Superman: Secret Origin Discussion *Spoilers*

If issue 5 is the one with Parasite, it did come out, and it was probably the best issue yet... I almost wish they had jumped from issue 1 right into the metropolis stuff, because he is nailing this.

If issue 5 is the one with Parasite, it did come out, and it was probably the best issue yet... I almost wish they had jumped from issue 1 right into the metropolis stuff, because he is nailing this.

I agree.

The first two issues were simply changing the origin to fit in with his stories since Infinite Crisis.

The last two have been much better and issue 4 was really quite good.

I still like Birthright better, though.

I just reread Birthright, and while there is a lot right with it, it doesn't have the small character moments that I really think Superman needs... I think Secret Origin has done a lot more to help explore his relationship with Lois, Jimmy, and Pete White, while the original just focuses on his relationship with his mom, which was good, and on his relationship with Lex, whose portrayal in Birthright has never sat all that well with me... I love the bits with Clark in Africa, the explanation that he pieced his degree in Journalism together over seven years in schools around the globe, building up a reputation that makes it perfect for him to end up with the Daily Planet...

I think I would want anyone making a Superman film to have a solid grasp of both, with Waid's scope and clear vision of who Clark Kent is, with Johns' ability to make the smallest character moments truly matter.

To be honest, I've never been a huge Superman fan, so I'll concede the point about the relationships between the characters. I know how important they are in Spider-Man (my personal favourite) so I can see how they could be important to Supes too.

I'm coming as a relatively new DC fan and a complete stranger to Superman (except for the movies and cartoons, and not even so much the cartoons...and the first few seasons of Smallville which i'm sure don't count for much when talking about the actual comics).

Secret Origins has just seemed to be Geoff Johns justifying his Superman stories since Infinite Crisis (which, but the way I've enjoyed reading recently) whereas Birthright is a much more cohesive, interesting, and believable story. Ive said this before, I think Superman: Secret Origins would have worked a lot better as two or more mini series than one six-issue mini with the first two issues being vignettes that aren't related to the rest of the story). Maybe a trilogy like the Ultimate Galactus trilogy.

I just reread Birthright, and while there is a lot right with it, it doesn't have the small character moments that I really think Superman needs... I think Secret Origin has done a lot more to help explore his relationship with Lois, Jimmy, and Pete White, while the original just focuses on his relationship with his mom, which was good, and on his relationship with Lex, whose portrayal in Birthright has never sat all that well with me... I love the bits with Clark in Africa, the explanation that he pieced his degree in Journalism together over seven years in schools around the globe, building up a reputation that makes it perfect for him to end up with the Daily Planet...

I think I would want anyone making a Superman film to have a solid grasp of both, with Waid's scope and clear vision of who Clark Kent is, with Johns' ability to make the smallest character moments truly matter.

Exactly.

There's just so much more magic in the characterisation of Secret Origin issues 3&4 then in Birthright. Birthright had a darker atmosphere and played the idea of a cynical, media-saturated world a lot better (and it's obvious Johns is trying to emulate that in a few places), but I'd still choose Johns' origin. The only thing I really prefer about Birthright now is Waid's superior study of the "secret identity" concept and how it's far more complicated than just acting like a doofus at the office (which Johns has relegated his vision to).

Secret Origins has just seemed to be Geoff Johns justifying his Superman stories since Infinite Crisis (which, but the way I've enjoyed reading recently) whereas Birthright is a much more cohesive, interesting, and believable story. Ive said this before, I think Superman: Secret Origins would have worked a lot better as two or more mini series than one six-issue mini with the first two issues being vignettes that aren't related to the rest of the story). Maybe a trilogy like the Ultimate Galactus trilogy.

Certainly the first issue should have been condensed a lot more. Granted I hate Superboy and the Legion with a violent, sexual vengeance; but even stil,l the Clark-on-the-farm stuff was dated and didn't bring anything new to the plate.

The Metropolis stuff has been tear-jerkingly brilliant, though.

Last edited:
Issue #6 came out today...11 months after issue #1.

I read about half of it before I had to come back to work. It was okay. I need to go back and read it from the beginning, I don't remember what's going on.

I never read issue 6 of this. Anyone else have any opinions on it?

The perfect Superman film lies somewhere between Birthright and Secret Origin. I have no idea what you could add from Earth One.

i kind of felt like it was a little too on the nose.

The city now has hope and no one shows up to be given their dream by Luthor any more.

I really preferred Birthright a lot. But I'm not really a Superman fan.

Latest posts

Back