doing them. Also to the second he's been going so long that maybe no one mentions it as it's so normal or he's retired ? or they could even go with the crap explanation of no one believes it. Sort of like how on flash people doubt the arrow on arrow people have doubted flash was real. Maybe people outside of metropolis don't think he's real (cat worked there so would know) there are reasons that i will except just have it happen

To be fair the first part was from an interview with them when they said do not expect them as they were purposely leaving it open by not doing them. Also to the second he's been going so long that maybe no one mentions it as it's so normal or he's retired ? or they could even go with the crap explanation of no one believes it. Sort of like how on flash people doubt the arrow on arrow people have doubted flash was real. Maybe people outside of metropolis don't think he's real (cat worked there so would know) there are reasons that i will except just have it happen

You're still ignoring the fact metahumans were a new thing, created by the reactor explosion. One would think if a super powered alien had been flying around Metropolis for a decade doing amazing things, that'd warrant mention in relation to the other metas. A big part of The Flash series first season was introducing metahumans, and adding a more fantastic aspect to the world created in Arrow. If Superman exists in that world, it makes all of that pretty pointless, from the audience's standpoint.

And, again, look at Ice's post. The "Worlds Finest" title is pretty telling instead of using "World's Finest". And, in combination with the continuity problems I mentioned, and the entire second season of The Flash being based around alternate realities and crossing over to them... it should be obvious. ;)

Also, if you watch Supergirl, Superman is obviously NOT retired (its mentioned hes still saving people in Metropolis several times in the show). Also, they could go with "no one believes it", except for the fact everyone believes in Supergirl in her show, so again, not going to work.

Why create these theories that simply don't work instead of the one that actually does? You taking the anti-Occam's Razor approach? ;)

EDIT: Also, just saw this on the Supergirl TV Series wikipedia page:

While no plot details on the episodes were released at the time, Ross A. Lincoln of Deadline.com noted that "the in-universe reason" for the crossover was due to Barry's ability to travel to various dimensions, thus implying that Supergirl exists on an alternate earth in the Arrowverse multiverse.

Last edited:
I'm saying there are explanations. I mean you say "Also, they could go with "no one believes it", except for the fact everyone believes in Supergirl in her show, so again, not going to work." But I was saying it's a city by city thing. I.e Starling city's heroes will be thought "fake" in other cities. Also "A big part of The Flash series first season was introducing metahumans, and adding a more fantastic aspect to the world created in Arrow." Yet arrow has already show Constantine , Damien Dark and more existed BEFORE the explosion so in universe it's not as new as we think

Also Occam's Razor doesn't apply when I say i'll accept ANY answer as I'd want them be together. The ant-Occam's Razor would be if I was saying it cant be parallel earth , I'm not i'm saying I'd prefer it not to be to get more crossovers. It very well could be parallel i'm saying i'm, willing ti believe anything. So maybe you should understand what "Occam's Razor!" is before throwing out the term ;) This not looking for complicated explanations this is just a fan of the dc tv universe wanting to accept anything to get possibility of Arrow/Supergirl or Arrow/Flash/Supergirl or even with legends but thats not started here lol

Last edited:
I'm saying there are explanations. I mean you say "Also, they could go with "no one believes it", except for the fact everyone believes in Supergirl in her show, so again, not going to work." But I was saying it's a city by city thing. I.e Starling city's heroes will be thought "fake" in other cities.

Right, but you're telling me people outside Metropolis won't believe Superman exists despite the likely massive amount of media coverage proving he does that occurred in that universe for a decade or so? That just doesn't hold up.

Also "A big part of The Flash series first season was introducing metahumans, and adding a more fantastic aspect to the world created in Arrow." Yet arrow has already show Constantine , Damien Dark and more existed BEFORE the explosion so in universe it's not as new as we think

Constantine and Dahrk aren't metahumans though. They both use magic. Magic did exist before the reactor explosion, but metahumans didn't.

Superman isn't a metahuman by definition (he's an alien), but if Superman had been around for a decade on that same world, as I said, the appearance of metahumans wouldn't be as big a deal. Trying to force Superman and Supergirl into that universe sort of robs The Flash and Arrow's intro of metahumans of any real impact.

Also Occam's Razor doesn't apply when I say i'll accept ANY answer as I'd want them be together. The ant-Occam's Razor would be if I was saying it cant be parallel earth , I'm not i'm saying I'd prefer it not to be to get more crossovers.

But it does apply because you're fielding theories about forcing Supergirl and Superman into the Arrowverse, despite the numerous logical inconsistencies it will create, and despite the blatantly obvious and already established plot device of alternate dimensions and dimensional portals introduced in Flash.

That is absolutely a case of going the complete opposite direction of what Occam's Razor posits.

Just because you're open to the more logical approach doesn't dismiss that your aren't using the OR approach when suggesting possibilities that can't work due to what's already been established on the shows.

It very well could be parallel i'm saying i'm, willing ti believe anything. So maybe you should understand what "Occam's Razor!" is before throwing out the term ;) This not looking for complicated explanations this is just a fan of the dc tv universe wanting to accept anything to get possibility of Arrow/Supergirl or Arrow/Flash/Supergirl or even with legends but thats not started here lol

Bit hypocritical considering the Occam's Razor comment was used correctly. When you're leaning on illogical possibilities instead of the more logical and obvious, then yes, you're doing the exact opposite of what Occam's Razor defines. I'm sorry you're not getting that, but don't accuse me of not knowing what it means when I've used the term and its definition correctly. I'm wondering if you understand it?

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

So, you see, the already established plot thread of dimensional portals that Flash introduced shows that no assumptions are needed for Flash to cross over to Supergirl's universe using said portals since that's already introduced. The only assumption with that is that's how he gets to her universe.

Your hope that they occur in same universe requires making multiple assumptions that then fall apart completely due to dialogue/plot lines already established in the various shows.

You're assuming somehow that Superman is an urban legend or something that people outside of Metropolis don't believe? That works for Batman, given his ninjutsu skills and working at night. Doesn't work for an alien flying around a city day or night with red and blue tights. Most especially in the modern digital age where everyone has a camera on their phone, and images can be digitally examined to authenticate they're real. Besides, Arrow is known to exist outside his city, Flash is known to exist outside his city, and yes, Supergirl is known to exist outside her city. So why would Superman be different in that regard and not believed by anyone outside of Metropolis? It doesn't make sense, and requires an assumption to be made to explain that plot hole, an assumption that just doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

You're assuming supers/metahumans existed BEFORE the reactor explosion, despite the CW shows telling us differently. That isn't to say magic didn't exist before hand like with Constantine or Dahrk, as it obviously did, but magic is not the same as metahuman abilities. One is science (fictional science anyway), one is mysticism. Different things, though both are fantastic and beyond belief.

Thus, my point stands. You may not agree, but the definition of the term does. :)

I hoped it's revealed Flash traveled back in time to when Supergirl existed just to upset everyone.

I'm wondering if you understand it?

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected

Exactly and I mentioned the creators of the show said on IGN that were not using villains that had been seen before in case they cross over. Isn't thinking the creators know more about their show than random dude on the internet the easiest answer with the fewest assumptions ? Unless your so egotistical you think you > creators of anything. Which is fine I always trust the writers and creators :) and If they want it fits. It's that simple. Does it make sense chewie knew yoda yet seems to agree with han there is no force in IV? No but the creator said it fit so it fit. Does it make sense that buzz lightyear doesn't know he's a toy yet acts liuke a toy near humans? No but **** you toy story was awesome!

I hoped it's revealed Flash traveled back in time to when Supergirl existed just to upset everyone.

Actually, that would work. Supergirl is pre-Flashpoint. That'd still have the title "Worlds" be accurate as well. I wouldn't be upset by this and it'd still have the multiverse. Would anyone else like to see that?

Last edited:
Exactly and I mentioned the creators of the show said on IGN that were not using villains that had been seen before in case they cross over.

Which has nothing to do with what we're talking about, but ok. By this logic the fact that no Flash or Arrow villains appear on Gotham MUST mean they occur in the same universe. <---- See how little sense that makes?

Isn't thinking the creators know more about their show than random dude on the internet the easiest answer with the fewest assumptions ?

What the hell are you talking about? Did I claim to know more than the creators? This is going to be like that time you accused me of hating the military, isn't it?

That said, the creators don't get final call on the cross network crossover approach, the execs do. And, again, as said, Supergirl has a large enough rogues gallery that they don't need to use random Flash or Arrow villains, NOR could they due to rights issues. CW pays for the rights to use those characters, meaning CBS likely can't, except in such special circumstances like this crossover (where only Flash will be used, presumably, certainly none of his villains).

Unless your so egotistical you think you > creators of anything.

Yup, you're doing exactly what you did last time, making insane presumptions to paint me as some bad guy because I disagree with you and the evidence supports my theory over yours. I get it. I have based my theories on exactly what the creators and network execs have said, as well as the plot lines on the show that allows a perfect opportunity for said alternate reality crossover.

Has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with using the evidence at hand to make a likely conclusion. Grow up, Mole. I'm getting tired of the thinly veiled personal attacks. If you can't debate without resorting to that lame crap don't respond to my posts at all.

Which is fine I always trust the writers and creators :) and If they want it fits. It's that simple. Does it make sense chewie knew yoda yet seems to agree with han there is no force in IV? No but the creator said it fit so it fit. Does it make sense that buzz lightyear doesn't know he's a toy yet acts liuke a toy near humans? No but **** you toy story was awesome!

*facepalm*

Actually, that would work. Supergirl is pre-Flashpoint. That'd still have the title "Worlds" be accurate as well. I wouldn't be upset by this and it'd still have the multiverse. Would anyone else like to see that?

That would work. Though that would force Supergirl to occur at some point before 2013, so don't think it would work given the propensity for setting the shows in modern day (down to year and month for most part).

Last edited:
That would work. Though that would force Supergirl to occur at some point before 2013, so don't think it would work given the propensity for setting the shows in modern day (down to year and month for most part).

No it would work, just try not to think about it.

Latest posts

Back