That Thread About Work: "Custom kitchen deliveries...!"

A question from a guy applying for his first job:

I am going to college in the fall and need to find a part-time job for the summer. I tried to get one last year (mostly going around to places like Blockbuster and Borders and such to ask for applications to fill out) but never got anything. Is there something I'm missing here?

My experience: Luck and knowing the boss

I tried to get one last year (mostly going around to places like Blockbuster and Borders and such to ask for applications to fill out) but never got anything. Is there something I'm missing here?

Borders isn't doing very well and Blockbuster is on its last wobbly legs.

Borders isn't doing very well and Blockbuster is on its last wobbly legs.

There were three Blockbusters within my general living radius; maybe 2 or 3 miles(?). In the past two months, only 1 stands with in about 10 miles.

Tomorrow is my last day of work until July. All of June of will be crazy. I'd rather keep working and have more money for the SDCC trip.

I finally got a job as a counselor/handyman at a theatre summer camp. The pay's not good, (I'm only paid when I help with tech stuff, which I won't be able to help with for a while) but I'm good friends with everyone working there and the kids love me, so it evens out.

The biggest problem I have is with the creative output. You see, the main writer is one of my high school english teachers. While he's a cool guy and a published writer, he's honestly not that good. Ever since this camp started, he's basically used it to get out stuff that he's written. And the last year's play they put on was just unwatchable.

I might be overreacting, since his stuff is much better when he has a co-writer, which he does this year. And most of the kids probably won't recognize the quality as long as he puts enough jokes in. So I guess we'll see.

Sorry for the double post, but today was a pretty big disaster.

Around 2 everyday, we'll break the kids up into group so they can go to various stations for activites. One of them is Story Time, where we basically show them a bunch of old cartoons on Youtube on a projector. Since this is a theater camp, we'll let them watch the video, then play the video again without sound so they can be the voice actors and make up their own story. The man in charge of finding and picking the videos is one of the head counselors.

Today, he found what looked like an animated version of The Giving Tree. He decided not to play it, since he the animation quality was terrible. However, the kids saw the video in his history and asked him to play it. (Because everyone likes the Giving Tree.)

So he palyed it, and it went along pretty good until the little boy dropped the F-bomb.

The head conselor only skimmed the video before deciding not to play it, and he didn't realize that it was actually a really off-color parody of the book. (It's very faithful to the source material for the first minute, and the video never claimed to be anything more. Jerks.)

The kids took it extrodinarily well. A lot of them recognized the word, but they were mature enough to realize it was a terrible thing to say and shouldn't be repeated. They seemed more upset by the fact that anyone would dare use that word in relation to the Giving Tree. Everyone in the room got a whole bunch of points for being so good about it.

It was clearly an accident, and it could have been much worse, but the camp will have to take responsibility and e-mail the parents. I don't know what the consequences will be, but they will not be good.

I am at work, bored. All my work is done and I still have another hour and 15 minutes to go.

Someone come over and entertain me.

Snow usually cancels work for me. Today something ironic happened. Snow gave me work today. I was supposed to have a day off because it was a half-day at the schools. But with snow, they had a delayed opening (to try to avoid a 5th snow day), and now there is an afterschool session going on.

Well screw it. Not going. I already made plans with friends and not going to cancel on them. Besides, I'm already working some extra hours this week that basically "pays for" today anyways. I'm good.

We have to get rid of one of the big freezers at work by tomorrow so all the employees got to take as much ice cream stuff as they wanted today, totally free. We all took bags and bags full, and a lot of it's excellent, expensive stuff like Haagen-Dasz bars. It was like one of those dreams. :heart:

Awesome. :)

The only thing close to that over here is that we had an awesome, awesome BBQ last week where everything was completely free, completely homemade by the on-duty gourmet chef and I had what may have been the finest burger I've ever eaten. There was free ice cream the day before actually; just a cone each, but still very much appreciated.

Last edited:
So I got offered to take over the parts department at my job last week. Why is this a problem? Well, I don't work in parts. Or particularly like working in parts when I have to do it. And the actual parts employees are some of them most ridged, unchanging, entitled bastards I've ever worked with. And it'll be my job to fix that. And on top of that its happening because we're closing one of our stores, the third since I started with the company in 2009, and shifting 2 employees to our location.

this is going to be a huge mess when it hits.

So I'm working with thesummer camp again.

1. There's this little kid who walks up to me every day and differentiates between called me a bearded monkey and his lawyer.

2. I met Brenda Lee yesterday, who was taking her grandson to the camp. Except that he didn't want this camp and they had only come here due to a mistake. Perhaps I should be discouraged.

3. I'm writing 30-second skits for the kids to perform. No idea if I get paid extra.

Latest posts

Back