The All About Comics Thread 4: Gemini Loves Crappy Variant Covers

Re: The All About Comics Thread 4: Mole Is Reading Watchmen?!

MissSinister.jpg

I wonder if there is something behind Marvel turning all of their villains female...

Or they just realized that women are the root of all evil.

MissSinister.jpg

I wonder if there is something behind Marvel turning all of their villains female...

Or they just realized that women are the root of all evil.
Byrne has secretly replaced Joey Quesadilla.

0MG SKRULL INVASION!!11

I heard she's a Suicide Girl.

You guys have probably heard about the Superman 2000 revamp Millar, Morrison, Waid and Peyer pitched to DC. It sounded pretty epic. I just recently found two blogs that have just put up excerpts and are discussing bits which I and I'm sure many others would be interested in.

http://graphicontent.blogspot.com/search/label/superman 2000 pitch
http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/search/label/superman 2000

Their proposal for a Lois/Clark break-up/retcon is absolutely insane. It's like One More Day, but not absolutely terrible.

I don't know what to think of it.

Last edited:

I always thought how cool it would be if every guy had some random color sperm.

You wouldn't know what color you got until you hit puberty.

"Damn it, I got pink!"

Taste the rainbow indeed.

This reminds me of a rainbow party comment I made on that other step-child site E created.

You guys have probably heard about the Superman 2000 revamp Millar, Morrison, Waid and Peyer pitched to DC. It sounded pretty epic. I just recently found two blogs that have just put up excerpts and are discussing bits which I and I'm sure many others would be interested in.

http://graphicontent.blogspot.com/search/label/superman 2000 pitch
http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/search/label/superman 2000
As I said on Twitter, I find it hilarious how the whole proposal has basically been cannibalized by both companies over the past decade.

It seems like every idea has been used somewhere by either the writers involved or somebody else.

I'm sure it would've been pretty revolutionary if it hadn't been rejected. I agree with some of the comments made to the effect that if DC had actually been willing to go ahead with this kind of thing in the late 90s, they would've been the ones with all the success at the beginning of this decade rather than Marvel.

I've been recently thinking and it of been brought up before but DC comics fixed a lot of errors, Improved characters and revamped others with their multi-universe cross-over that from my understanding took all the diffrent versions of charracters and picked the best ones to stick with right?

I know dc and marvel copy each other. Would it work if marvel tried this with all of it's universes like say 616 , MC2 , Ultimate, 2099 , Exiles, Mutant X and the rest I've forgotten?

I was just thinking this could help the regular Marvel universe. Some changes could be say Ultimate versions of Spider-man and Captain America stay in regular one. This resurrects Steve (assuming he's still dead) Fixes Brand new day crap people don't like but still giving us a young spider-man.

I don't know could work could be a really silly idea

I've been recently thinking and it of been brought up before but DC comics fixed a lot of errors, Improved characters and revamped others with their multi-universe cross-over that from my understanding took all the diffrent versions of charracters and picked the best ones to stick with right?

I know dc and marvel copy each other. Would it work if marvel tried this with all of it's universes like say 616 , MC2 , Ultimate, 2099 , Exiles, Mutant X and the rest I've forgotten?

I was just thinking this could help the regular Marvel universe. Some changes could be say Ultimate versions of Spider-man and Captain America stay in regular one. This resurrects Steve (assuming he's still dead) Fixes Brand new day crap people don't like but still giving us a young spider-man.

It's not a patently bad idea, but I dunno, I prefer to live with alternate treatments than this strangely streamlined continuity that DC favors. The thing is, I think these approaches set the companies apart in a very substantial way:

For DC, the particulars of continuity matter, and whenever they come up with a 'preferable treatment' somewhere, it is their preference to integrate into the main continuity to enhance it. Their approach is essentially one of consciously overhauling the state of affairs by swallowing the above par treatments.

For Marvel, continuity is set as an 'at the moment' thing that exists only as a Present State of Truth. In execution, this means continuity becomes revised insofar as it is pertinent to the story. For example, if a recent story says something happened, it essentially only pays attention to whatever past events matter to the story being presently told.

Take the X-Men: Uncanny only acknowledges recent events, and no matter how 'recent' the past is (Scott listened to 80s music, Professor X grew up during the Nixon years or Beast had a swinging 60s past) it becomes negated in a mini that decides to 'retell' the past as either being a recent past or a distant past. They contradict each other, but it doesn't matter.

Peter Parker's generation listened to 'twist' records, survived flower power and his wife was once offered to do a nude scene in a "Schwarzenheimer" action movie. Their coming of age years are essentially fluid, and their marriage has experienced the entirety of the last 3 decades of pop culture.

Functionally speaking, it becomes futile for one to even quibble about continuity in Marvel because The Past becomes an intangible thing shifted and shaped to meet the demands of The Present.

It's not a patently bad idea, but I dunno, I prefer to live with alternate treatments than this strangely streamlined continuity that DC favors. The thing is, I think these approaches set the companies apart in a very substantial way:

For DC, the particulars of continuity matter, and whenever they come up with a 'preferable treatment' somewhere, it is their preference to integrate into the main continuity to enhance it. Their approach is essentially one of consciously overhauling the state of affairs by swallowing the above par treatments.

For Marvel, continuity is set as an 'at the moment' thing that exists only as a Present State of Truth. In execution, this means continuity becomes revised insofar as it is pertinent to the story. For example, if a recent story says something happened, it essentially only pays attention to whatever past events matter to the story being presently told.

Take the X-Men: Uncanny only acknowledges recent events, and no matter how 'recent' the past is (Scott listened to 80s music, Professor X grew up during the Nixon years or Beast had a swinging 60s past) it becomes negated in a mini that decides to 'retell' the past as either being a recent past or a distant past. They contradict each other, but it doesn't matter.

Peter Parker's generation listened to 'twist' records, survived flower power and his wife was once offered to do a nude scene in a "Schwarzenheimer" action movie. Their coming of age years are essentially fluid, and their marriage has experienced the entirety of the last 3 decades of pop culture.

Functionally speaking, it becomes futile for one to even quibble about continuity in Marvel because The Past becomes an intangible thing shifted and shaped to meet the demands of The Present.

That is true. You do make a good point. Perhaps if it was a one time thing Marvel did just to spice it up so to speak it could work. Also if they did it maybe we could get some characters like "Spider-girl" been brought in to the regular universe so during events (hate events ironically) like say another Civil war type with sides we could get some great Spider-man and his daughter (who would be roughly the same age as him if ultimate took over) on diffrent sides. That would be very interesting.

Also following the same thought uninteresting characters could be made interesting and useful. Take Aunt May (I'm using spider-man more as an example as i'm more familiar with that then say x-men) I was thinking if it happened it could force peter to tell aunt may he's spider-man early and who Mayday is.

In doing that Aunt May becomes highly important as she would have to cover up for Peter and Mayday maybe passing her off his sister or something. If the police or anyone get's suspicious she could give them alibis and help them out .

I would help they don't do it too much like say one big event and keep the changes. The only ones I wouldn't cross over would be the apes and zombies as they shouldn't merge and be kept fun with maybe fun crossovers now and again.

But again you do have a good point about it making them diffrent to DC in not doing it.

I don't read enough DC to know how well they handle retcons, but Marvel is simply unable to hold their retcons. Someone always inevitably comes down the line and wants to use an element that was retconned out and they do.

My favorite epic Marvel retcon fail is the Clone Saga - a MAJOR retcon that failed so horribly that they had to make another MAJOR retcon (OMG NORMAN OSBOURN HAS BEEN ALIVE THIS WHOLE TIME WTF) to make it "work".

My favorite epic Marvel retcon fail is the Clone Saga - a MAJOR retcon that failed so horribly that they had to make another MAJOR retcon (OMG NORMAN OSBOURN HAS BEEN ALIVE THIS WHOLE TIME WTF) to make it "work".

Yeah they did kinda **** there didn't they. The clone saga at first I thought was really cool, I loved the Scarlet Spider. But by the end it was ruined which was unfortunate to say the least. It had so much promise until they ruined it.

I don't read enough DC to know how well they handle retcons, but Marvel is simply unable to hold their retcons. Someone always inevitably comes down the line and wants to use an element that was retconned out and they do.

I wasn't thinking of massive retcons like this, so much as the rules of continuity.

In the case of the Clone Saga, the rules I mentioned don't apply. It's an explicit attempt to resolve a story... and a bad one at that. And it's resolved with an explicit retcon... as in "I thought you were DEAD!" "Yes, Peter but..."

But in most cases, there are thousands of IMPLICIT Marvel retcons... say, "Green Goblin appears again and he's going to throw someone off the bridge... AGAIN!" I just assume that the only time he's ever really done it is with Gwen, as far as continuity is concerned or they just act like Doc Ock was never replaced by a woman, until someone wants to actually bring it up.

Which is why there's no such thing as a real retcon in Marvel. Things just get "not talked about" which also gives an elastic ability to bring old forgotten stuff up... most often as a joke, though there are exceptions (such as when Dan Slott pulls off the frightening task of being in-continuity but not stupid in She Hulk).

Ourchair is absolutely right. I like how DC handles their universe for the most part, but it works because it's the DC universe. Their properties are expansive, regularly consuming properties from other companies and folding them into their universe. Plus they have a good twenty years on Marvel. It works because DC is essentially a fantasy setting, whereas Marvel tries (loosely) to be the "real world". Marvel wouldn't benefit from doing a big continuity retcon because they don't need to, and honestly, it wouldn't fit the flavor of their world.

Yeah they did kinda **** there didn't they. The clone saga at first I thought was really cool, I loved the Scarlet Spider. But by the end it was ruined which was unfortunate to say the least. It had so much promise until they ruined it.

The Clone Saga could have been great. It started off really good. But Marvel's balls shriveled up in the middle of it and they couldn't go through with it.

Marvel does that with almost every big event - they don't have the balls to continue with the things they set in motion, hence the retcons.

Or maybe it's that they just don't have the talent in their writers to keep it going.

Spider-Man unmasking, New X-Men, House of M...those are just recent ones.

It's really lame.

The Clone Saga could have been great. It started off really good. But Marvel's balls shriveled up in the middle of it and they couldn't go through with it.

Marvel does that with almost every big event - they don't have the balls to continue with the things they set in motion, hence the retcons.

Or maybe it's that they just don't have the talent in their writers to keep it going.

Spider-Man unmasking, New X-Men, House of M...those are just recent ones.

It's really lame.

Civil War in general hasn't even had that much of an impact.

Civil War in general hasn't even had that much of an impact.

Didn't it lead to cap been killed? That's pretty big.

Didn't it lead to cap been killed? That's pretty big.

Yeah. And then it folded back into the Captain America book. That felt more like they were just letting Civil War intersect with Bru's plans for his book.

Latest posts

Back