That Thread About Old Cartoons: "The kerium rush brought outlaws by the storm!"

ourchair

I've been so stuck juggling concepts of eschatology, political optimism, centennial zeitgeist, environmentalist ideology, and anthropocentric nihilism in developing the Planeteers concept that I've been working on and off for weeks now that I've taken to revisiting more old cartoons.

And I have to say old cartoons are awesome. I don't have much in the way of nostalgia for them, but the ideas are so broad and interesting that I keep thinking that I'd love to develop them into revived properties.

So anyway, here's a thread to discuss old cartoons.

And now, I bring you the most awesome thing Filmation ever made in the history of ever-ness:

[youtube]FD3lmhru3Ik[/youtube]

DISCUSS.

I've been so stuck juggling concepts of eschatology, political optimism, centennial zeitgeist, environmentalist ideology, and anthropocentric nihilism in developing the Planeteers concept that I've been working on and off for weeks now that I've taken to revisiting more old cartoons.

And I have to say old cartoons are awesome. I don't have much in the way of nostalgia for them, but the ideas are so broad and interesting that I keep thinking that I'd love to develop them into revived properties.

So anyway, here's a thread to discuss old cartoons.

And now, I bring you the most awesome thing Filmation ever made in the history of ever-ness:

[youtube]FD3lmhru3Ik[/youtube]

DISCUSS.

Rock on

but it's "The Kerium rush brought outlaws out by the SCORE"

*******, Bravestar looks amazing. And it sounds like the background vocals were done by the same people who did the theme for the X-Men pilot.

*******, Bravestar looks amazing. And it sounds like the background vocals were done by the same people who did the theme for the X-Men pilot.

What.... this one?

[youtube]T0tdsZrQCus[/youtube]

No place to hide,
no place to run,
The Mutant Age,
Has now begun.

X-Men...X-Men
Save the day.... Save the day
X-Men...X-Men
Coming your way!

Magneto's hordes are on the way,
to pillage, burn and plunder,
But, there's one team that will not yield,
The team that strikes like THUNDER!

X-Men...X-Men
Save the day.... Save the day
X-Men...X-Men
Coming your way!

Just for giggles, I added the far superior Japanese intro for the 90's X-Men cartoon
[youtube]DDtHh5Sw79I[/youtube]

Last edited:
If Hollywood really wants to pillage old properties, they can just scrape the entirety of late 20th century cartoons for a wealth of ideas.

Just for giggles, I added the far superior Japanese intro for the 90's X-Men cartoon
[youtube]DDtHh5Sw79I[/youtube]
That is freaking awesome.

And the little dramatic still parallax moment of Jean, Scott and Wolvie is so freaking anime.

Also, ending the opening sequence with "X!" is probably the greatest idea ever.

That is freaking awesome.

And the little dramatic still parallax moment of Jean, Scott and Wolvie is so freaking anime.

Also, ending the opening sequence with "X!" is probably the greatest idea ever.

Yeah, sadly the awesomeness ended with the credits. It was the sucktastic american X-Men cartoon after the credits.

I liked when the horse winked at Bravestarr, then proceeded to shoot the bad guys.
His name is Thirty Thirty.

They met when Bravestarr was told he would need a powerful weapon inside the temple of the Equestroids.

Bravestarr thought the powerful weapon was the shotgun he found inside, but it turned out to be Thirty Thirty himself.

Thirty Thirty owns the shotgun.

And he has a name for it.

He calls it Sarah Jane.

That is how awesome Thirty Thirty is.

*holds up VHS tapes* one of my friends had Bravestar and C.O.P.S. at his parents' house, we're trying to figure out how to hook up my VCR to my Mac.

His name is Thirty Thirty.

They met when Bravestarr was told he would need a powerful weapon inside the temple of the Equestroids.

Bravestarr thought the powerful weapon was the shotgun he found inside, but it turned out to be Thirty Thirty himself.

Thirty Thirty owns the shotgun.

And he has a name for it.

He calls it Sarah Jane.

That is how awesome Thirty Thirty is.

Did Grant Morrison write this!?

*holds up VHS tapes* one of my friends had Bravestar and C.O.P.S. at his parents' house, we're trying to figure out how to hook up my VCR to my Mac.
If I knew how, I'd be converting episodes of Early Edition in a heartbeat. We must research this problem.

Also, what is this C.O.P.S.? I knew a lot of kids my age who were fans but I could never catch it around my schedule.

Grant Morrison wrote all things.

Edit: Did I hear that video correctly? Bravestar takes place on the planet of Texas?
The planet of New Texas, which floats deep in space.

I'm fine with today's cartoons but so many of their intros are just lame pop songs with opening sequences that don't have the storyboarding awesomeness of the old cartoons.

Also, I get exasperated with how many cartoons have to be grounded in a high school/grade school setting. I miss all the ape**** crazy fantasy stuff.

Where are all the space pirate bunnies, alien mice bikers, volting robots, post-apocalyptic bacterial warfare, high tech mountaineering, man-machine interface suits and counter-terrorists wearing weaponized helmets?

Ten points to everyone who can identify every series I'm referring to.

Last edited:
The planet of New Texas, which floats deep in space.

ourchair said:
Also, I get exasperated with how many cartoons have to be grounded in a high school/grade school setting. I miss all the ape**** crazy fantasy stuff.

See, everyone seems to think kids want something they could relate to. I know that's not the case when I was a kid. I wanted big, awesome space ships, things blowing up, and wicked guns.

ourchair said:
Where are all the space pirate bunnies, alien mice bikers, volting robots, post-apocalyptic bacterial warfare, high tech mountaineering, man-machine interface suits and counter-terrorists wearing weaponized helmets?

The first three are easy (Bucky O'Hare, Biker Mice From Mars, and Voltron). The rest I have no clue about...

I think my favorite kid's action cartoon of all time may have to be The Pirates of Dark Water.

Latest posts

Back