Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
Dr.Strangefate said:
there are some rumors about Routh being in the closet, and that his publicist is going to wait for him to come out until after the Superman movies are greenlit and in production... In which case he would likely become one of the posterboy actors of the post-Brokeback Mountain gay romance movies that will probably start popping up here and there...

In an AICN interview, Routh was in the same room with his girlfriend while he talked on the phone to Harry.

Then again, you never know.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I enjoyed the film, including the romance aspect that every other male friend I know *****ed about.

A minor gripe, Kal "Kumar" Penn was wasted here. From smart-assed stoner to generic quiet henchman, I think he was too stoked to complain about his role in the film since he's in the freakin' Superman movie after all.
I believe most of his lines were part of the 20 minutes or so that were cut.
Dr.Strangefate said:
there are some rumors about Routh being in the closet, and that his publicist is going to wait for him to come out until after the Superman movies are greenlit and in production... In which case he would likely become one of the posterboy actors of the post-Brokeback Mountain gay romance movies that will probably start popping up here and there...
I don't thinke he's gay. He's had a girlfriend for several years. People have said that she was hired by Warner Bros. to make him look straight, but I believe he's been with her since before he even auditioned for the part.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Shhh....

SHHH!!!

We secretly rule the world!
... so why cant you marry?

If he's had that girl friend several years than there's no way WB pulled a "Katie Holmes". And whether he is or isnt I dont care. But I dont like that if he is I'll never here the end of it on tv, those people need to think of better topic to talk about.

Random said:
... so why cant you marry?

Its a clever ruse so nobody notices that we are getting whatever the hell we want in regards to everything else.

This way, news stays focus on homosexuals, leading towards more political homosexuals getting a voice for the first time in ever... At the same time forcing the general public to actually admit we exist, because there can't be gay marraige bans unless there are gays, escalating things to the point that television and film studios will feel pressured to hire gay actors and write in gay characters. First leading to very stereotypical characters (cough- Will and Grace), then to very antistereotypical characters (cough- Brokeback Mountain), then eventually settling to the point where it doesn't even matter anymore for supporting characters to be based on real gay people, even to the point where acting gay becomes sweet and endearing (cough- Metrosexuality).

Eventually, they actually hand over directing duties to the queers, allowing them to make socio-political undertones in their movies that make people understand the gay population as being like, say, those mutants from the movies (Remember Iceman's coming out scene in X2?), leading to the point in time where the gay community, as represented by a single man (and possibly an actor or two) can shape the archetypal American Hero in his image...

And then, when we're viewed as completely interchangable with heterosexuals, and a gay-friendly generation of people starts electing officials... Marraige will be a piece of cake.

It was all in the last newsletter.

Think of it this way... You don't have to chose to follow the Gay Agenda...

Chances are, you already have been.

:wink:

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Its a clever ruse so nobody notices that we are getting whatever the hell we want in regards to everything else.

This way, news stays focus on homosexuals, leading towards more political homosexuals getting a voice for the first time in ever... At the same time forcing the general public to actually admit we exist, because there can't be gay marraige bans unless there are gays, escalating things to the point that television and film studios will feel pressured to hire gay actors and write in gay characters. First leading to very stereotypical characters (cough- Will and Grace), then to very antistereotypical characters (cough- Brokeback Mountain), then eventually settling to the point where it doesn't even matter anymore for supporting characters to be based on real gay people, even to the point where acting gay becomes sweet and endearing (cough- Metrosexuality).

Eventually, they actually hand over directing duties to the queers, allowing them to make socio-political undertones in their movies that make people understand the gay population as being like, say, those mutants from the movies (Remember Iceman's coming out scene in X2?), leading to the point in time where the gay community, as represented by a single man (and possibly an actor or two) can shape the archetypal American Hero in his image...

And then, when we're viewed as completely interchangable with heterosexuals, and a gay-friendly generation of people starts electing officials... Marraige will be a piece of cake.

That was way to detail to be a joke...:scared:

Dr.Strangefate said:

Bwahahahahahaha!!!! :lol:

I laugh heartily because it's true.

$84 million...in 5 days....

Talk about bombing. I expected to outdo X3 and anymovie this year. Really surprised at that. Someone on MW said that for them to make profit or whatever, they'd have to do like $650.5 million world wide.

Ice said:

Talk about bombing. I expected to outdo X3 and anymovie this year. Really surprised at that. Someone on MW said that for them to make profit or whatever, they'd have to do like $650.5 million world wide.

Out of curiosity, after this post I checked here to see box office results.

X3 did okay, 69th of all time with hopefully enough juice left to overtake "Meet the Fockers" (Please!). SR has to pick up about 120 millions more with its best days behind it to even make the list (they seem to list only 200 millions and +).

Surprised on both count.

Da Vinci will no doubt whatsoever be the biggest hit of 2006. I don't think there is nothing left in store for the year that has the right stuff to gather over 700 millions to the box office.

Batman Begins is 103rd at 352 millions.

Oh, and I just realized that I must have seen almost every one of these movies. It's scary.

Last edited:
Ice said:

I know, eh?

If you were to ask me that "out of War of the Worlds, The Matrix Revelutions, and Superman Returns(all of which opened on a Wednesday), which one would make the least money on Opening Day?" I would NOT have said Superman Returns.

Haw Haw. Take that Bryan "I'm-going-to-do-a-complete-remake-of-Donner's-version-and-pass-it-off-as-a-groundbreaking-new-story-because-there's-a-little-boy-in-it-and-better-special-effects" Singer!:p

Last edited:
Alright I just saw this last night, and I really liked it, a few of my friends didn't like it because it was too similar to the first movie (which I haven't seen).

What I Liked:
-The special effects were freakin' amazing!
-I liked Lutor and Kitty's personalities.
-I liked Jimmy Olsen for once
-Routh was an excellent Superman
-James Marsden, I surprised that he was so likable, and I thought that it was ironic that this role gave him more lines than all three of the X-men movies

What I Didn't Like:
-Luthor's plan, what the hell? Even if he did drown the US, what's stopping any other country from sending soldiers to kill five people and take the Kryptonian technology?
-The kid. I'm fine with Lois having a kid, I just have a hard time believing that she and Supes could do the horizontal tango without him accidently killing her.
-I didn't like Bosworth as a brunette, but I will say that she knows how to take a beating.

Awesome movie 4/5.

Last edited:
The current consensus here at the office is that they aren't interested in seeing it because of the heavy Jesus references. But the character is messianic by nature.

Other reasons I've read over the internet as to why it didn't do too well is because of reviews. While the reviews are overall positive--many people do not want to sit thru a 2 1/2 hour film. The average movie goer has the attention span of 90 minutes. Anything after that is "just too long". :roll:

I was also talking to a group of women in line at Wal-Mart and they said they aren't taking their kids to it because others in their neighborhood, fit classes, etc. say the movie is too long, not enough action, too character heavy for kids to enjoy. And by "mom logic"---that means don't bother with the theater and wait for DVD.

There are many reasons why the film did as "poorly" as it did.

I still thought it was a great film and I'll probably see it again in the next couple of weeks with my free pass.

Last edited:
Ice said:

Ugh. Please down join the chorus of idiots who think that SR has "bombed". $84 million is not bombing.

And Warner Bros. is going to definitely going to make a good profit on this. People seem to forget how much merchandise they have out and how much they're going to make on DVD sales.

moonmaster said:
Ugh. Please down join the chorus of idiots who think that SR has "bombed". $84 million is not bombing.

And Warner Bros. is going to definitely going to make a good profit on this. People seem to forget how much merchandise they have out and how much they're going to make on DVD sales.
I meant bombing in the sense of what it was expected to do. $84 is a lot, yes, but from the expectations, it definetly bombed on that.

And of course this will make more with DVD sales and everything else, but that's not the point being made here. It's not about how much it will make on everything related. Just about how much it was expected to make, but didn't meet the expectations. Big difference there.

Ice said:
I meant bombing in the sense of what it was expected to do. $84 is a lot, yes, but from the expectations, it definetly bombed on that.

And of course this will make more with DVD sales and everything else, but that's not the point being made here. It's not about how much it will make on everything related. Just about how much it was expected to make, but didn't meet the expectations. Big difference there.
But that isn't bombing. It's just doing less than expected. If SR had "bombed" it would have only made $10 million. Was Batman Begins a bomb? Was King Kong a bomb? No. They just didn't make as much as people thought they would. Honestly, expecting any movie to make ridiculous amounts of money today is stupid.

And like I said, Warner Bros. expected it to do as well as Batman Begins. In that respect, it's surpassed expectations.

Last edited:
moonmaster said:
But that isn't bombing. It's just doing less than expected. If SR had "bombed" it would have only made $10 million. Was Batman Begins a bomb? Was King Kong a bomb? No. They just didn't make as much as people thought they would. Honestly, expecting any movie to make ridiculous amounts of money today is stupid.

And like I said, Warner Bros. expected it to do as well as Batman Begins. In that respect, it's surpassed expectations.
Put it this way:

IMO, not meeting the expectations is in a way "bombing". Just not in the sense the word is normally used in.

Last edited:
Around the World Roundup: 'Superman' Opens on Top

In its foreign debut, Superman Returns was in the range of X-Men: The Last Stand and ahead of Batman Begins, but well below Spider-Man. Grossing $20 million over the weekend from 11 markets, the Man of Steel ranked first across the board and boasted one record.

Because of the World Cup, SR won't open in Brazil, France, Mexico, Spain and the United Kingdom until July 14.

Latest posts

Back