Superman Returns movie discussion *Spoilers*

How would you rate Superman Returns?

• Total voters
Dr.Strangefate said:
Brainiac shouldn't be the Timm version.

He should be something new, not an Earth-Made computer, but not Kryptonian either. He should be Coluan, but I would prefer him as the machine rather than the humanoid. Although the best Brainiac is the version in the Alex Ross comic book, Justice.

And yes, I like the Brainiac with the green skin.

Hell, he still has green skin in the comics...

I like the S:TAS version, but that's not the only good version, and its certainly not necessarily going to work with this version of the Superman story. Brainiac would have needed to show up in some capacity by now to be the Supercomputer of Krypton.

And you are definitely wrong about the majority of people seeing this won't be familiar with the movies. The majority of people seeing this are going to ONLY be familiar with the movies... Teenagers are one thing, but they aren't the core demographic.

A complete departure from what came before would just piss people off.

I'm not saying a more serious Luthor would have been bad, but I don't get where you're coming from in saying that a Luthor with a sense of humor is this great atrocity. Luthor does have a sense of humor, in the comics its just a bit more twisted, but this is a step in that direction from what came before... He's becoming more and more like the Luthor you want, but an unexplicable change of character would have been bull****.

This is a Sequel, not a new Franchise.

I didn't say most people would have been unfamilar movies, I said most people would have familar with the movies only, so those people would not have been sick of the Post crisis Lex like you are.

I think the Timm version of Brainiac is the best, of course the later version of the Pre crisis Brainiac could work as well (of course the big question would be, what's his motive, why would he care about Supes or Earth). Green Skin would look cheap and lame on the big screen, it should robot verion of PC brainiac, that's the only other version I like. Now this Brainiac could be the central computer for Colu and decides to blow up its own planet is that it will be the only possessing the knowledge from that planet and doing so to other worlds as well. Of course its kinda lame there is no emotional connection between brainiac and Supes, it just makes him another villain in my opinion. You know what, have Brainiac kill that kid, I hate that kid. Brainiac should completely serious, no jokes, no emotions and a terrifying look, not some green skined gimp.

Personally I hate comic relief villains, they are best left in 80s cartoons. Another real estate scheme, God, couldn't have he done something different this time? That the plan didn't make any sense, so Lex didn't come off as clever in this film, all he does is recyle the same scheme that would never work in the first place. I thought Lex had some cool moments, but ultimately he didn't come off as threatening as he should have been.

Brainiac, when portrayed as a computer, is a computer built on Colu to record all information in the galaxy. His way of doing this is by recording an entire planet's history, and then destroying it. He only allowed his own planet to be destroyed in the animated series, and hey, if he wipes out all the Coluans, than where are we going to get Brainiac 5 from?

I agree that he should be emotionless. If not a robot, he'll be Coluan, and therefore be completely devoid of feelings in favor of Knowledge.

We'll see though. I do think Brainiac should show up in the next movie.

I like the idea I posted above about Brainiac being a computer designed to record the end of worlds, superman saves the world, and then Brainiac tries to destroy it... He needs to be cold and rational, but use his rationality as if nobody inhabited the planet but ants.

And I'm not sick Post-Crisis Luthor, I think he's one of the best villains out there. I just don't have an issue with Pre-Crisis Luthor, and I like how he works onscreen.

Victor Von Doom said:
Nobody saw it coming. We all should've....but our logic wouldn't allow us too.

Are you f***ing serious?

I called that one a YEAR ago, as in, the same day I found out Lois has a kid "with another man" in the movie. And so did my dad. And my cousin Shane. And my friend Patrick. And like 50 other people I know. A YEAR ago.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Take me off of your sig. I can no longer be associated with you and your thoughts.

How can your brain even string those words together???

Vic old bud, it pains me to do so.

I was soooooooooo excited about this movie. I wanted it to be great. I knew it would be great.

It wasn't great. It was at the most, average.

I have numerous complaints but I'll keep it short as short as I can.

- Lex Luthor was ****ing horrible. He was just doing an impression of Hackman's Luthor. And I HATE Hackman's Luthor.

Luthor isn't supposed to be your typical "evil for the sake of evil" villain. He doesn't care if people die to further his cause, but he doesn't relish in it either. What's the point of the death of billions? I wanted the REAL Luthor, like he was on Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League/JLU. The one who's out for his own success, not pointless genocide.

- Luthor's plan made no sense whatsoever. All the continent-growing seeds on Krypton aren't going to save you from a carpet-bombing.

- The climax was ludocris. I guess no one told Bryan Singer that KRYPTONITE STRIPS SUPERMAN OF HIS POWERS AND KILLS HIM.

He can't stand up when he's near it.

Let alone LIFT AN ENTIRE ISLAND.

Let alone LIFT AN ENTIRE ISLAND MADE OF KRYPTONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Frank Langella was miscast as Perry White. He's a good actor but he was totally wrong and just boring and bland in the part. Jack Larson should've played Perry White(if you don't know he played the bartender in this movie and he used to play Jimmy Olsen on the George Reeves Adventures of Superman TV show).

- There's a fine line between "homage" and "remake", and this film was walking it. I loved the opening credits too, and a lot of the references to Superman: The Movie. At first. But after a while it was like "Oh come ON this is the same damn movie! I've heard all this dialogue before! I paid 10 bucks to see a NEW Superman movie. Not the 1978 one with better FX and a super-powered infant.

On the plus side, Routh was great. Sam Huntington was great as Jimmy. Even the little kid was a good actor. And the Special Effects were tremendous(aside from a few instances of glaringly obvious CGI). Even Bosworth did a decent job as Lois. But overall, the flick was just average for me.

I give it a 6 out of 10. And it sickens me to do so.:cry:

Found this on IMDb:
Bryan Singer's Superman Returns posted a mighty $21,015,000 in ticket sales on its opening day Wednesday, including midnight screenings the previous night, according to unofficial figures posted by the industry website Showbiz Data today (Thursday). Although well ahead of last year's $15.1-million opening of Batman Begins, the figure paled compared with the $40.5 million taken in during the July 2004 opening day of Spider-Man 2, which holds the record for the biggest box-office take for a Wednesday opener. It also ranks considerably below the Wednesday opening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which debuted with $34.5 million in December 2003.

Darkseid or Doomsday are who I want to see.

Big titan showdown.

As for best comic movie. Sin City and V For Vendetta beats this still.

According to what I've read, in the opening credits you can spot a planet that appears to be New Chronus:

donnanewchronus.jpg

I'll have to keep an eye out for it tomorrow.

I never want to see Doomsday in this franchise. He's just a mindless Deus Ex Machina. Darkseid I might be able to go depending on how they handle him.

Who I really want to see are Brainiac and Bizarro. Metallo, too but he's already going to be the main villain in the game.

And yes TGO, V for Vendetta was a much better film.

I have never read a DC comic.....

But holy $#!+, this was an amazing film!!!

Most of the fanboy's gripes don't really apply to me since this was my first time watching or reading Superman (don't worry, of course I know all the backstories). Such as Lex, Kryptonite, etc. I even thought Bosworth did a great job. Big thumbs up.

A-

Planet-man said:
I never want to see Doomsday in this franchise. He's just a mindless Deus Ex Machina. Darkseid I might be able to go depending on how they handle him.

Hold your tongue planet-man. mindless Deus Ex Machina? I think not. I loved Doomsday origin. I thought it was pretty original and a lot different than your regular "I am the apocalypse" villains. I loved his story. However I do agree to take it easy with him being a movie villain... that shouldn't come for a long while yet.

I'm really hoping for Brainiac in the sequel. The way I'd like it to turn out (peiced together from various versions of the character): Brainiac is a computer intelligence that travels the universe, collecting information. It's not clear how he was created, where he comes from, or how old he is but he is very dangerous. Essentially, what he does is systematically extract information from not just every machine on a planet, but the minds of it's inhabitants, rendering them brain dead. When he reached Krypton, he successfully managed to do this to only one city (Kandor) before Jor-El found a method of capturing his ever-illusive consciousness and sending it into the Phantom Zone. Defeating Brainiac was Jor-El's greatest acheivement, but at the same time he was always guilty that he couldn't stop him sooner.

At the beginning of the sequel, Lex is back and is working on a new project. He knows of the Phantom Zone and is aware that it contains some very bad, very powerful people. He finally discovers a way to open up the Phantom Zone. When he opens it, he accidentally releases Brainiac's mind. Brainiac shares his story. Brainiac feels that in failing to conquer Krypton and only taking a percentage of it's data content he is incomplete. Lex explains that Jor-El's son is here on Earth and that he may just have all the information Brainiac needs buried within the Fortress of Solitude. However, Superman has safeguarded the Fortress to the point where even Brainiac can't get in. Brainiac decides that he must torture the method of gaining entrance to the Fortress out of Superman, and he could use Luthor's help in locating him. In exchange, he will give Luthor the oppurtunity to kill Superman.

But of course, Luthor doesn't know that Brainiac is planning to extract Earth's data before he leaves...

Brainiac would allow for a lot of interesting battles. Of course, he would have a humanoid body, an updated version of the green-skinned, diode-head version. He would also have other bodies and he would have the ability to hack into any computer system and do things like say, launch nuclear weapons.

Singer needs to do Brainiac. They were going to have him in Superman III, but they somehow decided that Richard Pryor would make a much better villain.

The Overlord said:
I did not care for the kooky Lex Luthor, the best version of Luthor was the one from STAS, who was serious and sinister. That's the Lex I grew up with, not the silly Pre crisis one. They should have made someone else the comic relief. This version of Lex felt like was trying to be funny almost all the time and his plan made no sense (how was he going to terraform that land). Why not make Brainiac a jokester well their at it, he can the comic relief in the next film. :roll:
I really disagree, it feel like he was trying to be funny, it was comedy and nicely done in fact. If you want to see a perfect example of them trying too hard, see Braniac Attacks and you will see a clear difference. Strangfate said everything that needed to be said and its all true. STAS is one of the best incantations of Superman ever. And in Kevin Smith's script for Superman 5 he did make Braniac a complete joke.

Planet-man said:
- Luthor's plan made no sense whatsoever. All the continent-growing seeds on Krypton aren't going to save you from a carpet-bombing.
Well considering that the government had no idea whats going, or that Luthor was behind it. They weren't going to just blow **** up and hope it works, for all they know this was an act of nature and blowing it up could only make it worse. And as the continent grows the east coast would be destroyed sending thousands of people to move creating extreme dis order, assuming the govt cant stop it the existing continent will be over populated, and then here comes Lex Luthor saying he knows how to make this new landf habitable. He probably would know how considering he learned everything about this in the fortress of solitude. So Lex has it organize to move the population and set up a govtment with him at the top.
Lex is smarter than just making some doomsday weapon and demand the worl bow to him, he is right who ever owns the land rules it. He believes that he is better than everyone else, only he is fit for the world and everyone else is beneath him, thats one of the reasons he hate Superman, and he decides to remake it. Just because they don't tell you every little detail of his plan doesnt mean it wouldnt work.

- The climax was ludocris. I guess no one told Bryan Singer that KRYPTONITE STRIPS SUPERMAN OF HIS POWERS AND KILLS HIM.

He can't stand up when he's near it.

Its not an island of kryptonite, if it was it would be a bright green jem. The island was composed of Kryptonite, Rock and crytal. the rock and crystal probably block the radiation. It was spread out throughout the island, you saw when he lifted it up he wasnt affected by the kryptonite until the rock/crystals started falling off uncovering it. From then on it was pure will power that lanuched it into space and remember he came very close to dieing, being hospitalized for days

- Frank Langella was miscast as Perry White. He's a good actor but he was totally wrong and just boring and bland in the part. Jack Larson should've played Perry White(if you don't know he played the bartender in this movie and he used to play Jimmy Olsen on the George Reeves Adventures of Superman TV show).
I disagree I thought he was a perfect Perry and I have no idea why you think he is bland or boring.

Baxter said:
Well you remeber the hospital scene. They ever said that some people remember things told to them in comas. Then Lois leans in and whispers in his ear.
Oh I thought she just kissed him on the cheek

Victor Von Doom said:
I guess now comes the dispute of which is the greater superhero movie: Batman Begins or Superman Returns???
I dont know if its better or equal to thme, but its right up there next to it

And I don't really see Darkside working, the whole alien invasion wouldnt really work with a movie. The only villains I can see is Braniac, Metallo, or Doomsday. The scene in Kevin Smith's version with doomsday was really cool and well written

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
So... I'm probably not gonna get to this movie until next weekend... {Insert painful constipated smiley}

:cry:

And I've made my decision that I'm going to see this film in IMAX
do they have the whole film in IMAX? Cause I just remember something saying it was just select scenes.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Brainiac, when portrayed as a computer, is a computer built on Colu to record all information in the galaxy. His way of doing this is by recording an entire planet's history, and then destroying it. He only allowed his own planet to be destroyed in the animated series, and hey, if he wipes out all the Coluans, than where are we going to get Brainiac 5 from?

I agree that he should be emotionless. If not a robot, he'll be Coluan, and therefore be completely devoid of feelings in favor of Knowledge.

We'll see though. I do think Brainiac should show up in the next movie.

I like the idea I posted above about Brainiac being a computer designed to record the end of worlds, superman saves the world, and then Brainiac tries to destroy it... He needs to be cold and rational, but use his rationality as if nobody inhabited the planet but ants.

And I'm not sick Post-Crisis Luthor, I think he's one of the best villains out there. I just don't have an issue with Pre-Crisis Luthor, and I like how he works onscreen.

Who cares abut brainiac 5, I doubt they be making a Legion movie any time soon and I doon't care for the Legion, so frankly screw Brainiac 5.

Frankly I don't like your idea, Brainiac should be sinister, he should have destroyed numerous worlds before comming to Earth, he shouldn't be confused and is trying to destroy Earth by mistake. He should destroy Earth because he is sinister not confused and green skin would look stupid on the screen.

You know what I have liked this Luthor, if his scheme made sense and wasn't recyled from the first movie, that didn't make him seem very clever.

Random said:
do they have the whole film in IMAX? Cause I just remember something saying it was just select scenes.
It's only about 20 minutes, but from what I've heard, it's supposed to be like the movie is happening in the room with you.

You know one thing i noticed recently? When Jor-El talks about the crystals and information in the fortress it says taht they have the total sum knowledge from several planets found in the 28 known galaxies? Total knowledge from the planets. Braaaaaainiac.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I think it's only selected scenes. I heard it was very worth it though. Plus I'll have a cool date to it :twisted:

The whole film is IMAX, but only select scenes are in 3D.

Baxter said:
You know one thing i noticed recently? When Jor-El talks about the crystals and information in the fortress it says taht they have the total sum knowledge from several planets found in the 28 known galaxies? Total knowledge from the planets. Braaaaaainiac.
That would be an interesting tie in, I say when Supes explored the destroyed Krypton it activates Braniac or something like that

I liked the little mention of Gotham in one of the news reports. Gives me a hope for a Batman/Superman film with the casts from this and Batman Begins.

Easily the best Superhero film in awhile, though I can't say I enjoyed it better than Spider-Man.

Definatly beat X3. Of course, what doesn't?

Sacred&Profane said:
I liked the little mention of Gotham in one of the news reports. Gives me a hope for a Batman/Superman film with the casts from this and Batman Begins.

Easily the best Superhero film in awhile, though I can't say I enjoyed it better than Spider-Man.

Definatly beat X3. Of course, what doesn't?
Hulk?

I liked that mentioned on gotham, and while watching the movie I think that a Wolrds Finest could work.

Latest posts

Back