The All About Comics Thread 4: Gemini Loves Crappy Variant Covers

Re: The All About Comics Thread 4: Mole Is Reading Watchmen?!

Yeah. And then it folded back into the Captain America book. That felt more like they were just letting Civil War intersect with Bru's plans for his book.

Ah, after everything that happened I thought Civil war was created for the one goal of having a reason to kill captain america. The other changes were so quickly fixed it seems the most logical reason.

Ah, after everything that happened I thought Civil war was created for the one goal of having a reason to kill captain america.

I seem to remember the plan being to kill Cap in Civil War but Bru objected because it really was his story. So I think that at least at one point the plan was indeed to kill Cap in Civil War, however short-lived that might have been.

Ah, after everything that happened I thought Civil war was created for the one goal of having a reason to kill captain america. The other changes were so quickly fixed it seems the most logical reason.
Civil War wasn't created to kill Cap, but it was an idea that Millar wanted to do, which didn't turn out as E mentioned above.

I seem to remember the plan being to kill Cap in Civil War but Bru objected because it really was his story. So I think that at least at one point the plan was indeed to kill Cap in Civil War, however short-lived that might have been.

Ah, I meant the way he died was only possible because of civil war (my understanding) is without civil war he never would been at the court house to get shot right?

So I was viewing it like this. Cvil war as movie. Beginning = tie-in just before , middle = big battles , End = end of civil war , resolve (if that's the right word) = captain america been shot.

It felt to me like the entire drive of it was to lead to captain america been shot. Had he of died in battle or anything it wouldn't have been as emotional but the man who basically represents the beliefs of old american been arrested and then gunned down in the street like a joe nobody is like wow.

Ah, I meant the way he died was only possible because of civil war (my understanding) is without civil war he never would been at the court house to get shot right?

No. If you read the previous 24 issues of Captain America you can see a very deliberate move toward that point. It was a very meticulous plan set forth by Red Skull and Dr. Faustus. So even though it seems like it was a direct result of Civil War and was dependent on it, it wasn't really. If you read Captain America 1-24 and never read Civil War everything still works out perfectly. The issues after #25 flesh that out even more.

So...whether the plan involved him being on the courthouse steps I can't remember, but (Captain America spoilers here)
the Agent 13 hypnosis and setup for her to re-enter Steve's life and get close enough to kill him
was set up in Captain America #1.

Even if it didn't happen specifically on the courthouse steps, it was going to happen.

Even if it didn't happen specifically on the courthouse steps, it was going to happen.

That is true. I assumed if he wasn't arrested it couldn't happen at all as he wouldn't be in the open and helpless. Closest would be during a fight but he would have his shield to stop bullet. I'm thinking about it wrong most likely and you are right it would have happened anyway.

It was something Brub wanted to do later in the series, but the oppurtunity Civil War presented caused him to move it up significantly

Ok I have a question. I bought supergirl 31 today. Here is my question. I know supergirl 32 came out on the 6th according to dc comics's website. Looking at the site 31 wich I bought today came out July.

How come the cover says September 08? I thought if it said September it would have come out August so people still have it as the new issue in september before the one in september comes out.

I guess i'm asking how does dates on comics work?

Ok I have a question. I bought supergirl 31 today. Here is my question. I know supergirl 32 came out on the 6th according to dc comics's website. Looking at the site 31 wich I bought today came out July.

How come the cover says September 08? I thought if it said September it would have come out August so people still have it as the new issue in september before the one in september comes out.

I don't know why exactly, but whatever the current month the comics comes out in, the month in the comic will always be two months ahead. So if Spider-Man #591 came out in January 2009, the comic will say March 2009, etc.

It's something I've wondered about at one point, too.

I don't know why exactly, but whatever the current month the comics comes out in, the month in the comic will always be two months ahead. So if Spider-Man #591 came out in January 2009, the comic will say March 2009, etc.

It's something I've wondered about at one point, too.

Ah thanks. I wonder why it's two months.

Last edited:

I'm surprised no one here knows the answer.

I tradewait, so I never knew about this.

Normally I get the trades too (easier and you get full story in one go) but I saw it and now it's really bugging me not knowing why :lol:

GOOGLE TO THE RESCUE!!

Magazines and most publications display dates that are ahead of the actual date that the issue is released. According to Wikipedia and as many other sources as I could find, this is an old practice done so that publications can still appear to be current some time after they've been released. This is also so that newsstands know how long to keep an issue on the shelf. (Which would be supported by the fact that most LCSs I've been to do tend to keep issues on the shelf for two or three months before taking them down.)

Someone on the wizard universe message boards also claimed that it's because content from various publications is reprinted in something called the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, and that this usually happens exactly two months after the publication is first put out.

GOOGLE TO THE RESCUE!!

Magazines and most publications display dates that are ahead of the actual date that the issue is released. According to Wikipedia and as many other sources as I could find, this is an old practice done so that publications can still appear to be current some time after they've been released. This is also so that newsstands know how long to keep an issue on the shelf. (Which would be supported by the fact that most LCSs I've been to do tend to keep issues on the shelf for two or three months before taking them down.)

Someone on the wizard universe message boards also claimed that it's because content from various publications is reprinted in something called the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, and that this usually happens exactly two months after the publication is first put out.
Moonie's got it.

This made sense when shipping was a lot slower, but I think it's an outdated practice. I'm more used to magazines now being explicit about this, reading, "DISPLAY UNTIL" but now it just confuses me when I'm at the comic store.

For example, does the September Previews catalog, released in mid-August deal with comics released in September or those in October? And if so, does that mean the comics are marked those dates or two month-dates ahead?

This stuff always confuses me so I will just continue ignoring it.

I've been looking for something new to get into lately, but have mostly been disappointed with stuff. Recent reads -

DEMO - It was alright, but it seemed to fall short of its premise. Brian Woods' problem is that he believed that he could deviate from said premise a whole lot and that the power of the stories would hold them aloft. Not true. The best stories take a sci-fi premise, add a little angst, and then maybe cap it off with a twist. That's a great formula, like a teen version of The Twilight Zone. But the stories that have barely a hint of the supernatural, if any at all, are just ****ing boring. I was hoping that the book would have something original to say about teenagers but it just rehashes the same old stuff, and does it in a way that feels like it was written by a self-absorbed teenager. I hate to sound like I'm tearing it apart, I was just sort of disappointed.

Fables - I read the first volume, and I'm aware that the series has a lot of fans here, but I wasn't impressed. Again, great concept, but the whole thing felt sort of average and stale. I didn't dislike it enough that I'll never read another volume of it again, but I'm certainly not rushing to read the rest of the series. And Bill Willingham writes some of the most clunky expository dialog I've seen in a comic book.

I'm also reading Charles Burns's Black Hole. It's actually turning out to be pretty good.

After watching that Robert Kirkman video, I think I might re-read The Walking Dead volume 1 and give it a second shot. (I - surprisingly enough - didn't like it much the first time around.)

Last edited:

The first volume of Fables is quite weak (contrary to what TOG thinks) but it definitely picks up in volume two or three.

As long as you continue reading one day.

Latest posts

Back