Terminator Salvation

Re: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

T3 didn't add anything new or cutting edge to the franchise, in my opinion. It wasn't as interesting as T1 or T2. T1 and T2 were both innovative films. All T3 did was set the stage for T4. In fact, you could have had T4 without T3 - you could have had T3 take place in the future. Instead you got that piece of junk.

Something doesn't have to be innovative to be good. Personally, I thought T3 was better than T1. While an interesting concept, I've always found T1 to be rather boring.

And accepting your destiny

That's what all the films are about.

T1 - Sarah Connor must accept her destiny as mother of the future savior of the world.

T2 - John Connor must accept his destiny as future leader of the human resistance.

T3 - John Connor must accept his destiny as future leader of the human resistance (this is where T3 basically just slows down the franchise). Kate Brewster must accept her destiny as John Connor's wife, and they both hide out in an underground bunker or whatever.

That's what all the films are about.

T1 - Sarah Connor must accept her destiny as mother of the future savior of the world.

T2 - John Connor must accept his destiny as future leader of the human resistance.

T3 - John Connor must accept his destiny as future leader of the human resistance (this is where T3 basically just slows down the franchise). Kate Brewster must accept her destiny as John Connor's wife, and they both hide out in an underground bunker or whatever.

Actually 1 + 2 didn't really have the accepting they were trying to stop Judgement day or just trying to live in the first film.

3rd film John accepts judgement day is inevitable and his role as leader , not at first but by the end even more so when he presses the microphone and says he is in charge.

Actually, here they resist destiny and change the future (which is retcon in T3)

So....there's another reason why T3 was unnecessary. It retconned the last movie.

Actually 1 + 2 didn't really have the accepting they were trying to stop Judgement day or just trying to live in the first film.

3rd film John accepts judgement day is inevitable and his role as leader , not at first but by the end even more so when he presses the microphone and says he is in charge.
T1 was about accepting destiny, in fact, it was necessary for the future of the terminators
So....there's another reason why T3 was unnecessary. It retconned the last movie.
You should of known that seeing how the war was suppose to begin in 1997, not 2003

Last edited:

T1 was about accepting destiny, in fact, it was necessary for the future of the terminators

You should of known that seeing how the war was suppose to begin in 1997, not 2003

Ok ok ok, even if T3 was necessary in some way, it was still directed just like T2.

T1 was about accepting destiny

Kind of yeah but Sarah really just wanted to live. So I don't count it as it was more "I wont let him kill me" than "I accept my destiny

Yep.

Actually, here they resist destiny and change the future (which is retcon in T3)

Agreed accept it's not really retconed as they talk about previous movie , It was just diffrent to how they thought. So not a retcon but just a continuation

Kind of yeah but Sarah really just wanted to live. So I don't count it as it was more "I wont let him kill me" than "I accept my destiny

At the end she accepts that her child will be a great leader and decides to raise him as such = accepts destiny
Agreed accept it's not really retconed as they talk about previous movie , It was just diffrent to how they thought. So not a retcon but just a continuation
It is a retcon saying "oh by the way, that didn't happen like you thought it did, every thing you done was just in vain so we don't have to set this movie several year prior to its actual release" is a retcon in my book

You know, I've always hated the concept of "accepting your destiny" as a plot device, and that's one of the reasons I love the first two Terminator films so much.

They're NOT about accepting your destiny, submitting to the events around you, or any such bull****. They're about fighting back and winning. There's no destiny. There's no fate. There's only what you choose to do based on what you're up against and what you have to work with. Sarah doesn't "accept her destiny" at the end of the first film. She begins preparing herself to do every ****ing thing in her power to prevent that future from happening, while simultaneously training her son to be the leader of humanity in case she fails, not because she has to, or because "it's his fate", but because she wants him to, for she knows from Reese that if John Connor leads the Resistance, humanity will win. It's not destiny. It's just what happened.

No fate but what you make for yourself.

This is the next installment of the Terminator franchise, directed by McG. Christian Bale is in talks to play John Connor.
Bale is already confirmed.

I posted it in the All About Movies thread, but didn't start a thread because I figured if someone else is interested in talking about it they would do so. :D

He can't though

Isn't there a rule about politicians once elected appearing in movies?
No.

The Gubernator made an appearance in 80 Days Around The World and The Rundown and both parts had speaking lines, so that technically required him to follow SAG rules, none of which preclude politicians from appearing in films.

And accepting your destiny
What a load of bull****.

I have no problems with 'accepting destiny' as a plot device, but the whole point of the franchise --- as Planet-man has elaborated upon --- is that they were fighting AGAINST destiny.

John Connor --- or mankind in its entirety --- isn't supposed to 'embrace destiny', it's supposed to fight the future from ever happening so that they don't HAVE to fight back.

Both Sarah and John understood that they had roles to fulfill in the future, but so long as that future never arrives, they are to prevent themselves from ever being needed.

What a load of bull****.

I have no problems with 'accepting destiny' as a plot device, but the whole point of the franchise --- as Planet-man has elaborated upon --- is that they were fighting AGAINST destiny.
But..WHAT IF? their destiny was to fight against destiny?!?!

ZOMG!! :crazy:

What a load of bull****.

John Connor --- or mankind in its entirety --- isn't supposed to 'embrace destiny', it's supposed to fight the future from ever happening so that they don't HAVE to fight back.

Both Sarah and John understood that they had roles to fulfill in the future, but so long as that future never arrives, they are to prevent themselves from ever being needed.

Yes but you can only fight destiny for so long.

Hell it's to be expected with a film franchise for the direction to change , Look at star wars. Episode 4 had the theme of anyone can be a hero. then by episode 6 it changed to redemption.

Now episode 6 is not as good for other reasons. But it happens in franchises it's just the same with this.

Sure there are reasons to hate Terminator

• more comedy than before
  • some say T-X was worse than t-1000
  • some parts were cheesey
  • no sarah

and more. But changing and evolving the story is not one of them. Now I like the film and yes I pointed out faults but I'm saying the change is not that bad. It's not like we find out the terminators are alien robots (Highlander II *shudders*) or they changed it completely into a comedy that is nothing like it should be at all (the chucky films after child's play 3)

They just changed the focus and gave us a pretty damn entertaining movie that some great action , some comedy and the start of the war coming full circle movie wise

now the next one's I'll be curious how they do it. Will they show they people and terminators who go back in time actually go back in time? Will john meet Kyle? should be cool.

What a load of bull****.

He was talking about T3 in which "accepting your destiny" is very much a part of the plot. I mean. . .Judgment Day happens, regardless of them trying to stop it. Both John and his wife have to accept that the future is inevitable and them being freedom fighters in it is inevitable.

Last edited:

Yes but you can only fight destiny for so long.

Not if it doesn't exist, which was the freaking motto of the series.

He was talking about T3 in which "accepting your destiny" is very much a part of the plot. I mean. . .Judgment Day happens, regardless of them trying to stop it. Both John and his wife have to accept that the future is inevitable and them being freedom fighters in it is inevitable.

And that's awful and sad and contradictory to what the first two films stood for.

Not if it doesn't exist, which was the freaking motto of the series.

Ahhhh but you could say the other theme was mankind will eventually build something that destroys us. This film kept that up

Here is some info on plot details that is supposedly reliable:

From Obsessed With Film:
>John Connor is not the main character in the first film, the lead guy is called Marcus.
>Connor will have an expanded role in the second movie (this story is planned to run over a trilogy).
>T4 is a full on macho testosterone flick. However female company comes in the form of Resistance pilot Blair.
>Expect to see T-600s (?800s?) and Kyle Reese (?).
>The film will take influence from THE MATRIX, with some epic robot battles expected.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/t4-story-details-leak.php

From Wiki:
Terminator 4 (previously known as Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, but now rumored to be Terminator: The Return of the Terminator) is the upcoming fourth installment to the Terminator film series, scheduled to be released on May 22, 2009. It is written by David Campbell Wilson, John Brancato, and Michael Ferris, directed by Joseph "McG" McGinty Nichol, and stars Christian Bale as John Connor. Anton Yelchin is playing Kyle Reese, who befriends Marcus, an early Terminator. Sam Worthington is playing Marcus; he was personally recommended to McG by Terminator creator James Cameron. Josh Brolin has been mentioned in a possible role as the Terminator. Moon Bloodgood is reported to be the female lead of the film. She will play "a no-nonsense and battle-hardened member of the resistance". Shooting of the film is expected to start on May 5, 2008 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Stan Winston will supervise the visual effects.

The plot and storyline of the film takes place after the events of T3 around 2019 and focuses mainly on the war between humanity and Skynet in the post-apocalyptic world. John Connor will continue to be the central character along with a new character named Marcus, who will have "equal presence." However, other sources confirmed that Kyle Reese would be the central character and that he'll have a huge part in not just this movie, but in future Terminator movies as well. James Middleton, the associate producer of the film, stated that "It's really about the birth of a new hero," and McG said that it will also be about the development of the Model 101 Terminator. Paul Haggis is in talks to rewrite the script.

On May 9, 2007, it was announced that rights to the Terminator series had passed hands from producers Andrew G. Vajna and Mario Kassar to The Halcyon Company and Derek Anderson. In the Variety article detailing the purchase, it states the fourth film will focus on a 30-year old John Connor in what the producers hope will be a new trilogy. Series creator James Cameron is currently not involved with the project; however, he did encourage McG on the project.

On July 19, 2007, the Terminator 4 project was in legal limbo due to a lawsuit between MGM and Halcyon subsidiary T Asset. According to the article, MGM has an exclusive window of 30 days to negotiate for distribution of the Terminator films. When negotiating for Terminator 4, Halcyon rejected their initial proposal, and MGM suspended negotiations. After the 30 days were over, MGM claimed that the period during which negotiations were suspended did not count and their exclusive period is still open. Halcyon was asking a court for an injunction allowing them to approach other distributors. However, Warner Bros. Pictures will be handling the North American distribution, while Sony Pictures Entertainment will distribute the film overseas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back