Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
I just got back from the movie, wow. Simply wow.

The movie was nothing that I ever expected to be. Every character was believable. They all did perfect. Routh did a perfect combination of Superman and Clark Kent. Luthor should always be like that. I love the kooky Luthor. And Kitty. She was awesome.

The best scene in the movie was the plane scene. That was so awesome.

The special effects were amazing. I loved the camera angles. This was the movie Singer was meant to direct.

I'm still not sure if this was better than X-men 3. I need to let it sink in first.

The music always gets to me. I love it.

I can't think of anything wrong with this movie. I will not die happy until there a World's Finest movie with Bale and Routh.

And did you see that ****ing Spider-Man 3 trailer. I mean ****!

I definitely agree about the World's Finest movie... I hope they sneak it into their next contracts...

"Weren't there two of them..."

"Honey, could you help mommy open the door?"

hehehe.

Wonderful

Simply Wonderful

It was solidly good film. Everyone gave a good performance. It was strange seeing Lex Luthor so different from his comic book persona. Kevin Spacey gave a great performance. I was shocked how large of a role James Marsden had. He did a good job, but his character wasn't hyped that much. I thought Kate Bosworth did a good job, but I think someone else could have done a better job.

Brandon Routh is totally Superman. To the T.

Superman having a son is the best twist I've seen in a movie in a long time. That was just great. I kept imagining Superman flip out when he finds out and saying stuff like, "I knew that regular condom wasn't going to cut it" and "I was always bitter at my father for letting another man raise me, but now I'm thinking it might be genetic." I kept thinking of Mall Rats and hearing Lois say, "The pregnancy wasn't that bad. I just had to keep out of the sun."

My only gripe was with Superman throwing the kryptonite island into space. I'm not sure what I wanted him to do about it, but it was just a little too out there.

I must share the most offensive Superman joke I heard on my Topfive list "Surprises in 'Superman Returns.'"

"He can handle Kryptonite, but horse-jumping scares the hell out of him."

thee great one said:
When did Lois and Superman live in sin?

That kinda of shocked me.
Superman II. Right after Lois finds out that Clark is Superman and right before he asks his "parents" in the Fortress if he could ever live with a human woman.

This movie had heart. This movie had action. This movie stayed true to the feel of the first two movies, and This movie created a status quo for a whole new line of movies.

Rather than break away from the other two and basically piss all over movie and comic book continuity.

Superman was much better than X3.

(and you know I liked X3, this is just on a different level)

Why isn't there more discussion about this? There are regular showings of it in my area. Is this not true of all areas?

It just came out today.

Some people have jobs and therefore can't make it.

Other people are possibly at a showing right this moment.

Dr.Strangefate said:
It just came out today.

Some people have jobs and therefore can't make it.

Other people are possibly at a showing right this moment.
Jobs? I put my academic future in jeopardy to see this movie. I carreer everyone else can sacrifice a job.

I absolutely loved this movie. The CGI was amazing I loved all the action, acting was spot on. This was more perfect than I thought was possible.

I'm so glad the comedy in it worked, I was worried it may be too goofy like the old ones but they had a pefect balance and the jokes were actually really funny.

I loved the opening credits, made me feel like a kid again, and I liked the whole background sequence they did.

And that last shot gave me goosebumps

What more could I say that hasnt been said?

Now for what I thought needed improvement. They needed to show more of Clark Kent as a person, thats what I usually dont like about Superman they often neglect Clark. I dont like bumbling Clark though it was funny, they need to mix that with cool confident clark like from TAS. It seems like hes doesnt do anything at the Planet, nxt movie definitely needs him and Lois doing some investigating reporting

And the son thing fell apart at the end, When did Superman find out, I dont recall anyone telling him, I feel that it needed more resolution.

... that's it that's all I didn't like about the movie... sweetness

Wasn't anyone else expecting Suppes to grab his crystals and the video the one thug took for evidence against Luthor? I feel like the guy with the camera would hold that purpose and Last shot of Luthor would be in jail and someone saying "Some criminal master mind, you video taped your crimes!"

Random's score---- 5/5

There's a reason why I saw this movie twice in a row today, possibly once more tonight and probably another four times while it's showing in theaters.

IT WAS GREAT.

For starters, the opening. First we hear Brando monologue, then we see Krypton die (and was that a sight). Then, when John Williams Superman theme started and the credits were just like the original, all my doubts were erased. It was just a feeling that let you know that THIS was a movie that was going to be right. Was it ever.

For starters, Spacey was the perfect choice as Lex Luthor. I'm sorry, I don't agree with the people who say they needed a different villain. Superman returning can only mean he has to face his greatest foe again. What a showdown too, and a scheme. It was a great blending of all three Luthor sources. You've got the golden-age mad scientist Luthor, the Byrne-era aristocrat Luthor, and the Hackman-styled funny Luthor. The way he pulled it together and was still scary was terrific.

I was extremely skeptical of Routh the whole time. Something I must mention is that I kept myself in total isolation regarding this movie. I read no press releases, fan discussions, or anything else. The only spoiling I had was what the trailers showed. As such, I went in with the attitude that I would see him fresh as the movie was fresh and just judge him fairly that way. Still, considering how superb Christopher Reeves was as Superman, I couldn't help it. Glad to say I was completely showed up. He was excellent, a perfect choice for the role. He looked the part, acted the part, and most importantly, felt the part. Just that certain feel, you know? Very good casting and kudos too him for doing the role justice.

Bosworth was good as Lois, but James Marsden was terrific. I loved that they made his character honest, and didn't try to play our sympathies against him. I loved that they did let him rescue Lois, but still showed that he was only human just doing the best he could. I loved that he understood what he was caught in and handled it like a standup guy. It will set a good example for his son.

Now, speaking of that... Didn't see it coming. Every ounce of me should have, it should have been plain as day. But I didn't, and for that reason when the piano came flying I was blown out of my seat. And the whole generational thing they had going, with Jason's situation mirroring his father, and Clark repeating Jor-El's monologue was terrific. It adds such a new and fresh dynamic for the films to play with, and I really applaud that they DIDN'T try to maintain the status quo. This was their movie and it was their place to establish a new one.

As for the film itself, it was very solid. The effects were terrific, the camera work was exceptional, and it just had a mythical and fantastic feel too it.

5 out of 4 stars definitely. It was the film I wanted too see, and it made me feel like a little kid. There was an excitement to it that just goes beyond words. Long live Superman.

the watcher said:
To help those who never seen Superman: the movie. This will sum it up for you in 30 seconds. So you won't fell lost when you see Superman Returns.

http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub/superman/index.html
IF they have one for Superman 2 you should show it as well

Entropy said:
It adds such a new and fresh dynamic for the films to play with, and I really applaud that they DIDN'T try to maintain the status quo. This was their movie and it was their place to establish a new one.
I completely agree, I'm sick of everything always trying to maintain a status quo. Not all shows, or all movie franchises will last forever, there should be no status quo but an evolving story. I loved how this plot was completely original, it was something that we've never seen before and it worked.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I need to see this flick... like now.
yes you do.... go!

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
This movie had heart. This movie had action. This movie stayed true to the feel of the first two movies, and This movie created a status quo for a whole new line of movies.

Rather than break away from the other two and basically piss all over movie and comic book continuity.

Superman was much better than X3.

(and you know I liked X3, this is just on a different level)

I feel the exact same way, but I love the X-men more than Superman. And despite it's few flaws, I absolutly loved it.

Ahh hell.

Superman was a better movie.

ManWithoutFear said:
*Tries to compute a movie being that good and compared to X3....*

*Head explodes*

you havn't even seen it yet. You fool.

Latest posts

Back