Superman: Birthright

I've always hated Superman--or at least as long as I can remember. I'm sure I enjoyed the character as a 3 year old seeing Superman - The Movie for the first time, but I really couldn't comprehend or appreciate Superman at that age on most levels.

Its probably due in part to the fact that the first comics I ever owned or read were Batman comics, so I automatically preferred Bats to Supes right away (and this was before I even knew of the Marvel universe and all the other independent companies and their respective characters).

When I read The Dark Knight Returns by Miller in the early 90's, it didn't do much to soften my opinion of the guy in the red and blue suit. Granted, at 10 years old, 99% of TDKR was a little over my head (especially the socio-political symbolism), but it stuck with me that Batman was the cool one, and Supes just the stupid, strong, obedient simpleton.

I realize thats an unfair view, but despite that, I can't help it. In my opinion, Superman is lame.

And even reading amazing stories like Red Son, All-Star Superman, etc, never helped me gain a true appreciation for the character. And unfortunately, this one didn't either.

Latest posts

Back